Genie's Gone

Guest derfaroo

Guest derfaroo

Thank you all for posting such wonderful sentiments. We got Genie's ashes back today. I threw away the heavy red velvet bag ...Genie wasn't into FUNERAL GARB!!!! But the wooden carved box is amazing... and we now have our baby Home again. We loved her so very much...but know what a gift she was....

Look for the posts on her new "SISTER". We're looking at ANNA... 5 1/2 years old...bounced out of her family because her Mom had alzheimers...and thought Anna was evil. We don't think Anna could do any harm. They're testing for small animals because Eddie's best girlfriend is a NASTY little black terrier....who stays with us frequently

Well.. We'll see... Drama QUEEN Neena will report back.

Our hearts are so warmed because of all of your posts. Genie was the BEST. We'll always have treasured thoughts and memories..and pictures out the butt! And our new baby girl will not replace her...but maybe fill the hole in our hearts.

I can't express how much your notes have helped us heal. Genie was a STAR! Genie was the BEST until her last day!!! THANKS TO ALL! She's gone..on her own terms. Thank you dear Genie!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neena, I'm so sorry that you have lost this incredibly special girl. How blessed Genie and your family were that she was exactly where she was supposed to be. She was celebrated and shared so unselfishly. You were her angels. And now she is your angel, and ours, as well. Her loss is great, but her accomplishments even greater. That indomitable spirit influenced so many, and the joy and courage and love she embodied spread like ripples across a lake. Small (yet huge) victories that will bring smiles for years to come.

ETA I'm so happy to see that you are honoring your Genie by saving another Grey. She knows she won't be replaced, but she had a paw in it, for sure. May your new girl help to ease your pain a little.

Edited by queenwinniesmom

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest derfaroo

And NOW... an artist has offered to do her rendition of Genie from one of our favorite pictures... WE HAVE SO MANY!!! We get the original...and TEN prints to be offfered to her favorite adoption groups to maybe raise a few exta dollars to help others to find homes. It's Just like GENIE to keep helping...even after she's gone. But NEVER FORGOTTEN! WE LOVED HER SO! ALWAYS WILL!

Guest HoustonGreys
:f_pink What a wonderful inspiration and ambassador she was. She had a great life with you --- a full life of purpose to help all retired racers. Run free, sweet Genie!

Guest GriffinsMom

Rest well Genie, for all you have done to bring awareness to greyhound adoption, I thank you and honour you. Godspeed on your journey to the Bridge.

:f_red:gh_run:f_red

Guest mdituro

Oh, Neena!

I am just seeing your post today as I haven't been online since Sunday to visit GT. I won't elaborate on how shocked or saddened I am, rather, I will adhere to your wishes to celebrate & honor Genie's contributions to ALL Greyhounds by contributing something in her memory, to someone in need. If you have any particular group in mind, would you mind sharing that info? (Email me personally, if you prefer)

There is just one little bit of my heart that I have to share with you, Neena. I will truly, truly, TRULY miss seeing Genie at Sandy Paws where we first met her. I will never forget that first time! She was entered as a Senior but she was just so full of energy I thought she must have been on the younger side of what I considered the definition "senior" to be. I remember I asked you if she was 10 or 11 and, much to my amazement, you replied "She's 15!" I just have to tell you, I spent the rest of the event asking people "Do you know how old that dog is? Can you believe that?" And then -- you told us how she saved your DH's life! Well, to say we were amazed would be the grossest of understatements!! Since that time, I have always -eagerly - looked for you folks as soon as we get to Sandy Paws in hopes of catching a glimpse of your amazing girl. Genie has, AND ALWAYS WILL, remain in my heart as a beacon light and of hope that we may someday be so privileged as to have one of our pups be with us well into their "senior" years! Thank you, Genie, from the bottom of my heart! :wub:

In my mind, it is no wonder that Genie was at home and left on her own terms. What else could anyone have ever expected from Queen Genie? The fact that she spent her last hours where she most wanted to be, I think - must have been - quintessential Genie. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you & your whole family (in fact, I wish I could give you a great, big hug right now!) but she was happy, right to the end - and it was all of you that gave her that happiness.

