You Take The Bad With The Good...

I can't believe this. I can't.

Argos has had a pretty bad limp for the past 10 days or so. I doubled up his arthritis meds and gave him an aspirin daily, but it didn't change, so I was suspicious. Then of course we got a bit distracted by the whole "having a baby" thing, so we were gone for a few days. We got home from the hospital on Sunday night and he was still limping, even though our friends who had him were keeping him on the same regimen. Finally got to the vet today and she all but confirmed out worst fear - osteo. She is sending the films to an orthopedist and to Dr. Couto, and we'll know for sure early next week, but she is not hopeful of any other answer. Our vet actually went to Ohio State vet school and knows Dr. Couto and has consulted with him on other cases, so she was more than happy to send the films to him. She said it could also be osteosomething, which is basically a bad bone infection, but because he's a greyhound it's probably cancer. The worst part is that it's in his shoulder, so there is nothing we can do for him if it's cancer. We have him on rimadyl and tramadol for pain, and we're just loving up on him as much as we can.

I hold this beautiful brand new baby boy of mine and the whole world feels like a better place, and then this happens. I can't stop crying. I'm crying for Argos, who is in pain and doesn't understand why this little person is invading his home, I'm crying for Lucas, who will probably never know Argos, the world's greatest dog, and I'm crying for us, that we have had such a short time with the world's greatest dog.

We are holding out a little bit of hope that it's not osteo, but we're also trying to prepare ourselves.

The GT chanting to get me into labor on my own helped, so maybe a little more chanting would help again???? Maybe he has shadowy bones. Maybe he has an infection. Maybe he has that elusive nonlethal cancer that just makes him walk funny. Maybe.

Edited to add - he is on 1 rimadyl every 12 hours and 1/2 to 1 tramadol every 8 hours. If it seems like he's in pain still, how much more can I give him?

Edited by CMoon75
gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so very sorry. This should be such a joyous time in your life right now. Hoping and praying for good news.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

Keeping you and your boy in my prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Chanting this is not what we fear. Sending prayers and the most gentle hugs. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest greytful4

Congratulations on the birth of your new little boy and I'm terribly sorry about Argos,I'm praying that it's nothing that medicine can't cure. Hugs to you and your gentle, brave boy :gh_child

Oh GOD- I am so sorry, we are right with you going through the same thing at this very moment.

Hugs to you and your new family.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest longdogs

Life has a way of tripping us up. Just remember the joy of your new baby and Argos' illness are two separate things and one needn't spoil the other. I hope you soon get Argos' pain under control then you can all take a deep breath. It's hard enough bringing a new baby home without this happening. I'm sure Lucas has a happy future with a friendly greyhound in it.

Our Bloodhound weighed 90 lbs and the neurologist had her on 3 tramadols (50 mg each) 3-4 times a day as needed for pain, plus she took a valium each time too. I got the Rx filled at a pharmacy that did the $4 for a months supply of generic drugs, and that saved us a lot of money.

I'll keep you all in my prayers, I know how awful it is to see your pup in such pain, I cried buckets every time Sexi whimpered or moaned. Ask about a higher dose of tramadol..it helped Sexi a lot.

Guest PiagetsMom

I know you have a lot on your plate - you're a new mother and now problems with Argus, but please, take care of yourself right now, too :grouphug I truly hope that Argus' diagnosis is not as bad as you fear.

Oh I'm so sorry. How unfair. Jack is on Tramadol 50 mgs 3x/day occasionally 4 and meloxicam (vs rimydal) so he can have more Tramadol for sure, Jack is palliative - no amp/chemo.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I'm so very sorry you're having to deal with this. :cry1 Pain control is essential. Depending upon how much Argos weighs, you should be able to up his dosage of tramadol substantially for adequate pain control. Check with your vet for guidelines. Sending lots of prayers and light to all of you... :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest HoustonGreys

I'm so very sorry that the birth of your son is shadowed by the sad news for Argos. I certainly understand your tears and will keep Argos and you in my prayers. Please take care of yourself too. :grouphug