Avril

Avril, my sweet blue fawn girl, is exhibiting signs of pain when getting up from her dog bed from a resting position..She shows no signs of a limp, has a good appetite and plays some. However, she's not the wild woman she usually is. Typically, Avril does zoomies upstairs from the game room through my teenagers room and back and zoomies in the back yard several times a day. She hasn't been doing this lately. But let me add, I live in Houston and am still without power and have had lots of damage to my house from Hurricane Ike, so this could be a reason for her not being as active.

Avril just turned 5 in August. She is absolutely the sweetest grey ever. She goes to work with me, I work in Rehab and she relates so well to my patients.

I am so overwhelmed with concern that something's really wrong with her. She screams bloody murder when she gets up. Then she seems fine.

I know this isn't about me but about her but I am really stressed. I lost my heart Scooter and Harbor to osteo within a 2 week period 6 months ago. I am a cancer survivor (finished treatments recently) and I adopted Dalton, a senior, 2 months ago who has had major health problems. He has been treated for a TBD and went from 80 to 65 lbs but is doing better.

Anyway, any advice, and especially prayers would be so appreciated.

I want my Avril, my Vril, to be fine.

Please let it be just a pulled muscle or something...

Edited to add...no vet visit yet but I will be going ASAP

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest meakah

Could she have hurt her back or neck? I would try palpating her all over and watch for signs of pain....a wince...wimper....twitch.... Might help give clues as to where she is hurting. It would be hard to diagnose without pinpointing the area a bit more. My thoughts are with you both....I am sorry you have been through so much as of late. :grouphug

Sending prayers... :hope I'd definitely get her into the vet, since it's been ongoing. Hugs to you, too. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm not sure from your post how long this has been going on, but if it's just a couple of days, it could just be a sprained neck. Sophie was doing the exact same thing a few weeks ago: screaming whenever she got up from lying down and then fine. I was able to examine her neck by gently moving it up and down and right to left and could see that it was painful when she moved her head up and to the right. I thought it was most probably a sprain so decided to wait a couple of days before taking her to the vet to see if it got better ... and it did. If Avril's problem has been going on for longer, though, I'd definitely take her to the vet.

Here's hoping for just a sprain though :hope .

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Pam, I was also wondering if she hurt her back or neck. The same thing happened to Loca a few years ago and she responded really well to massage and a hot water bottle.

You're both in my thoughts.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest IrskasMom

You must have a Vet right on your Fingertips ! But Hopefully nothing to serious with your little Vril . Keeping my Fingers

crossed and Prayers for that Girl :grouphug:hope:grouphug:hope:grouphug

Please try not to worry too much at this point! It could be just a pull or a strain! She sounds like a fun, active girl, and they do pull and strain things just like we do. And as we know, most of them are VERY dramatic with the screams! What other breed has a special name for that over-reacting God awful noise? The Greyhound Scream of Death!

My last dog was very active too--always climbing on things, jumping, etc. More than once I'd race him off to the vet thinking the worst only to find him acting perfectly normal when we got there.

I'm sorry about your house. That's awful!

I hope that rest and a little Rimadyl has your girl fixed up good as new.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Forgot the part on how long it's been going on...12 days now. It became worse, around day 6 and has been the same since, not better but not worse. I do know I will take her in first thing Monday. Please understand that my area has been basically on survival mode from the hurricane. I kept thinking it would be fine tomorrow.

Thanks for some great advice and mainly just listening. I too wondered about her neck or back.

Please continue with the prayers for Avril....

Thank you all.

Pam

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest SoulsMom

Thinking of you and your girl. :grouphug

I don't know if this will help, but I had a Pom once who started screaming every time he moved. It was a pinched disc in his spine. We put him on medication (I don't remember what, I was only 14 at the time) and it worked. With the exception that as he aged, every now and then his old injury would "flare up". When would always know when he was feeling gimpy because he would move a little slower and be very snuggly (Max was normally not an affectionate dog, unless someone was ill)

I know that your area got hit hard, I hope relief is around the corner for you and that your little girl will be just fine. We will keep her in our prayers and hope for something with an easy fix. Please keep us posted. That is so cool that she goes to work with you and relates to your clients. She must be a very special girl.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Mommydog

Get her checked by the vet of course, but it sounds very much like a back/neck problem to me. My bridge boy Raffie had a lot of issues with his back. If it is that then acupuncture, if you can get it, is a brilliant form of treatment for that type of thing, in my experience anyway. Try not to worry too much :bighug

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for Avril. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck and hope that it's nothing serious. :bighug

I hope you get power back soon... :(

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

What you are describing is how our Angel Sophia first started out with her disc problems in her neck. Prednisone helped her for a while. Sending prayers for your little girl...for sure~vet visit! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

It does sound like neck or back pain, one of my boys used to get it and he would scream blue murder but it would go away on its own. Sending best wishes to Avril that is it something simple (if painful at the time) like that.

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Our thoughts are with you and Avril. I hope the vet visit shows a pull or sprain. :goodluck

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.