Goodbye and Godspeed, sweet Genie! You will always be remembered and I will always be personally grateful to have known you! :heart

With much affection to the Derf Family,

Mary Ann & David Dituro

Orley & Lily, our Greytkids

Fortune running at the Bridge :gh_run

Guest KyGrey

I am just now seeing this due to my computer being in the shop again. I am so sorry to hear about wonderful Genie. She did so much when it came to greyhound adoption and being the inspiration to us all and all our dear 4-legged friends/family members. I know I feel so blessed to have known Genie even though it was through a forum on the internet.

I was talking to someone at Greyhounds of the Bluegrass who knows you, your DH and the puppers. I will have to try to remember what group he is with. I won a t-shirt from that group and will post later.

Genie will always be remembered! She will live on in the stories you tell and the pictures you post. She did an amazing job and did it well.

Guest derfaroo
Oh, Neena!

I am just seeing your post today as I haven't been online since Sunday to visit GT. I won't elaborate on how shocked or saddened I am, rather, I will adhere to your wishes to celebrate & honor Genie's contributions to ALL Greyhounds by contributing something in her memory, to someone in need. If you have any particular group in mind, would you mind sharing that info? (Email me personally, if you prefer)

There is just one little bit of my heart that I have to share with you, Neena. I will truly, truly, TRULY miss seeing Genie at Sandy Paws where we first met her. I will never forget that first time! She was entered as a Senior but she was just so full of energy I thought she must have been on the younger side of what I considered the definition "senior" to be. I remember I asked you if she was 10 or 11 and, much to my amazement, you replied "She's 15!" I just have to tell you, I spent the rest of the event asking people "Do you know how old that dog is? Can you believe that?" And then -- you told us how she saved your DH's life! Well, to say we were amazed would be the grossest of understatements!! Since that time, I have always -eagerly - looked for you folks as soon as we get to Sandy Paws in hopes of catching a glimpse of your amazing girl. Genie has, AND ALWAYS WILL, remain in my heart as a beacon light and of hope that we may someday be so privileged as to have one of our pups be with us well into their "senior" years! Thank you, Genie, from the bottom of my heart! :wub:

In my mind, it is no wonder that Genie was at home and left on her own terms. What else could anyone have ever expected from Queen Genie? The fact that she spent her last hours where she most wanted to be, I think - must have been - quintessential Genie. I know it doesn't make it any easier for you & your whole family (in fact, I wish I could give you a great, big hug right now!) but she was happy, right to the end - and it was all of you that gave her that happiness.

Goodbye and Godspeed, sweet Genie! You will always be remembered and I will always be personally grateful to have known you! :heart

With much affection to the Derf Family,

Mary Ann & David Dituro

Orley & Lily, our Greytkids

Fortune running at the Bridge :gh_run

All I can say is WOW! What a wonderful tribute to Genie, Mary Ann & David! I'm in tears AGAIN! We were the luckiest people on earth that Genie chose to be part of our family. What a joy! She never acted sickly...always had a big smile. She was outstanding. It would be a tremendous honor and such a wonderful gift if you choose to make a donation in honor of Genie. She & Eddie came from GPA Tampa Bay...but it matters not which group you choose to give a gift. Our little girl is still helping those greys still in need of homes...even after she's gone to the bridge. Thank you so very much.

Check out my new post! We adopted a new girl last night! Anna Banana...whose racing name was DARN RIGHT! I guess so!

Thank YOU and EVERYONE! I'm still printing every single page. I don't know that ANY dog has gotten as much loving sentiments from so many! It means the world to us!

I am just now seeing this due to my computer being in the shop again. I am so sorry to hear about wonderful Genie. She did so much when it came to greyhound adoption and being the inspiration to us all and all our dear 4-legged friends/family members. I know I feel so blessed to have known Genie even though it was through a forum on the internet.

I was talking to someone at Greyhounds of the Bluegrass who knows you, your DH and the puppers. I will have to try to remember what group he is with. I won a t-shirt from that group and will post later.

Genie will always be remembered! She will live on in the stories you tell and the pictures you post. She did an amazing job and did it well.

That group sent us a letter months ago...asking if Genie could please attend as their Guest of Honor. Was it Mike & Judy Shamp...GreyArt?

Guest mdituro
All I can say is WOW! What a wonderful tribute to Genie, Mary Ann & David! I'm in tears AGAIN! We were the luckiest people on earth that Genie chose to be part of our family. What a joy! She never acted sickly...always had a big smile. She was outstanding. It would be a tremendous honor and such a wonderful gift if you choose to make a donation in honor of Genie. She & Eddie came from GPA Tampa Bay...but it matters not which group you choose to give a gift. Our little girl is still helping those greys still in need of homes...even after she's gone to the bridge. Thank you so very much.

