Maggie- Mae Had Her First Chemo Treatment

UPDATE 2-9

Some of you have been asking about Maggie-Mae...thank you for that!

Well, I am happy to report that she is doing wonderful! She has had 4 chemo treatments and needs 2 more to complete her treatments. She gets sick for only about a day after her chemo. She has been on meds for her tummy and that helps out a lot. She eats well, except for the day after her chemo. Her activity level is high and her attitude is greyt! Her WBC has been low but not enough to cease the chemo treatments.

I must admit...I did not think she would make it to the end of the year last year, she was very bad but she fought and pulled through...fighting infection and not wanting to eat and being horribly depressed to the point that she would not get up from her bed. We didn't give up on her as I saw it in her eyes that she was fighting. I am glad we didn't because she turned a corner in January and has been wonderful ever since!

Thank you so much for all of your prayers and thoughts for our Maggie-Mae! We love her so much!

On Saturday evening she did her first meet-n-greet since her diagnosis and she did so well :wub: She will soon be returning to work as a Therapy Dog too!

n527976652_1852350_7542.jpg

n527976652_1852351_7837.jpg

n527976652_1852352_8207.jpg

It has been a rough start for poor Maggie-Mae. Her amputation surgery went well except that she had a lot of bleeding and blood pooled in her belly, foot and stomach. That has been almost all absorbed into her body.

Then she lost her appetite after her surgery and before she even started chemo. It has been a struggle getting her to eat. She has lost so much weight and looks terrible. We took her for her first chemo treatment Tuesday and Dr. Couto didn't even think they could do the chemo because they found a pocket of fluid near the incision area. They drained it and found it to be inflammation, however, he was not sure if it was due to infection. So, they ran some more blood work and found everything to look good so they decided to move forward with the chemo because they did not want to delay it any longer.

She will be on antibiotics for 10 days and we have to clean and flush the incision everyday for 10 days along with daily bandage changes.

Miss Maggie-Mae has been so depressed. I know we did the right thing for her but I can't help but question myself when I see her this way :( I want her to be happy and be my "boogity" girl again.

Please keep my girlie in your thoughts and prayers :hope

MaggieMae_001.jpg

Edited by greytdecals

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

oh Suzy :( :( You all have been through so much, you guys JUST DON'T deserve this!!!! :( :(

sending many, many prayers and tons of white light for little Miss Maggie Mae :hope :hope :hope:candle:hope :hope :hope

I know she'll be feeling back to her old self again soon (and poking her head through little holes in the tarp :P -- STILL my all-time favorite picture!!! :wub:)

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I am so sorry things have gone rough for your sweet girl. Even w/o complications, it's not easy. We all wondered what the he77 we did at one time or another. But one day soon, she will feel better life will get back to some sort of order.

I hope she starts eating soon. Polli is not a greyt eater and after the surgery and chemo it was a lot worse. She only likes 3 things to begin with. I find she likes crunchy carbs after chemo. Granola bars, crackers etc.

Prayers and good thoughts for your girl.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:bighug to Maggie and you and Brian!!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Sending prayers for sweet Maggie-Mae. Brighter days are ahead. :grouphug Kiss her for me. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Lots of good thoughts being sent to Maggie-Mae and her family :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I hope Maggie-Mae starts feeling better soon & that the chemo kicks all that bad stuff out of her forever. She looks so lovely in her coat. :wub:

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Suzie, I'm sorry to hear things are rough for Maggie-Mae after the first chemo session... I am keeping you all in my thoughts and sending lots of hope and hugs your way.

Hang in there! :grouphug

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Adding in our prayers for your sweet, beautiful Maggie-Mae. We hope she starts eating soon and comes back around quickly to being your boogity girl. It always takes time, as you know all too well. Hugs and scritches - and Gus sends nosey kisses hoping that some of his puppy energy (and appetite) will help her feel better soon.

Sweet Maggie-Mae, you look beautiful and I know that you will feel better soon. :grouphug

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC

Guest EmbersDad

hay maggie

dis is ember here. after i habs my amp poo tater...i wuz able to bamboozle muh dad into mickey'ds....and some very nice greytokkers gived me sumfing called vennyson...i hope venny doesnt miss him, coz he wuz good,yum. hims also gives me ensure. u hang in there girlie. it will get better.

Guest vahoundlover

Oh Suzie, I am so sorry you guys are going through this again. :grouphug I think about you guys daily. Have you tried Nutritional Yeast on her food? Xan did a thread recently on it in H&M. Might be worth a try.

Sending lots of prayers.

• 1 month later...