Chest Films? Or No Chest Films?

Bevd

Darcy needs to have a dental. I've known for a while that it needed doing but I was waiting for her to be really strong. And I've been putting it off :blush I don't fancy the idea of her being at the vets, having any sort of treatment :blush

Anyway. She does need a dental and I'm going to get it booked for within the next week or two.

But this leaves me with a bit of a quandry.

I know that many of the other osteo survivors have regular chest films done. Darcy has not had films done since her original set on the day of diagnosis/amp. One reason was that we had to be careful with the £'s available for that policy year and make sure there was enough to cover the chemo. The new insurance policy year for Darcy started at the begining of September and she has another £4000 (UK) available for vets fees so money isn't an issue but I've always said that I didn't see the need for chest films if she was acting healthy and happy etc.

Now that she has to be sedated (at least) for her dental though, I am debating whether or not to get chest films done at the same time.

On one hand, I would LOVE to know that they are clear at this 15 month stage and it would be cause for great celebration.

On the other hand....what happens if they come back and they show an Evil Thing? My hope that she can be one of those who lives for a long long time after diagnosis would be shattered and as everyone knows, sometimes all you have is hope.

Don't. Know. What. To. Do.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Yes to the films.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest RSD_Ranger

It's funny you ask this question, because I just asked the same thing to my friend when we heard a funny wheezing sound in Ranger (he's one month post diagnosis and amp from osteo). Here was her response to me:

"Whether you get the films or not, you are going to worry. Since you will worry either way, why not get them and have at least a 50% chance you won't have to worry?"

For what it's worth: we had them done and they were clear. I'm hoping if you choose to do what we did, that the results will be exactly the same!!! You have no idea how much your 15 months give me such hope :D

I wish the best for all of you, no matter what you decide to do!!!

Guest BlackandBrindle

Definitely get the chest films done.

It's hard and scary, but better to know the answers and deal with them accordingly, than to live in fear. Having hope is a wonderful thing, but knowing where the enemy is is much more helpful in this battle :grouphug

Definitely get the chest films done.

It's hard and scary, but better to know the answers and deal with them accordingly, than to live in fear. Having hope is a wonderful thing, but knowing where the enemy is is much more helpful in this battle :grouphug

Well yes. And then that makes me wonder whether....if Evil was seen, whether we still have any options left. Or not.

ooooo. eeeeek. ooooooo. ack.

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest BlackandBrindle

On the flip side of that if you don't get the films and it's there by the time you realize it's back, it could very well be too late.

The earlier it's detected the more of a chance Darcy has. :grouphug

It's making me feel pale, even having this discussion and mentioning Darcy's name within it.

Right.

I will probably do the films.

I'll let you know when it's going to take place.

Thanks all :)

Winslow gets chest films every 3 months. They keep me sane. Otherwise I would be taking him to the vet every time he made a noise. :eek

:lol I'm not laughing *at* you as you know, but with you because I know exactly what you mean :lol

If it were me and I would not take any action if the films were not clear, I would not have them done.

If I were planning on treating anythnig that showed up, then I would have them. I would also feel ever so blessed with the peace of mind I gained if they were clear :)

vr2a.jpg
Tonya, mom to May, and my angels Vinnie, Rex, Red, Chase, and Jake.

If you find evil stuff, will you do more treatment?

If not, don't. You'll find out soon enough anyway. No point in waiting in agony.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

If it were me and I would not take any action if the films were not clear, I would not have them done.

If you find evil stuff, will you do more treatment?

This is why I need to chat with the vet first and find out if there would be treatment options available if it was necessary after having done the films. If she says that no, there would be no treatment options then there's no point in having them done. If she says es, we may well have an option or two then I would feel it worth having them done.

Lordy. Who would imagine that I could worry so much over something which is probably just fine and the poor dog just needs her damn teefs cleaning :rolleyes::blush

Bev :grouphug I truly understand. With Jack it was so different. Because I chose pallitive care for him, I promised him he would not ever have to go back to the vet unless of course it was for something treatable for which it would be irresponsible not to take him. So I never planned to do follow up xrays of any kind - just to treat all symtoms as they occured. He made it so easy for me and I was able to keep that promise.

But I don't think you could anesthetize her without checking her lungs could you? And if she God forbid, had mets, I really wouldn't do a dental. But she has no symptoms!!! So she is going to be fine.

We love you Darcy Deerhound :wub:

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

But I don't think you could anesthetize her without checking her lungs could you? And if she God forbid, had mets, I really wouldn't do a dental. But she has no symptoms!!! So she is going to be fine.

We love you Darcy Deerhound :wub:

Exactly, right down to the "we love you Darcy"!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

If I were planning on treating anythnig that showed up, then I would have them. I would also feel ever so blessed with the peace of mind I gained if they were clear :)

Me too! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.