My Lovely Old Jack

Thanks for the good thoughts!

I have a number for an acupuncture vet, and I'll be ringing them in the morning. It's over an hour from here, but I hope it'll be worth it and he'll let her help him. :goodluck He's so nervous, poor soul. Our vet has agreed to refer him, which is necessary in the UK, only vets can give acupuncture, and will only see another vet's patients with a written referral.

Saved2 - Jack has done the splits before and got up and carried on as if nothing has happened, but he's now over thirteen. He wasn't even upright when he did it this time, but was lying down and just couldn't get his legs under him. :(

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Spencers_Greyt
We just got back from the vets. On his very short walk this morning, he began to fall on his bottom, and stagger as if he was drunk. :cry1

Seems he has some neurological signs, he knuckles on his rear feet, and sinks when examined. He's hard to read though because he's such a twitchy old guy that he'll sink anyway, just because. I don't like the knuckling though. He picks up his front feet PDQ when those are turned over, but not the back ones.

She doesn't think there are any fractures, or any major damage, but is reluctant to put him under GA at his age to find out for sure. For now we have Vetergesic for him and he's comfortable. If he gets worse, or fails to improve in four or five days, then we may have to see a neuro. *sigh*

Poor Jack! Spencer had those exact same signs and prednisone and acupuncture did the trick for him.

We just got back from the vets. On his very short walk this morning, he began to fall on his bottom, and stagger as if he was drunk. :cry1

Seems he has some neurological signs, he knuckles on his rear feet, and sinks when examined. He's hard to read though because he's such a twitchy old guy that he'll sink anyway, just because. I don't like the knuckling though. He picks up his front feet PDQ when those are turned over, but not the back ones.

She doesn't think there are any fractures, or any major damage, but is reluctant to put him under GA at his age to find out for sure. For now we have Vetergesic for him and he's comfortable. If he gets worse, or fails to improve in four or five days, then we may have to see a neuro. *sigh*

Judy,

Some of those symptoms are the same as what happens to Lee. He is also 13. He has LS and had started falling (doing splits) and knuckling under with his hind feet. When needed he gets the depro medrol shot (which I read here that is not available to you) and this last time he got a steroid shot in the back along with the depro shot. His meds were changed and he is now on Robaxin for the inflammation - 1 pill 3 times a day, pred - 1 pill every other day and Tramadol for pain as needed but he can take up to 3 pills of that a day. He was then put on a strict exercise plan and had to stay with some of my friends due to me not being able to be there to get him up every hour to walk for 10 minutes to get the muscle mass in his hind legs built back up again. He stayed with them for 4 days. On the 3rd day I found out I lost my job so he got to come home. He has made a miraculous recover. In fact, I tease the vet that someone at their office took my dog (who couldn't even stand up by himself without help and had to be carried into the vet's office) with a dog who can now pull me anywhere he wants to go on leash. He does wear a harness (thanks to Penelopesslave) 24/7 and has to be helped up and down the front steps.

I'm hoping Jack's problem is not any worse than what is wrong with Lee. This is treatable but not curable. Give Jack a gently hug from me. If I can help in any way please don't hesitate to PM me.

Sending lots of good thoughts for Jack! Poor sweetie... I hope he improves over the next few days! :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Sending more prayers for precious Jack. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sending prayers for Jack. :hope

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Sending lots and healing thoughts for Jack and :grouphug for you Judy...sounds like there may be help available for him. Poor guy...

Edited by greytpups

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Thanks again for all the continuing good thoughts! We do appreciate them.

Judy,

Some of those symptoms are the same as what happens to Lee. He is also 13. He has LS and had started falling (doing splits) and knuckling under with his hind feet. When needed he gets the depro medrol shot (which I read here that is not available to you) and this last time he got a steroid shot in the back along with the depro shot. His meds were changed and he is now on Robaxin for the inflammation - 1 pill 3 times a day, pred - 1 pill every other day and Tramadol for pain as needed but he can take up to 3 pills of that a day. He was then put on a strict exercise plan and had to stay with some of my friends due to me not being able to be there to get him up every hour to walk for 10 minutes to get the muscle mass in his hind legs built back up again. He stayed with them for 4 days. On the 3rd day I found out I lost my job so he got to come home. He has made a miraculous recover. In fact, I tease the vet that someone at their office took my dog (who couldn't even stand up by himself without help and had to be carried into the vet's office) with a dog who can now pull me anywhere he wants to go on leash. He does wear a harness (thanks to Penelopesslave) 24/7 and has to be helped up and down the front steps.

I'm hoping Jack's problem is not any worse than what is wrong with Lee. This is treatable but not curable. Give Jack a gently hug from me. If I can help in any way please don't hesitate to PM me.

Thank you! I don't know why, but vets don't seem to prescribe muscle relaxants over here, either. It seems like a good idea to me, but they don't.

The good news is that Jack is a lot steadier today and hasn't needed any Vetergesic (he's still on Previcox). The bad news is that he is very stiff-legged when he walks. We've always said he has no idea he isn't still a puppy; well these days it looks as if he's made up of two dogs, the front half still thinks he's a puppy, and the back half is saying 'Hey, slow up there - I'm the equivalent of a 90-year old, you know!' It's both a little bit funny, and quite tragic to watch. He does wear a harness to walk out in, and we have used it to steady him. We also have a ramp for the car, but it has to be almost level for him to use it. We have to look for a small hill or high kerb to drive up to, and then prop the end up. The things we do for our dogs, huh?

The acupuncturist isn't going to be there till Friday - seems she's part time, but there isn't another within easy reach of where we are. They will give her a message when she gets in on Friday morning to ring us, and we should be able to arrange a session with her fairly soon. We're going to try it, because I know from my own experiences, and from Jim's, that it does work.

Thanks for all your supportive messages. Jack's getting a lot of hugs and scritches. :wub:

I'm glad to hear Lee's story. So good to hear he's recovered from such a shaky position and is doing so well! :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Sorry I've missed this until now Judy. Sending lots of love and good wishes for Jack and for you :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!