Cindy Probably Has Cancer (osa)

Guest Bonansa

Guest Bonansa

Last Wednesday night, Cindy seemed unable to get comfortable on her bed and repeatedly took round trips to me and DH throughout the evening. We checked her water, took her out. Still this continued and later that evening she started limping (hind leg). We took her to the e-vet, who took x-rays and the radiologist said that it was probably osteosarcoma (OSA). Needless to say, we were devastated at this totally unexpected news.

Today, we took her to a nearby vet center that has a board-certified oncologist and is very familiar with Dr. Couto's work. Cindy had chest x-rays (hooray! clear lungs!) and bloodwork. When the bloodwork comes back tomorrow, we will find out if amputation is viable.

MY QUESTION: The oncologist says that we should go ahead and amputate without an aspiration, given all the factors that point to OSA. (We don't want a biopsy). We have NO hestitation whatsoever in doing the amp, however, we can't help but think about the 1% chance that it may not be cancer. Is this something we should be concerned about, or just go with the 99% and do the amp without confirmation?

[i read Winslow's wonderful and inspiring story tonight. It really gives us hope for the future.]

Thanks for any comments/advice!

Nancy

I'm so sorry about this news ....

A few years ago when I faced the same situation I did the amputation without having a confirming biopsy or aspirate. My understanding was even with a biopsy there was a chance that it would not provide a confirmation and the biopsy was very painful and could cause additional issues. My boy was in so much pain that I wanted to move to the amputation as quickly as possible.

I might suggest that you send the x-rays to Dr Couto for a second opinion.

I am so sorry.

My Polli age 10 was diagnosed in Oct. after tripping on the steps and fracturing her leg. The x-ray looked suspicious. We opted to amp the very next day. We started chemo the day after that and we didn't look back.

We had no time to think. Only you can make the decision about the biopsy vs. straight to amp.

Biopsy is very painful and done under a general. The results take a few days. Then she would have to be put back under a general for amputation. Me? I'd redo it exactly how I did it. But only you can make the decision for you and your family.

Wishing you and your girl the best possible outcome. Please feel free to pick my brain, or whatever I have left of one.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't think you can count on an aspiration as definitive one way or another. It could very well be that the particular groups of cells gathered shows no cancer. There is no way to be any surer with an aspiration in my opinion. And it sounds like you already know how painful a biopsy is...I would just go ahead with the amp and if you want to, have the amputated limb biopsied. :grouphug

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

I am sorry I have no advise, but sending lots of prayers and hugs.... :grouphug:hope :hope

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

Well, I can tell you that the quality of life for a tripod is no less than for a healthy dog. You would not have "ruined" her life by taking her leg. Sure, the proceedure will be hard for her to go through but is she is otherwise healthy and strong she will do fine. Its hard to let go of the doubt but what ever you do you can't look back. Its such a small chance that its something else, but it IS something in there making her hurt.

Are the x-rays in digital form? If so, send to Dr. Couto ASAP for his opinion. Sorry you're having to deal with this possibility. :(:grouphug Meanwhile, be sure that her pain is managed well with meds.

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm sorry to hear of the position you find yourself in :grouphug

You said you can't help but think about the 1% chance that it might not be cancer - and I do understand that. But (and it's a big but...and it comes to you from someone who now has a tripod due to osteo) I'd really be more concerned about the 99% chance that it may very well be cancer and then get that leg and its crappy contents off ASAP. Time is of the absolute essence if it is indeed cancer. I can't stress that enough.

Darcy is a tripod due to osteo and I've thought about this sort of scenario a lot since her diagnosis. In Darcys case, we had no warning of her cancer - she'd had NO symptoms and she just broke her leg whilst walking. She was xrayed within hours and amputated the same day. If we ever had a situation such as the one you are going through, I would (if the dog was a suitable candidate for amputation, because I am aware that not all dogs are) whip that leg off immediately.

I'd rather take a chance and have a cancer free dog on 3 legs than take time to decide and possibly end up with no choices to be made (if you see what I mean).

:grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest Bonansa

Thanks, guys for all your advice and support. Yeah, we need to get that leg off. I am still waiting on the call about the blood work. Hopefully, it is good news and we can do the amp on Friday.

Tomorrow, we are getting pictures taken with our girl.

Nancy (I'm Nancy too), I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. When Winnie was diagnosed, we did the biopsy---not being very knowledgeable about osteo (this was almost 5 years ago)---and I wish we hadn't. It came back not 100% conclusive, but given the odds, we did the amputation. After they took the leg off, my vets, on their own, for their knowledge, attempted to biopsy it again. The leg completely shattered at the tumor site. So in retrospect, I wouldn't have wasted that time waiting for biopsy results. I just thank God that we got that leg off before it shattered when my precious girl was 4 legged, and Winnie would have been in excruciating pain. And we would have had an emergency amputation, costing a lot more than it did.

This is such a hard time. But you have this going for you---you know in your hearts what you are going to do. Once making that decision, you are able to move forward and help your girl in any way you can. And her lungs are clear! That is important, and very positive news.

Please come here, and Circle of Grey, to talk, ask questions, vent. There are, unfortunately, too many of us who have dealt with the monster, and know what you're going through

Cindy is in my prayers.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Sending my many prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest myjazzy

Just for peace of mind I would send the x-rays to Dr. Couto. If it looks like OS in the x-rays, it probably is, and even a biopsy can come back inconclusive. If you were intending to do the amputation if you got positive confirmation with a biopsy, I'd just go ahead with it. IMO, the sooner you get rid of the lesion in the leg, the better the chance that it hasn't metastazied. Clear lungs is a good sign.

:grouphug

Guest Bonansa

Your words mean so much to me. Thanks for the hugs and prayers, all. Got the call just a few minutes ago. Her bloodwork came back fine, so we're going to do the amp on Friday morning. I thought I was ready for this, (and it IS a relief to know that there is something we can take action on to help Cindy) but knowing now that the very next step is the amp, I am tearing up. This is it. Good thing it's time to go home.

Tonight, I'm going to think about all the good stories (Winslow, and Winnie surviving 3 1/2 years!) and the good times ahead we will have with her.

Thanks guys.

N.

Your girl will be in our thoughts and prayers. See if your vet can put a compression sweater on her immediately after her amp. By doing so, it will greytly reduce the chance of swelling and brusiing. Polli had NO bruising or swelling because of the sweater. It's like a tight danskin.

Also, regardless of whether or not you think she needs pain meds, stay on top of it. It's much easier to stay on top of then to try and catch up when she is in pain. The first 10 days suck and you will question what the he77 you did. We all did. Me included.

I really thought there was a part of Polli that was gone forever and I thought that part was her spirit.

Polli came back to us. It takes time. It's a huge physical and emotional adjustment for them.

Many prayers for you both. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. Polli is 5 months post amp march 9.

What chemo protocol is she having and when is she starting? Polli started the day after her chemo.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm glad you've decided to proceed with the amp. and that all tests look good! Will continue to hold your precious girlie in my prayers and light. Please consider joining the yahoo group Circle of Grey for additional support and advice. Sending hugs to you, too. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.