Polli- Day 8

RobinM

Sending lots of hugs, good thoughts and prayers for Polli and all of you. With the roller coaster of emotions you have gone through in one short week it is understandable that you are looking for a bit of "normalcy" as you knew it. Normal will come. Happy will come. Keep believing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytmonty

Well there are so many Polli threads I lost my reply about her depression.

Here is what I wrote, for whatever it is worth.

Robin, I am glad she is eating but sorry to hear about her depression. Folks who have been through this with their houndies will have better advice than me. The only thing I can tell you from my knowledge of HUMAN responses to surgery, anesthesia, and pain and anti anxiety meds, is that ALL OF THE ABOVE can cause a clinical depression which is normal and transient. I think with time and healing she will begin to feel like herself again. Her body has had a huge shock and she is still in the throes of the post surgery, post anesthesia, current meds depression.

Guest EmilyAnne

It's probably the meds having a yo-yo effect. While on the heaviest dose, she had anxiety, and now she is coming off that, so she is yo-yoing the other way, (depression) and next, will be her getting herself re-regulated and then she'll be back to her normal spunky self! :)

:bighug I know you know it's only been 8 days, but it is still hard to be patient. And, as someone mentioned, the whole thing beforehand, vet visit, diagnosis, surgery, was so fast, part of your brain may still be trying to wrap around everything that's happened. We're here for you and Polli (and the rest of your family)

Robin -

She'll come back, she just needs time to adjust, and she will. Here are a couple pictures of our Angel Vinnie to help you along:

th_2006-06-23019.jpg

th_2006-07-11248.jpg

th_2006-04-21011.jpg

th_2006-04-21156-asmiletomeltyourheart.jpg

th_2006-04-21179.jpg

th_2006-04-21446-hereslookingatyou.jpg

These photos start at the bottom with the cast and end about a month later with a happy, playful, snuggle bunny who loved to run, play and give lots of hugs and kisses. Polli will be there soon, just keep looking at the baby steps and next thing you know you'll be in the big picture looking back in amazement. Vinnie went through the different phases and the new "pain yelp" he acquired sure got my attention. It took him a few weeks before he was vocal though other than that on sound. We coaxed him to eat, hid his pills the best we could (he was a champion pill spitter!), kept his toys and chews near but those didn't even interest him for awhile - seeing Polli go after her treat the other night was wonderful! Just like when we have surgery, we go through all sorts of emotions, especially when on meds, it won't be long and she'll be rooing and demanding just like before. Sending hugs and scritches.

Edited by Vinnie

Guest Greensleeves

I know this is a different situation, but try and remember that her whole life has been turned upside down, and even if they got rid of all the nasty cancer, she still no doubt feels like crap. It's going to take time to ease back into normal.

Last year when Nelly had ear surgery and had to be in an e-collar for 5 weeks (with an ear that constantly oozed blood down the side of her face--a necessary part of the healing, believe it or not!), she did suffer some depression. I remember telling my agent that she seemed so down, so depressed, and I was worried that she would never be the same. My agent responded, "Don't worry--last year when Riley had a cast on his leg, I thought THE EXACT SAME THING. And you know what? As soon as that cast came off, he was back to his old self." And so was Nelly. :)

So as long as you guys can stay ahead of the cancer, your Polli WILL. BE. BACK.

Just... give her a few weeks, at least. I know how long each and every day is, but don't let the days stretch out in your mind. Keep your perspective. It took Nelly about a week to bounce back after just getting an e-collar and a patch on her ear removed! Polli's suffered a life-threatening illness and has had major, life-altering surgery. Don't rush her. :)

I remember watching a programme where it said don't treat dogs like your sorry for them, they can sense your mood, maybe she's picking up on your worried and sad energy???

Dogs live in the present not in the past. I guess Polli's current situation is hard for her and you at the moment, but once she's off the meds and not uncomfortable I'm quite sure her old personality will shine through.

