Monty Has Been "fired" By The Onco Vet

Guest greytmonty

Guest greytmonty

We saw the oncology vet today. Monty had a full abdominal ultrasound and then a recheck. She reviewed the multiple path reports including the last one, the IHC staining. She agrees with that (and with Dr. Couto of course) that Monty DOES NOT HAVE AND DID NOT EVER HAVE Lymphoma. 7 chemos later and thousands of dollars later, his diagnosis is plasmacytoma. She did not want to blame the original pathologist but did say if we had a question about how the original diagnosis was (mis) made we should send all the slides to the chief of pathology at Penn to get his opinion. I don't know if I want to pursue that, probably not, but if I want to recoup all my money by suing I guess that would be the next step.

I am not going to focus on that, however, I am just happy!

We are donating Monty's chemo meds that were donated to us from OSU to a greyhound we met at CARES. His owner is from PGC and she got some meds already from OSU, but if she needs more they will be there for her.

HOORAY!!!! :colgate

Guest TBSFlame

This is great news and it makes us all very happy.

Regarding: She did not want to blame the original pathologist but did say if we had a question about how the original diagnosis was (mis) made we should send all the slides to the chief of pathology at Penn to get his opinion.

I think you should make the chief of pathology aware that this was misread, at least send him a letter. It is just too important that they do their job right. It might save someone else from having to go through this horror.

Guest greytmonty

Regarding: She did not want to blame the original pathologist but did say if we had a question about how the original diagnosis was (mis) made we should send all the slides to the chief of pathology at Penn to get his opinion.

I think you should make the chief of pathology aware that this was misread, at least send him a letter. It is just too important that they do their job right. It might save someone else from having to go through this horror.

To clarify. It was NOT PENN that made the mistake, it was a different lab. She is saying send the slides to Penn if I want satisfaction as to why the original error was made.

Well, if one is going to get fired or laid off, this is totally the only way to go-- get fired by the oncologist and told not to come back! :colgate

It is hard to say who will be happier about no more chemo.... but I'm guessing your whole family will be doing the Happy Dance about this

wonderful news.

Carol

Greyhound Fleece Jackets

Greyhound Pack: EdWin, Jethro. and Lucky; Foster Jinks; Angels Janet, Faster, Blake, Navarre, Murray, and Festus.

Guest Winterwish

I am so,so happy for you and Monty! And I'm glad to see you're feeling happy as the absolute main emotion. Sending a big hug to you greytmonty!  :bighug  

This is so important and I did this also when a serious misdiagnosis was made on my bridge boy several years ago at the major medical center here for animals,as well as being experienced with greyhounds. The results of the misdiagnosis,had I gone thru' with their recommended urgent treatment and surgery,would have been absolutely heartbreaking had I ever found out after the fact,that he never needed the amputation recommended. 

I understand a bit of what you're feeling greytmonty,and I'm so glad for you and your family that all will be well for your beautiful fella' Monty. Monty has always been so blessed you're his mom and I know you love him dearly.

Yaaay for you Monty sweetheart,and knowing you're going to be okay really chokes me up in the gladest of ways. :kiss2 

That is just the best news. I'm sorry you all went through this. I would definitely make sure the head of the lab who read the slides wrong was notified. As someone else said, to prevent anyone else from going through this nightmare. It's not about getting someone fired, it's about the lab learning from it's mistakes.

Please be sure to spoil Monty like crazy...and be good to yourself, too.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest greytmonty
That is just the best news. I'm sorry you all went through this. I would definitely make sure the head of the lab who read the slides wrong was notified. As someone else said, to prevent anyone else from going through this nightmare. It's not about getting someone fired, it's about the lab learning from it's mistakes.

Please be sure to spoil Monty like crazy...and be good to yourself, too.

again, to clarify, it was NOT Penn that made the mistake, it was another lab. I am not mentioning it here for legal reasons.

Monty is so spoiled he is the only dog who GAINED weight during chemo! 2 lbs, all pumpkin pie I think!!!!!!

With the way this month has been going for us here, this is truly a blessing. That boy of yours deserves every good thing in life to come his way, as do you for the rollercoaster ride you've been on, not only fianancially but emotionally.

The lab who I know you don't want mentioned, is the same lab that dx Wayne's Plasmacytoma. Shame on them!! That's a gross mistake

I don't know a thing about chemo drugs, but thank God there were no serious problems for Monty.

Thank you for totally making my day!!

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

What wonderful and majorly deserved news!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

From Monty's Florida Fanclub:

HOORAY! YIPPEE! HALLELUJAH! HOLY COW! GREAT! FANTASTIC! SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOCIOUS! FABULOUS! EXTRAORDINARY! And besides that, it couldn't have happened to a better "guy"!

Have to stop now. The screen is getting blurry. Must have something in my eyes.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead