Rapid Shallow Breathing & Other Symptoms

The power of GT is working! She wouldn't eat ANYTHING today but just now let me hand-feed her almost an entire boiled chicken breast! :confetti Her breathing is still fast and shallow, but she did drink some water and ate. She wanted to go for a walk with me and Penny and was very mad to be left behind, so maybe that's a sign she is perking up too.

Now, if I can just figure out how to get the Baytril into her tomorrow morning.

I asked my vet about pork when I talked to her this evening. She said in small quantities, like as a treat or to entice an anorexic dog to eat, bacon was fine. Just like people, she said dogs shouldn't have it every day. Lean pork meat like tenderloin is a good alternative meat for those dogs allergic to poultry or red meat.

Oh, and Penny is acting out because of all the attention Bell is getting. Sigh. I guess this is good practice for having skin kids, right??? :rolleyes:

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FullMetalFrank

I just saw his and I am glad to read that she is doing a little better. As for the bacon, Frankie has always had a little piece of bacon if I cook it for breakfast (which is not a regular occurence) and he eats raw pork ribs and pork necks on occasion, no ill effects. Different veterinarians can vary in their opinions on things is all I can think of.

Guest LolasMom

Just seeing this now. I'm so glad to hear that she's eating and drinking :thumbs-up . Lots of well wishes coming your way for a restful night filled with sweet dreams. This one's for you sweet Bell :kiss2

Sounds like she's doing a bit better, that's great. Just an idea on the drinking. If you don't think she's drinking enough to stay hydrated, try some gatorade. Continued prayers for this special girl

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I am just seeing this now. Sending prayers and good thoughts for Bell and hugs for you both.

I wouldn't worry about the bacon. I fed Scarlett bacon for 13.5 years and she had a glorious coat and lived to 19. My vet even said since she was doing so well, to keep feeding it. She got maybe 5 pieces each weekend. Morgaine and Aquitaine too.

Sending lots of prayers. Can you pill her without food if she won't take anything? I wonder at her age if a couple of shots of antibiotic would help.

Go stinky: salmon, jack mackeral, etc. and sweet: Hawaiian sweet rolls, shortbread cookies

I've had them eat milk bones (or any kind of "treat") and that is fine--just get the calories in.

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Glad to hear that she has improved!! :clap

Hopefully she will be even better today!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Good news, she slept pretty well last night although her breathing is still not anywhere near normal. She woke me up to go potty and drank a bunch of water on her own. We took a VERY slow stroll up the street with Penny just now, which produced more pee and a tiny poo. She ate another entire boiled chicken breast out of her dish (albeit in bed!!) for breakfast. I had to drop the pills down her throat to get her to take them but eventually they were swallowed after the chicken. Thank you for all the suggestions and help. I am going to stop at the grocery and get some stinky treats (which I am sure are going to smell great to my nauseated pregnant nose, but anything for Bell!) on my way home from my ultrasound today.

I am so proud of my girl, she is a fighter!!

Edited by Penelopesslave

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

I'm glad to hear Bell is doing better. Have you tried Greenies pill pockets? Nadia takes heart meds three times daily and actually comes looking for them.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Come on Bell, keep fighting baby girl. What a good girl she is. Pill Pockets work wonderfully with my crew. Sometimes I wrap their pills in a piece of cheese and that works too.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I missed this yesterday! So glad to hear she is doing better today. Pill pockets worked well for Sugar, I used the smaller "cat" ones for her. Also, Braunschweiger is a good pill-hider :). I hope she continues to improve. If she's not lactose intolerant, vanilla Ensure will give her some calories and some fluids.

So glad to hear that she is eating! Bell is a fighter, and a very smart cookie. I remember Doug holding her bowl up for her because he thought she'd only eat from a raised feeder! :lol

Keep eating, sweet girl. And keep getting better.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Thank you for asking, Judy, Bell is better tonight. Her breathing is a little deeper and she ate two whole boiled chicken breasts for dinner (though she won't touch any of the stinky stuff I bought, only the most expensive cuts of meat for Her Highness!). We made it down the stairs and for a short pee/poo walk, even though it took us almost 5 minutes to get back up to the house (I move almost as slowly as she does these days!). She is drinking on her own and did some actual sleeping this afternoon.

I haven't heard back from the radiologist or the lab about her blood work. I am going to call our regular vet in the morning and see if she has any more info.

I had to go to the hospital this morning myself for a fetal monitoring and some non-stress tests on the baby. I think they really need to do non-stress tests on ME!!!! Still, I am feeling cautiously optimistic that Bell is going to continue to improve, as long as those test results are clear. It really cheers me up to read everyone's posts wishing her well and giving suggestions for help.

- Mark Twain

I'm so glad she's breathing a little easier. She continues to be in our prayers. You take care of yourself, it won't be long now and you'll have a little one to take care of too.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Sending more prayers and I will check in again tomorrow morning. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Well, the vet just called. The radiologist compared Bell's xrays to the ones we took of her in June, and feels that her heart has enlarged slightly and would give a diagnosis of congestive heart failure, which would apparently also explain the weird "diffuse" patterns in her lungs which looked pneumonia-ish. We are starting her on Lasix once the pharmacy opens tomorrow, then will probably get her in for a consult with a cardiologist and an electrocardiogram to determine the extent/level of the CHF and the appropriate treatment.

Her bloodwork showed everything textbook except a slightly elevated kidney creatinine level of 2.1-- I dunno what that means but I figure someone on here will! Otherwise vet says her blood looks like that of a much younger dog.

I asked what the prognosis was, and the vet said that with the right meds, we could be talking years not months, which made me feel a bit better. I know at 14 this is not something that is unexpected but at least we have an answer and a plan.

- Mark Twain

I am sure you must be relieved to have a diagnosis, a plan and a fairly optimistic prognosis. I'll keep you both in my thoughts

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)