Small Victories Are Not So Small

RobinM

We took Beau into get weighed today and to run another cbc/chem. He weighed 52.9, up from 52.4 last week BUT that was on a different scale at a different vet.

So, I think, it's safe to assume he has not lost anymore thank GOD.

He is back to eating ONLY fish because the oatmeal was causing explosive "D". He can not stay on only fish as it does not have all the nutrients in it but until we see somewhat of an improvement in his poop, there is little we can do.

He is eating every 3 hours including in the middle of the night. He is getting between 3-4 pounds of fish. Tilapia is about 30-35 calories an oz. So, the calorie intake is OK.

He starts the imuran Monday as long as the cbc/chem we took today is OK.

Sigh.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest myjazzy

That's greyt! Not losing any more weight is definitely a step in the right direction. The fact that he's eating is also a good sign, and hopefully the imuran will also help. Are there any other carbs you can try to see if he can tolerate them? Maybe something exotic like quinoa or millet.

Robin, I can't remember, did you try the canned z/d? Can you add a supplement to the fish, so he'll get the nutrients he needs.

Here's hoping that things keep going in the right direction. :grouphug

It's certainly a BIG relief that he hasn't lost more weight. Let's hope this is a sign that things are turning around for Beau.... and for you! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I am not allowed to add anything yet. We want to add another carb but can't untill we get the poop under control.

it is possible at this point that he is no longer tolerating the fish due to the intolerance of the oatmeal. That's why we have to wait and see if without the oatmeal it starts to get better ... or not.

IBD Sucks more than anything we have ever been through and we've been through a lot already.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Robin, are you okay though? :( I've been thinking about you.

Sending hugs.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

How is the fish that he is eating prepared? I know it's lightly poached, but- whole, cut-up, or...? Is there any way to either prepare the fish with another protein/fat source, or to literally stuff the fish with something else?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I am poaching it. In tin foil in oven, cooked, not overly so that the oils are flowing. I then mush it up and give it to him. If it's cold, I add hot water to it's easier to eat.

We need to get the oatmeal out of his system to see if he is still tolerating this fish. If not, we will have to go with the hydolized diet like Purina HA and pray to GOD he will eat it. He will need close to 5 cups a day. I am hoping the pred will make him not care whether or not he likes it. Problem with Beau is that if he is not enjoying his food, he will only eat enough to take the initial egde off and then that won't be enough food. Why did this have to happen to a dog who is picky to begin with???

In answer to your question Kerri- I am exhusted. We are in the kitchen 24 hours a day making food. We have to get up several times in the middle of the night to let BEau out and then becasue he starts looking pathetic, we offer him food as well. So, we are tired, but muddling through.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Generally speaking, every IBD dog I've ever known has been picky. I think it is very probable they are picky because they associate certain foods with not feeling well.

Hope Beau continues to eat and feels better soon!

edited for spelling

Edited by BlackandBrindle

I am so sorry this is taking so long! The crock pot is a good idea. You could get a more complete diet into him without adding any new ingredients, and it should cut down on your kitchen time. Not that you need to be worrying about complete nutrition at this point, it's more important that he eat! :bighug

Whew... may Beau continue to hold his own. He is always in my prayers, surrounded by loving light. :hope Have never dealt with IBD but it sounds SO very frustrating and challenging. :(:bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest IrskasMom

Every little Step forward is better then going backwards. You truly have been through a lot ,hopefully it just get's better

from here on out for all of you :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

I'm glad to hear that Beau sounds like he is stabilizing with his weight .... someone earlier had a great idea about using a slow cooker for the entire fish and then just mushing it up.

I picked up a diet book for IBD (really good book) and one ingredient that they used occasionally (only if there was not a flare-up at the time) was beans. It's both a protein and a carbohydrate so that could put on some weight.

You mentioned that imuran is being started on Monday, excuse my ignorance in this as I am not familiar with this product but, what is it supposed to do?

I picked up a diet book for IBD (really good book) and one ingredient that they used occasionally (only if there was not a flare-up at the time) was beans. It's both a protein and a carbohydrate so that could put on some weight.

You mentioned that imuran is being started on Monday, excuse my ignorance in this as I am not familiar with this product but, what is it supposed to do?

Some types of beans may be well-tolerated in humans with IBD on starch-restriction, provided they are soaked first and well-cooked.

Imuran (azathioprine) is an immunosuppressant used for organ transplants, as well as treating some autoimmune disorders. Its mode of action implies that there is an underlying bacterial cause to many of the disorders it is used to treat, such as rheumatoid arthritis, Crohn's, ulcerative colitis, and multiple sclerosis.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest PiagetsMom

Small victories add up.......at the very least there's the fact that he hasn't lost more weight and is still eating the fish to feel encouraged by. Hopefully with the oatmeal out of his system, the big D will clear up. Continuing to send good thoughts your way :grouphug

Are you getting funny looks at the grocery store when you buy eleventythousand pounds of tilapia each week? :wow

:lol

Robin, I know it must be exhausting for you to be keeping up with is feeding like this but I'm so glad to hear that he is actually eating now :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!