And we'll all read it here........ :)

Run free our beloved Sir Snowy, Pip, Queenie, Sadie, Tess & Rosie until we meet again......I would rather feel the thorn than to never see the rose

:grouphug

I agree, she might be picking up on your mood. It seems like when I "think" one of my dogs is depressed, then they seem even worse to me. Maybe it's the medicine that can change one's outlook on things.

Thinking of you and your baby. I hope she feels better soon.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Good advice, Everyone.

the one thing that I am constanly doing is my usual wack a doo stuff with her. Singing the Polli-walli-do da songs... mommacita songs and burying my face in hers and just eating her up. Always have, always will.

Today when i took Polli out back to pee/poop, when we came back up the deck ( I carry her) she wanted to lay in the sun. I let her for about 30 minutes but I was afraid she would burn ( her hair is shaven) so she had to come in.

It was nice to know she wanted to do something that made her feel good.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

:wub: :wub: :wub: Nothing more beautiful than a greyhound sunning! That's one of my favorite shots of Vinnie after his surgery. It's wonderful that she was comfortable somewhere besides inside. WooHoo Miss Polli - now all you have to do is tell Mom that you want more - more treats, more loving, more toys ... just more - you can roo!

I can vouch for what tramadol does to your affect. You feel dull and dim-witted, and in this hazy fog. It's not unpleasant, but it's like a different consciousness. (I take it for migraines 2 pills at a time) We also had to give it to our Bloodhound..she got 3 every 4 hours or so, plus a valium, so she was a full-fledged stoner pup for awhile. I know how differently they act when on it. If you think she's in any pain, don't be afraid to use the tramadol- honestly she doesn't know she's acting different. It's that stoned, can't feel a thing, life is ok thing from the drug. Almost like living in slow motion. I hope this all makes sense. It's not a bad drug at all, good pain killer, it just sort of flattens your affect, which is much better than feeling anything when you need it.

Hang in there, I wish you all the best, and will keep you in my prayers.

Sending hugs to you and gentle scritches to Polli.

CAMP GREYHOUND

Tempo (Keep the Tempo), Nora (Road Noise) & Gabe the babe (Gable Habenero), Cooper (Uncle Bud's Coop), Topper (Red Top), & Galgos Lisette & Manolito. Missing our beloved angels Cody (Kiowa My Dodie), Lou (Cantankerous Lou), Romi (FingerRoll), Connie (Devie's Concord), Millie (Djays Overhaul), Bailey (Hallo Forty nine), Andy (Iza Handy Boy, and Rocco (Ripley Rocco), Gracie (VS Megan), Eragon the Longdog, Joey (WJS Flashfire), Roy (Folly and Glory)

What is wrong with me? I mean really, what is wrong with me? I just reread the beginning of this thread and i was wondering why Polli was depressed and didn't want to walk?

What am I on drugs??? Let's see, why is Polli depressed and why might Polli not want to walk???

Could it have anything to do with the fact that she had a LIMP removed 8, yes EIGHT days ago?

Could it be that she is just a bit uncomfortable and walking doesn't feel good?

Could the fire in her eyes be just a bit clouded due to masses doses of pain killers?

Could it be all of the above???

again, I repeat, what is wrong with me?

How I did not get flamed, is beyond me.

Flame away! I mean really.

I started reading other tripods story on a site Bev turned me on to, it's nothing but tripods.

I started browsing through the threads and found ones exact to what is going on and when I read theirs, the light bulb went off in my head.

No, I am not on drugs. Maybe a bit lacking in the sleep department, but I have regrouped.

Polli is going to be fine, when she is ready to be. On Polli's schedule, not Robin's.

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

It's amazing when that light bulb goes off isn't it? :lol :lol We are so used to everything in an instant that we get frustrated or think something is wrong when everything isn't like that. Just take some deep breaths with your arms wrapped around your beautiful girl with your face smooshed into her and then know everything is good! Sleep might help too! Hugs and scritches - hope you all have a good weekend.

