Rickie Going In For Surgery July 18

Thanks for the update. Continuing to send prayers and light his way. :hope:candle

Lots of hugs to you, too. This must be so very stressful. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So happy to hear the surgery went well. We've been thinking about you and Rickie. Prayers for an easy recovery and a good path report

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Sending prayers and healing energy!

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Sending healing thoughts to your Rickie, and prayers for a decent path report.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You were on my mind all day, actually Rickie was! Gald to hear all went well, YES! I do know that feeling.

It will feel like forever until he is home, but he will be sleeping and dreaming of you anyway~ ;)

Try to have a nice weekend and we will all keep Rickie in our thoughts and prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest RooRoo

Thank goodness the surgery is over, he came through and now your little guy can start to heal.

I know you'll miss Rickie not being home with you and wondering if he's scared and homesick... just remember tonight and tomorrow especially he will be on meds and not feeling things too much and doing a ton of sleeping, that will take the edge off for you worrying about him. Even though it's hard, he is best being there for these first few days. The doctors and nurses can make sure everything continues to go well and monitor his incision, reaction to medication, etc... Will they let you visit ? If not, just hang in there!!

lots of good thoughts for a great path report next week :goodluck

Take care

Maria

Saturday AM: spoke with the vet taking care of Rickie in recovery. She said he is still heavily sedated but stable. They are monitoring him closely and are starting to lower the pain meds a little, though she said they adjust back up if there is any sign of discomfort as he needs to be comfortable in order to heal.

They will try to get him to eat later today - in the meantime he's on IV fluids. I told her I can bring down some roasted chicken if he won't take what they are offering (and even if he will).

His suture lines look fine - a little bleeding at the main site which is to be expected with this kind of surgery.

When I go down as well as food I'll probably bring him a piece of laundry :) so he has something familiar around him.

I miss him so much.

Guest LadyChester

I have been thinking of you and Rickie constantly and sending healing thoughts. I know how hard it must be for you to not have your boy at home, Mary, but I'm sure it is best for him right now. I am relieved the surgery went well and he is stable. Hugs to both of you (a very gentle one for Rickie) :grouphug

Sending more prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

I'm glad the surgery went well for Rickie. Our first whippet, Piper, went through about 5-6 surgeries to remove tumors and it was always hard not having him home with me. I'll be thinking good thoughts for Rickie and hope that he gets to come home soon.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest RooRoo

That would be great for you to see him... with the medication side effects and what he's been through, it won't faze HIM, in that he won't get excited or have SA by your visit, yet you'll feel better knowing he is safe and well cared for and you can give him a much need smooch! :kiss2

Come on Rickie, eat your num nums and go potty and before you know it, you'll be home on your own bed :couchjump

You're doing great Mary :thumbs-up

Just seeing this now. Sounds like Rickie is doing fine and in great hands :)

I know how you must feel as my 10 year old, Shadow, had a hemangiopericytoma removed from his knee earlier this year. I was not prepared for how big the wound would be and, because of where it was, the stitches didn't hold. After the pain subsided, though, the wound didn't seem to faze Shadow in the least. It took a while to heal, but it did.

It sounds like this is a recurrence, so I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. I will say that the one-legged sweats we made for Shadow were a God-send since he couldn't seem to handle the e-collar. If that's something that you think would be of help let me know and I'll gladly share that with you.

I'll be thinking of you and Rickie. Please keep us posted on his progress.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

I went down to the hospital mid-morning expecting only to drop off food, but the attending vet asked me to stay and see if he would eat for me.

It was a much better setup - they brought him into the "family room" which is like an exam room converted into a sitting room. We took off the cone, put him up on the couch and I closed the door so it was very quiet and private.

I had brought quite a few things with me hoping he'd want something. And, drumroll, he ATE!! He had about 1/6 can of tripe, all the chicken (a few onces I'd guess) and maybe 1/4c of melted reduced fat vanilla Haagen Daas. No go on the hard boiled egg.

I'm going to pick up some vanilla Ensure to mix with the icecream for the next time we go.

I was able to get a better look at the suture line today and it's pretty impressive - it runs several inches along his abdomen and then in sort of a loop over the main site. I was really focused on feeding and cuddling so didn't check it out too thoroughly beyond that.

The leg in the lower part between the site and the foot is still quite swollen and there is still a bit of oozing in the lower part of the incision, but overall I thought he looked pretty good, all things considered.

He's on pretty heavy duty IV painkillers - Fentanyl and Domitor.

I noticed that while he is aware of what is going on around him, he's also sort of glassy eyed, and when nothing has his attention he is inclined to put his head down and rest, which is good.

I'll call shortly and ask them if I can repeat this for dinner tonight and maybe breakfast and dinner tomorrow.

Thank you for your ongoing good thoughts, which are surely helping Rickie and me.

Sending more prayers and hugs too. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Excellent that you got to visit your precious boy and he ate a bit for you. He's on the road to recovery. :yay Continuing to send prayers and light to all... :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

So good to hear that he ate for you. With the heavy duty pain meds that impressive that he ate. He's on the road...that's for sure. He stays in our prayers as do you. You're taking such good care of him

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Did you slip him the tripe? ;)

So happy to hear he will take some food from you.

Will continue good thoughts and prayers for your boy.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I'm so glad he ate for you. That always feels so good when they do. Heal well Rickie!

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

We are going to do meals-on-wheels as long as he's in there, probably two more days - he won't eat for the clinic staff. Not their fault, he is picky and doesn't eat when stressed. As long as we can have the family room and he can relax, he'll eat something. Tripe was no-go tonight, but chicken and Ensure+ice cream were OK. I'll take some cheese tomorrow AM as well.

His leg had just been iced before we came and looked better than this AM - still oozing a bit, still swollen toward the bottom, but less red-angry looking.

If anyone has other suggestions to make a picky post-surgical dog eat, please let me know!

We are going to do meals-on-wheels as long as he's in there, probably two more days - he won't eat for the clinic staff. Not their fault, he is picky and doesn't eat when stressed. As long as we can have the family room and he can relax, he'll eat something. Tripe was no-go tonight, but chicken and Ensure+ice cream were OK. I'll take some cheese tomorrow AM as well.

His leg had just been iced before we came and looked better than this AM - still oozing a bit, still swollen toward the bottom, but less red-angry looking.

If anyone has other suggestions to make a picky post-surgical dog eat, please let me know!

Miss Foxy highly recomends Flakes of Chicken or Flakes of Turkey. :)

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.