Gumby

Guest LazyBones

Guest LazyBones

it's hard to believe she's gone. :sad1

i'll never forget the night she came home, and how we managed to find her. she was definately a rare find. my brother just happened to know someone giving away some GH pups. he called me that night, and we schemed to bring her home, and keep her around long enough for mom to get attached. i'll never forget the sight of this big lanky pup with a pink jumprope as a makeshift leash. :wub: of course, mom was not thrilled when she came home to this surprise (neither was pokey), but ultimately, the scheme worked. :lol how could it not?

she was all legs, ears, and tail, and some people doubted her breed. it wasn't long, though, that she grew into all those appendages and became a beautiful, yet petite, girl whose breed was no longer in question.

she wasn't the most affectionate girl, but she demanded affection at times by making some of the funniest noises, throwing her head back, and kicking. she was a clown. i'll miss having our whining/sighing contests. she wasn't always the brightest bulb, but i do admit that there were moments when she did outsmart me.....like the time she threw a her toy to knock off an ornament from the xmas tree, only to steal my spot on the couch when i got up to replace said ornament. in her younger years, she loved to toss things around. i remember making the mistake of giving her a hard-boiled egg on easter, when she was still a pup. she had to "kill" the egg, and left a trail of egg bits throughout the house. lesson learned. :rolleyes::lol i remember a couple times she messed my brother up when he was playing a video game, by tossing her bone and hitting the power/eject switches.

of course, she loved to run laps around the backyard. it was funny to see pokey chasing her.....when nearing a corner, you could just see gumby bracing for pokey's impact. gumby also loved to stalk pokey, even when pokey was looking right at her, or when pokey was in the middle of pooping. gumby was also friends with chyna, the amstaff. gumby taught her the ropes, and it was fun to watch the two of them play and mouth-wrestle.

gumby was admired for her beauty. a few times while walking her, cars would slow down and compliment her. when they'd drive off, gumby would start pulling on that leash and seemed to walk with her head high and proud. she (and pokey) were well-known in the neighborhood. years ago, my dad had come down south to visit, and just loved gumby. a couple times, during phone conversations, he'd say, "you know, i'm not a dog person, but i love your doggie gumby." he'd tease me about "mailing" her up to him. "just put her in a box and poke a few holes in it." :lol

there are so many memories i have of her, and if i thought of every one, i'd have a nove; written. she was that special, and i am already missing her terribly. it was hard to come home from work today. one of the first things i would do lately is check to see if i needed to wash her pee pad, and as odd as it might sound, i wish i could still do that.

i feel so fortunate, though, that gumby lived a long, full life with me. of course, no amount of time would have been long enough. however, with her back causing her as much pain as it was, it would not have been fair for her to let her linger in pain. deep down, i know it was the right thing to do, but it's still very hard.

farewell, my lovely gumby. you will never have to deal with things such as pain, flies, thunder, the nail clippers, and fireworks ever again.

(will post pics later)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really sorry :( I loved looking at Gumby pics. She'll be very sadly missed by many :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

:grouphug

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Gumby.

:f_pink

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I am so sorry. She sounds like such a special hound. My thoughts and sympathies to you and your family.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

OMG, I am so sorry. My heart just sank when I saw Gumby's name here. She was special and I remember cheering when she won the Suzie's award. Run with the angels pretty girl and please watch over your mom. You will be truly missed :gh_run

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh sweet Gumby. :grouphug May your memories hold Gumby tightly tucked in your heart until you meet again. My sympathy and prayers. Run with the wind sweetie girl...you will be sorely missed by each of here on GT. :grouphug:f_pink:f_white

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

rest well, gumby...you did good.

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Guest Mommydog

I am so sorry :grouphugf_yellow I know just what you mean about washing the pee pad. Once they're gone you'd give anything to be able to do things like that again. Godspeed Gumby, you will be greatly missed :gh_run

Guest tricolorhounds

You are right, It is hard to believe she is gone, Gumby was such a presence here on GT. :grouphug I'm sure she's found Pokey and they are together, watching over you.

... run free Gumby

Edited by tricolorhounds

Oh no!! I'm stunned! I'm so very sorry; Gumby will be sorely missed :f_red

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest ArtysPeople

This sounds so corny, but I always read the Gumby threads and I feel like I knew her. She was a very special dog; thank you for sharing her with all of us. My deepest condolences to you and your family, but know that she will be missed here, too.

:f_pink:f_red :f_red :f_pink

Edited by ArtysPeople