Genie's Gone

Guest derfaroo

Guest derfaroo

Early this morning we lost our precious Genie. SO SAD!

She really never was "right" since the cancer surgery last month. She seemed to be panting more than normal...but always happy and playful. Yesterday, we were invited to a greyhound party! Genie and Eddie were so excited to go. Genie danced wanting to go for a ride in the car. The event was in an air conditioned building about 20 minutes from home... Genie was the shining star. She smelled every boy's butt...and pranced around having a good time. We only stayed about 20 minutes....but, on the way home, Genie developed a breathing problem. We got her home...and she was wobbly...got her inside...and she layed for a few minutes on her bed in the kitchen area. Then...she got a spurt of energy and went back to that big Queen size bed of hers and jumped up. Even to her last breath...she was the fighter...the champion...our angel.

She fought hard...but at 2:05 A. M. this morning... she left us. No tubes or needles...not apparently in pain, just breathing hard. She left us in her favorite spot...on her big old bed.

We loved her so very much...and she loved us too!

We're proud to have had Genie in our family....happy that in her last year, she was able to maybe raise an extra dollar or two for the greyhounds still in need of good homes....and although sad to see her go...we know that we were blessed every single day she was a part of our family. Who would have thought that 11 year old we brought home would live to be 20!... AND SAVE TIM's LIFE too! Amazing.

No cards...no sad notes, please. INSTEAD....Celebrate the wonderful life Genie had. Maybe give a dollar to an adoption group in her memory. She was the prize! Remember the birthday parties...and how she loved to play. Genie was certainly one of a kind!

And will be sorely missed...

Neena

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caiteag

Genie, you will always be an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your life with us. I feel so lucky to have gotten to "know" you through Greytalk and you will have a special place in my heart.

Brightest Blessings to you and your family!!

Okay, you said no sad notes. So as my heart just breaks, I want to say that you,your family,Genie and Eddie are just amazing. A big loss for the Greyhound world

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest LokisMom

I am so sorry she is gone, but so happy for you that you got 9 wonderful years with her.

I will celebrate soon, right now I need to cry. It was amazing getting to know Genie through GT. She is one of the things that helped convince DBF to adopt a senior. We love him like crazy. Thank you, Genie.

Guest VelvetEars

Genie - you were quite a celebrity and the Queen of all the Old Ladies. We will miss you, but are thankful you were able to spread the Greyhound Love with so many other the years.

Godspeed, beautiful girl. Run with the angels.

Guest MomoftheFuzzy

She was such a special girl. I loved hearing her updates and she definitely inspired me, as well. Thank you so much, Neena and family, for sharing Genie (and her experiences) with us. I am so sorry for your loss but, it seems, you are more proud than anything, as you stated. I can't decide who was more fortunate: you or Genie. What a beautiful life you all had together.

:grouphug

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Oh Neena & Tim - I am soooo sorry! I'm crying as I write this as I feel like I knew Genie personally. She was so lovely and such a great ambassador for the breed. My thoughts are with you and I hope your pain passes quickly so that your memories of Genie will make you happy. She's waiting at the Bridge for you.

Donna

Guest SkinnyLegDogLover

Neena,

I am so sorry to hear about Genie. Buddy & I saw her just this past February at Woofstock and were so blessed to have

met her and given her scritchies. She is truly an inspiration, and will always be with you in your heart. :angelwings

Thank you for sharing Genie with the GT family!! We'll all miss her!

And thank YOU, Genie, for all you've done for the world of greyhounds!

(Sniff...)

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Genie you were an inspiration. When ever we do our M&G and people ask how long do they live; and they always ask that question, I was able to tell them about Suzy and Genie.

Fly free sweet girl. You were well loved.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Thank you for sharing your glorious girl and her amazing story with us. Now she will reign forever as the Empress of Greyhounds at the Bridge! We will never forget her!

Hugs to you and your family,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

i am so, so very sorry. we really enjoyed reading about Genie and seeing her pictures. we'll miss her, also.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest greytexplorer

Genie, you wrote the book on "Ambassadogs for Dummies"!! :kiss2

You told the world about the best gift from God>>GREYHOUNDS!!! :lol

You will be sorely missed, but NEVER forgotten! :nod

Please watch over Eddie, Neena and Tim.

and thanks for the memories......

~Pat

Mandy :>

Ester :>

Guest greytbookert

Genie was loved by so many from afar but most importantly, she knew the love of her people! Genie was and will continue to be an inspiration for so many hounds and their people! Thanks for sharing her stories with all of us.

What a special girl. She was an amazing dog, andI feel luck to hae known her, even if it was just virtually.

Run free, Genie!

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

I'm so sorry.

I'm sure heaven must be filled with cookies, car rides, queen-sized beds, and all the room in the world to run and play.

Enjoy it, sweet girl. You've more than earned it.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.