Brooke Needs Prayers, Again!

Yesterday was greyt and I was so pleased with how Brooke was doing...last night not so good. She wouldn't use her leg when I took her out for her 10pm potty break and was restless all night. I got up at 5am after not getting much sleep...she panted and was up and down all night. She felt warm to me so I took her temp, it was 103, her upper leg was swollen, and she was in obvious pain.

I have a 90+ minute drive to the vet, so I got ready and off we go. Her temp was 104 when we got there and her white blood cells are elevated. X-ray shows the plate has pulled away from the femur and she has another fracture higher in the leg and above the plate, and there's an infection somewhere.

The vet gave me 3 options....1) Put in another plate that extends the whole length of the femur and take a chance that it won't break also 2) Amputation and hope her front legs will support her(she's had a limp in her front legs since I brought her home 6 1/2 years ago) option 3) We won't talk about.

The vet doesn't think her bones are in good shape and that's why she got the break in the first place and the reason she has another break. He still doesn't think she has bone cancer but I'm really starting to wonder.

I brought Brooke home with me today and she's scheduled for amputation on Monday morning.

God give me strength and the wisdom that I'm doing the right thing.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

Denise, I am so sorry it has come to this. But know that she loves you and trusts you to help her get well.

I'm praying the weekend is not too hard for you all and sending more prayers for her and her medical team on Monday. She will be fine!

Here's an important thing to know. Please talk to your vet about the drugs OSU uses prior to, during and after amputation surgery. It has proven to be a lifesaver for many hounds that may have have post surgical bleeds. Jenn may know, but I'm going to send an email and get the right spelling of the name and the dosage for you.

If you need to talk, send me a PM or an email and I'll call.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Oh dear... :( Holding your precious Brooke in my prayers, surrounded by loving light. :hope:candle

Many hugs to you. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Oh damn! I was so hoping she was going to keep that leg. I'm so sorry Denise. If you need ANYTHING, please let me know. You're more than welcome to come and stay here if you need to so you'll be closer to her.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

We're keeping you both tucked in our prayers, and will light a candle for your girl. I know you two have a lot of support here, but please add us to that list

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Prayers for Brooke and for you at this difficult time.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

We will keep a candle burning for you and Brooke. :candle :candle

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Brooke. Hope she has a quick, uncomplicated recovery and is back to her normal self very soon.

Guest HeatherDemps

Prayers for you and Brooke. Definitely have the vet check with OSU about the meds for the bruising/bleeding as others have already suggested....