Leftover Medication

I have a lot of leftover medication that Penny took, some she never took.

I know with humans it is best to discard the leftover medication, but is

the same true with animals? Or does it depend on the medication? We have

one bottle of something (have to figure out what it is) that we got specially

shipped to us from a pharmacy in Arizona, paid $75 for, but Penny never

got to take any of it- she was too sick at that point.

I don't want to do anything improper, but if what remains could be used,

I'd like to know.

Here's the list:

Baytril 136mg tablets; qty approx 20

Deramaxx; 25mg tablets; qty 19 1/2

Diphenhydramine 50mg capsules; qty 14

Famotidine 10 mg tablets; qty 8 (individual blister pak)

Metoclopramide 5mg tablet; qty approx 20

Metronidazole 250mg tablet; qty approx 30

Procarbazine 50mg capsules; qty 14

SMZ TMP 960mg tablets; qty 4

Edited by tornadosgirl
2wck1zc.jpg

I donate my leftover medication to the galgos in Spain, they can use it and I hate to waste good medicine. All the medicine I donate is in the original packaging and clearly states what it is. I've never had any trouble with these donations.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

I donate my leftover medication to the galgos in Spain, they can use it and I hate to waste good medicine. All the medicine I donate is in the original packaging and clearly states what it is. I've never had any trouble with these donations.

Linda, Valor, Keeva and Bella

This, or check with the vet's office and see if they'll take it back. My vet takes back and refunds what I get there. I don't know if they can use it again but they do take it back. The Arizona pharmacy probably can't take back the med they sent even if it's unopened

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I gave Jazz's leftover meds and subQ fluid supplies to my vet. He said he would donate the subQ supplies to his favorite adoption group and the meds I just threw in at the last minute. I'm sure something good was done with them. If not the vet, you can contact a local animal shelter.

Well, before this gets locked (I had offered some of Carl's eye medication for free and it got locked because medication should only be used for the entity it is prescribed to), I donated his eye medication to my local group.

Edited by ckruzan

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

I don't mean to hijack thread, but my Plummer is on Zeniquin 100mg. It is very expensive and I was just on the site of Pfzer to see if they can contribute to Plummer's infection (toe's).

If anyone has left over, it would be appreciated.

the Pepcid and the Benadryl you can keep and use yourself. 50mg Benadryl is the customary adult dose I believe and 10mg Pepcid is the usual adult dose. The Reglan check with the vet, they might take it back. It's for nausea and motility problems, I use it for Mousie's IBD. You could keep it I suppose...your other hound may get prescribed it someday if he gets a GI bug. same with the Flagyl. it's an antibiotic/GI anti-inflammatory. The Bactrim/Septra, Deramaxx and Baytril your vet might take back. Mine would, some won't. The chemo drug...I don't know if your regular vet would take it. Do you have a specialty vet near you, they might like it for hospital stock.

Pepcid = famotidine. Benadryl = diphenhydramine. Reglan = metoclopramide. Flagyl = metronidozole. SMZ-TMP = Septra/Bactrim. Just in case you're not familiar with the brand names. Sometimes hearing brand names influences my decisions on what I keep and what I send back. :)

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

I always check with my adoption group to see if they have any need for Rxs for fosters or emergencies. When Libby died, her Phenobarb went to a foster dog with idiopathic epilepsy and on the same dose.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I have a full bottle of enalapril if anyone can use it.

Andrea, Patsie takes one 20mg Enalapril daily. I'll buy it from you if you haven't had anyone else inquire about it.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

We gave all of our meds back to our vet so that they could be donated in Angel Queenie's name...we had a lot of IV fluids as well.

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greyvettech

I am a vet tech and we alway donate our expired or returned medication to the Galgos in spain.. (operation scooby) They are always in dire need of medication,supplies and volunteers.... I always send the supplies to Abigail Christman.. I have the address If you're interested.. She will see that it reaches the Galgos....

You should be able to donate the meds to any facility that has a vet on board. That way the vet is making a diagnosis and dispensing the meds. Takes the whole problem away from the general public (us).

With that in mind, donate it to whatever charity is closest to your heart.

I am a vet tech and we alway donate our expired or returned medication to the Galgos in spain.. (operation scooby) They are always in dire need of medication,supplies and volunteers.... I always send the supplies to Abigail Christman.. I have the address If you're interested.. She will see that it reaches the Galgos....

Suzzane Stack also accepts them for the Galgos

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest vahoundlover

We returned Busters to our vet and asked that they give them to someone who was having diffuculties paying for meds. We will do the same with Bossy's herbs.