Brooke Needs Prayers!

Brooke, my first greyhound and the one who started my obsession with the breed, broke her rear leg this morning at 6:30am. She shattered the femur just above the patella and it's not looking good for her right now. The vet suspects osteo though he couldn't tell from the x-rays. If there isn't any cancer then he's going to try to repair the break with a plate. If it's cancer then I don't know what I'm going to do. She's not a good candidate for amputation because her front legs aren't in good shape from racing injuries.

The dogs were doing there normal morning goofiness in the yard, and I suspect one of the boys collided with her. I was looking in the opposite direction until I heard the GSOD. That is a sound I don't ever want to hear again!

Brooke will be 10 years old on Jan. 1st and I really need her to be OK.

I could really use some advice or suggestions on her treatment...right now I can't even think straight. I'm suppose to call the vet at 4ish to see how she's doing. He had another bone surgery today, so he couldn't start Brooke right away. He'll either do surgery this evening or tomorrow.

Thanks

Update: Brooke is out of surgery. The vet said she has a compression fracture and the femur was crushed. He didn't see any evidence of a tumor but he's not going to rule out osteo because the bone had disintegrated at the break. He put in a plate but was unable to bring the bones together because there was so much damage, so he's concerned about there being sufficient blood supply to the bones.

I'm going to see her in the morning and take her some of her food and her bed, and give her lots of lovin. If she does OK over the weekend, she'll be able to come home Mon.

My Boogers still needs lots of prayers...we have a long road ahead.

Thanks everyone.

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I can't offer any advice, no experience with this. But we sure will keep Brooke in our prayers and look for a good update

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Oh No Denise!!!!! If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know. You drive right by our exit when you go to the vet so please don't be afraid to ask. My thoughts are with you and Brooke. Be strong little girl!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Oh no!

Okay, starting a chant over here!!

*Brooke took a hit, and has a normal break! A break that will heal so she can return to goofiness asap!! :bounce Brooke took a hit, and has a normal break! A break that will heal so she can return to goofiness asap!! :bounce Brooke took a hit, and has a normal break! A break that will heal so she can return to goofiness asap!! :bounce *

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

:goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Brooke just went into surgery so now I wait!

Thank you everyone so much. Xan, you put a smile on my face with your chant.

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

:goodluck:hope

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest wmlcml6

so that's good news, right? Does surgery means it's "just" a break? I'm hoping for that.

HUGS, Denise. Let me know if I can do anything.

I'm so glad he was able to get to her this afternoon. I'm still praying for her Denise.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Keep us posted. One of mine broke his leg just playing chase & turning too quick. I was out picking up poop & heard it pop...then the scream. Luckily it happened before 6pm & I called Dr. B, I took him in & left him over night. No surgery, just a cast.

Oct28525.jpg