Bodie (kw Fast Abner) July 6, 2000 - Nov. 8, 2008

Guest Bodie

Five years ago last May, Bodie came into my life and changed it forever.

My old lab, Molly, had died in March and my husband, Carl, pressed me to get another dog. After giving it some thought, I decided I wanted a greyhound. Like many others, I had been introduced to greyhounds at a Meet and Greet and fallen completely in love. It wasn't practical to adopt then, but it seemed like the perfect solution now.

The day before Mother's Day we drove to Nittany Greyhounds in State College. There were two gorgeous black males available. I was immediately drawn to Bodie - he was a handsome, overly enthusiastic, big boy with a goofy jump that almost knocked us over! So Fast Abner, as he was known then, came home with us and became Bodie. He was originally named Bode after Bode Miller, the Olympic skier. It seemed appropriate - they were both fast racers and Bode Miller was from New Hampshire, where Carl was from.

At the time, I wasn't working. Bodie was great company for me and we went for long walks together up and down the hills near our mountain home.

In December of that year, Carl was approached to return to a library he had worked at in New Hampshire. He had always wanted to return to NH, so after much discussion, we decided that he would take the job. In January, we went to NH together and picked out a house to buy, with a fenced-in yard, of course, for Bodie. In February, Carl moved to NH and began his new job – I was to join him later. Three weeks after he was there, he called and said he didn't want to be married anymore. It was later that I learned about the affair...

I was completely devastated and so was Bodie. Bodie always waited for Carl to come home - sat by the door when it was time for him to come home from work. He became a depressed dog. We continued our long walks - both of us sad and unhappy. Around April, I became seriously concerned about Bodie. He was so low he didn't want to do anything. So I made the decision that even though it was the last place I wanted to go, (Carl had actually marked off the dates on his calendar before he left) I would take Bodie to Greyhounds in Gettysburg. It was all I could do to get myself to go there - but I did it for Bodie. And it worked! Three days of socializing with greyhounds and he was a new dog. His bounce returned - he was happy again.

From that time on, we became an inseparable team. He seemed to realize I needed him, and he was my support. We went for long walks on the Gettysburg Battlefield together. He never left my side during the long days and lonely nights. He was my rock, my support through that terrible dark, sad year.

He became my heart dog and I became his constant companion. It was at that time that the girls and I decided we wanted to get rid of all the things we had that were associated with Carl. But Bodie was part of that, and we couldn't possibly get rid of him. So we compromised by changing the spelling of his name - the same name, but a different one. Bodie’s association with Carl was broken and people finally started pronouncing his name correctly - people had been calling him Bode as if it rhymed with “rode”.

Bodie and I have been through a lot together since then. We have moved twice. I sold the house in the mountain when I realized I wouldn't be able to afford it. I started a new career (I had also been a librarian before I quit working - now I wanted no part of it). I earned a paralegal certificate and started a new job. Somehow, I pulled myself together, but I couldn't have done it without Bodie. He was at my side all the nights I was studying, applying for jobs - re-inventing my life. We were inseparable.

I met Lew three years ago and we dated for a year and a half before buying a house together. Lew fell in love with Bodie - that's how I knew he was a good man! And about six months after I met Lew, Rainy came into our lives as the foster who never left. Guinness joined the family this summer.

Bodie was much loved by everyone he met. He loved people – before he got sick, he was a consummate Meet and Greeter. He loved Meet and Greets, loved meeting people, especially children who were just his size. He loved giving kisses to everyone. He could be at a Meet and Greet for hours and never tire of saying hello. I often wonder how many greyhounds were adopted because of him.

The bond between Bodie and I is very strong. That is why we did everything humanly possible to save him. He was there for me when I needed him - so I was there for him when he needed me. When he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma, that is why we took him to OSU and Dr. Couto. That is why we made the seven hour drive (one way) every two weeks for his chemo. That is why we nurtured him and cared for him to the end.

Bodie passed quietly to the rainbow bridge Saturday afternoon. The vet and vet assistant came to the house and we all sat on the floor next to him. Lew was there, as well as my daughter, Katelyn. Guinness and Rainy laid quietly nearby. They seemed to understand.

Before the vet began, Bodie lifted his head and leaned over and kissed the vet on the nose, and then leaned over and did the same for the vet asst. We took this to mean he understood and accepted why they were there. He then laid his head on my lap and he passed quietly while I stroked him and whispered in his ear about how much fun he would have at the rainbow bridge, playing with his new greyhound friends and eating all the Burpdog biscuits he could eat. When he passed, we all cried together - even the vet.

He is now free from the pain that had plagued him the last few weeks. He stopped eating last week and the last couple of days, Lew and I would have to lift him to his feet to go outside, and lay him down again when he came back inside. Even though it was difficult to face, we knew it was time for him to go to the bridge.

As many of you know, Bodie made a ninety second newsclip for the cancer program at Ohio State University. If you haven’t seen it, please watch, if you have seen it – watch it to remember Bodie. This is the link for it:

(Scientists are Banking on Help from Furry Friends is the title if the link doesn't work)

He was one in a million. I miss him so much.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our Bodie. He seemed to belong to us all. He remains tucked snugly in that special place in your heart that is his. A new star to light the night sky........

L.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Never long enough. I'm glad he was there for you when you needed him, and glad you were there for him.

Godspeed, unforgettable Bodie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I am so sorry for the loss of Bodie. He was so special to all of us. Take comfort in knowing he is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Rhonda, I am so sorry. :f_white Your love for Bodie showed in each and every post you made.

Thank you for taking him to OSU. I know their work will get us answers eventually. The work with the Comprehensive Cancer Centre will help us all down the road.

Godspeed Bodie, know you were loved very much. :gh_run

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I'm so sorry for your loss. Bodie was very special and will be sorely missed :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Bodie has been such an inspiration. He will be missed by so many people. I am heartbroken with you.

God Speed Bodie.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Rhonda,

I'm sure all my tripods (Candy, Dennis and Rocky) were there to meet Bodie. I am in tears as we have lost another one.

Hugs and kisses,

Cora and the furkids

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Thanks for sharing your and Bodie's difficult and touching story. It made me cry too. Take good care of yourself, okay? Bodie would want that. :heart

Mary

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).