Check out my new post! We adopted a new girl last night! Anna Banana...whose racing name was DARN RIGHT! I guess so!

Thank YOU and EVERYONE! I'm still printing every single page. I don't know that ANY dog has gotten as much loving sentiments from so many! It means the world to us!

I'm so sorry! I certainly did NOT mean to make you cry, Neena, I just wanted to relate to you how much of a POSITIVE impact Genie had on us - and we only got to see her once a year! My only regret is that we were unable to attend her Birthday Party (to which I still have the invitation, next to my computer). I want you to know, we were there in spirit! A donation will be made in her honor to GPA Tampa Bay, today.

Congratulations to you, Tim, & Eddie on your new arrival, Anna Banana! I know in my heart, Genie will be there to watch over all of you, always!

Mary Ann

Guest derfaroo

I'm so sorry! I certainly did NOT mean to make you cry, Neena, I just wanted to relate to you how much of a POSITIVE impact Genie had on us - and we only got to see her once a year! My only regret is that we were unable to attend her Birthday Party (to which I still have the invitation, next to my computer). I want you to know, we were there in spirit! A donation will be made in her honor to GPA Tampa Bay, today.

Congratulations to you, Tim, & Eddie on your new arrival, Anna Banana! I know in my heart, Genie will be there to watch over all of you, always!

Mary Ann

Dear Mary Ann...

GPA sent me a note telling me of your wonderful gift. THANK YOU SO MUCH! Your words were beautiful...and I will always be a mushball over that girl of ours. Probably even at next year's Sandy Paws. We still pull up the videos on www.myfoxtampabay.com in the search box type: Genie Greyhound and the stories and videos will be linked.

We just took Anna Banana & Eddie Spaghetti for their first van ride together....last night was her first ice cream SHE LOVED IT!!!! And right now she's laying on Genie's Queen size bed. Our new angel.

Thank you, Mary Ann. You have such a big, generous heart. Your words will be with us always!

Neena

No cards...no sad notes, please. INSTEAD....Celebrate the wonderful life Genie had. Maybe give a dollar to an adoption group in her memory. She was the prize! Remember the birthday parties...and how she loved to play. Genie was certainly one of a kind!

Neena, my crew will celebrate her life with an extra cookie in honor of her graduation to angel status.

We were all honored that you shared her with us, and that she shared herself with us, too.

Thanks, to you and to Genie!

:bighug

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest madredhare

I did see on another group that I get e-mails from, that Genie had passed. I must admit that my eyes welled up with tears. She had a full life, and gave some of us who had lost their greys too young, that there was hope to live a long life! Run free sweet girl!

Guest derfaroo

I'm still in mourning...but realize with every day...what a gift! What a joy for so many incredible years!!! I know that Genie CHOSE Anna Banana to be ours. Anna is so beautiful and couldn't be placed for more than a year because of her "attitude". She saved it for us! She needed us... we needed her! Thank you Genie Beanie! I am so thankful she went at home...she knew!

Wow, I have so few words for you Neena that haven't already been said. I just saw a video of Genie and she was one incredible Grey. I am sorry for your loss and happy that you had such a long time with her. She was and always will be beautiful. She will always be remembered, forever...

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest jackjack
f_yellow I am just seeing this now, and you have my deepest sympathies. Genie was an amazing embasador for greyhounds! I have enjoyed your posts, and your videos of the lovely Miss Genie. She will be missed. Rest in peace sweetie f_yellow

Guest derfaroo

Genie did a good job of touching people's hearts. She was my shining star...the girl who was so happy helping other greyhounds find their way home. Including Anna Banana. Genie sent her to us. There are too many coincidences...God Bless my little angel. We were so fortunate that she chose us.

Guest derfaroo

Such Good News... People have been sending donations in memory of our dear Genie. I can't thank ENOUGH! AND I've asked those who have given her birthday gifts to please consider offering up to GPA Tampa Bay's October Auction...so that Genie may be of some small help in their efforts.

Tim went to bed in tears tonight. The medical center where he works part time... EVERYONE donated and gave him a condolance card... My sweet husband loved GENIE SO! I Guess!

So... look for GPA's auction announcement October 1-7... AND BID HIGH! In memory of our sweetest angel. GENIE!