My Heart Dog, My First Dog, Is Gone. (non Grey)

Neighsayer

I was always a cat person until I bought my first house at the age of 50. Since it was on a dirt road with no neighbors, my kids decided I needed a security system. I had 4 cats who would be jumping on all the windows and setting it off so I promised to get a dog instead. Ginger had been brought to the SPCA after being found running on a busy highway. They had her tagged as 3 years old and called her a corgi/collie mix. I used those papers to get her past my insurance company. They never spotted the blue tongue of a chow.

Ginger must have been a city dog because she was terrified of the night sounds the first month. She stood guard beneath the bedroom window and remained on the alert...letting out a quiet "woof" everytime she heard a critter outside. As I added to my doggie family, I had to adopt males so Queen Ginger would allow them in the house! She wasn't much interested in greyhounds, but did explain the big wide world beyond the fence to Mickey:

Apr05145.jpg

She wouldn't share a bed with the greys, but sometimes she pushed Lucky over to squeeze in with him:

100_0340.jpg

She has been deaf for years, her sight was failing, she was dealing with cushings, had other physical and mental conditions of old age, but still came out with me every morning and evening to feed the farm animals. It was her job. If I left her inside in pouring rain, she would go out the doggie door and watch me feed from the dog pen. Here is a photo of her from feeding time this morning:

GINGERLASTWALK.jpg

She was with me for 11 years. I have made THAT decision several times over the last few months but changed my mind when I saw some improvement. We both just ran out of time! Her spirit was willing, but her body just gave out. She had several bad things going on this week and I didn't want to wait until a new emergency caused her to go out in pain. She had a good night's sleep last night...she didn't know it was her last:

Gingersleep.jpg

Ginger, I miss ya girl. Guess I have to go feed alone!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Godspeed, pretty girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm sorry. :cry1

Godspeed Ginger.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)