What is wrong with me? I mean really, what is wrong with me? I just reread the beginning of this thread and i was wondering why Polli was depressed and didn't want to walk?

What am I on drugs??? Let's see, why is Polli depressed and why might Polli not want to walk???

Could it have anything to do with the fact that she had a LIMP removed 8, yes EIGHT days ago?

Could the fire in her eyes be just a bit clouded due to masses doses of pain killers?

I started reading other tripods story on a site Bev turned me on to, it's nothing but tripods.

I started browsing through the threads and found ones exact to what is going on and when I read theirs, the light bulb went off in my head.

No, I am not on drugs. Maybe a bit lacking in the sleep department, but I have regrouped.

Polli is going to be fine, when she is ready to be. On Polli's schedule, not Robin's.

There's nothing wrong with you. You're exhausted and worried for your baby. You are doing everything you can to make things right for her.

gallery_17374_2906_4494.jpg
Beverly. Missing my happy toy-flinging boy Sammy (Where's Mandrill), (8/12/2009-9/30-2021) Desperately missing my angel Mandy (BB's Luv) [7/1/2000 - 9/18/2012]. Always missing Meg the Dalmatian and Ralph Malph the Pekeapoo.

Guest HeatherDemps

Nothing at all wrong with you! :) I remember well the complete physical and mental exhaustion those first couple of weeks. Lots and lots of emotional highs and lows. Sleep deprivation can really whack you upside the head!!! Keep hanging in there. :)

Nothing wrong with you, kiddo. You lose track of time when you're worrying about your girlie and sleep-deprived besides. Hopefully BOTH of those bits will be over soon. :)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I haven't had to go through what you have but I do know about the anxiety that comes when things aren't right with one of my kiddos. I think it's a combo of the meds and the major adjustment..she's learning to get around on three legs now and someone earlier mentioned the soreness that could be coming from that. I bet once she gets things figured out she'll bounce back to the happy girl you're used to! Don't let her see your fret and keep the faith!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Robin,

Hang in there. You and Polli WILL be just fine. You now know it must be on Polli's schedule, and she will do it. She will surprise you in time. She is such a love and you are doing all you can for her. Keep up the greyt job. We'll all be sending healing and serene thoughts your way. Kisses for Polli from Booker and Bella.

Jan

Nothing is wrong with you Robin, you're a worried mum who loves her girl. Don't even think about blaming yourself for worrying. You're doing an amazing job, and besides, Polli is counting on you to be her support, her world, and she will pick up on your positive energy.

:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest chubbster

Robin,

It has been 5 months since Phoenix's surgery and we still see him changing everyday. His reaction to his surgery is probably much different thatn Polli's. He was walking around with a broken leg and open wound for 8 months. His surgery was a relief...Polli's was such a shock to her and to you.

Phoenix's amputation was secondary to his starvation issues...he was so weak and we just saw him getting stronger and stronger. My husband reminded me tonight that Phoenix really started to become more animated once the stiches were removed. Perhaps it will be the same for Polli.

Hang in there Robin. Polli will pick up on your emotions...she (and you) have been through quite an ordeal.

Keeping you all in our thoughts.

judy, joe, adam, otto, chubbs, and phoenix

Nothing wrong with you, Robin, other than being sleep deprived and worried sick. :grouphug You can't "fix" her... just allow her to heal in her own time, providing all the comforts you can and do. Polli IS fine, given what she's adjusting to, and will be back to her barky waggy self before you know it! :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest IrskasMom

Ohhh Robin ,you beating yourself up over something you have No Control. First the amount of Drugs ,the whole Trauma

of Surgery and being away from you plays a Rolle in her being. You doing everything in your Power to keep sweet Polli

Comfortable and Painfree and happy. Lots of gentle Hugs to you and Polli :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug:grouphug Nothing ....absolutly nothing you doing wrong .

Edited by IrskasMom