Rickie Going In For Surgery July 18

Guest LadyChester

Glad he is eating for you! Do they have him on meds for his tummy? All the pain meds seem to upset their systems, so maybe when they can cut back on those a little he may eat a little better. Hugs for both of you :grouphug

(Meals-on-wheels made me chuckle!)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone has other suggestions to make a picky post-surgical dog eat, please let me know!

I would probably recommend some sort of fish.....it's stinky and it may be a little more attractive than other meats.

Continued prayers for Rickie to heal up quickly so he can come home.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Does he like scrambled eggs, with a little parmesan cheese?

So glad to hear his surgery went well and his recovery is uneventful thus far.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest nerak254
Fish: tuna or salmon; roast beef, hamburger (I feed it cooked); rotissere chicken (big difference from boiled). Can you get the sweet Hawiian rolls there? Hallah (sp) bread.

Hawaiian Bread was a hit for Jessica too. She also liked Dintey Moore Beef Stew.

Oh man, the picky eaters! It was because of YOUR special delivery of tripe for my Polli that we found she really likes that... sometimes!

I hope he starts getting his appetite back soon.

Hugs to you both.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am sorry for not posting sooner, it has been a tumultuous 24h. We weren't expecting Rickie to be discharged until today - they decided yesterday he was well enough and also felt (we agreed) that he would eat and rest better at home. So the first order of business was to leave work early and rush home via food-temptations-shopping to finish preparing the house for his arrival.

We picked him up about 7:30PM and were told to look closely at the incision so we'd know if there were any change, especially swelling, new bruising, weeping, etc.

He was thrilled to be home, and though confined to the dining room with nothing to jump on, took quite awhile to settle down. He gobbled his food, which was mainly the usual stuff with a few goodies added, like he hadn't eaten properly in days - which was the case. I was thrilled. Apparently the pickiness was all related to being in the hospital. Later, after a short and careful potty trip on leash to the backyard, he settled down for the night. I slept beside the dog bed so I'd know if he moved or had any problem.

Most of the night was pretty good - though he insisted on sleeping on the incision-side. Go figure. He had one bad moment when he decided to move to the people mattress on the floor and sort of slid off as he tried to settle. I tried to help him but it hurt him and from watching him it seems everything is low enough that he is able to manage for himself pretty well.

In the morning he looked redder and puffier, although he was happy to go out with me to potty and again ate like a starving creature. We called the hospital and they agreed that a cold compress, well wrapped, would be a good idea to reduce the swelling, and suggested that we alternate warm and cold. I had to be at work early, so DH was on duty.

He called me mid-morning to say Rickie wouldn't tolerate the cold pack, growled at him and whimpered when he tried to put it on; that he was having trouble getting comfortable. I walked out of a meeting, got into the car, picked them both up and we went down to the hospital. They took him into the back and we waited and waited. I was a wreck, imagining all sorts of things they might have to do to help him, not thinking clearly enough to realize nothing would happen without discussion first.

You can imagine, then, how surprised I was when the attending vet came out and said two surgeons had examined him and thought he looked fine. Huh?

Apparently the changes were not as extreme as they seemed to me, they felt everything was in good shape, said he showed no sign of pain when they handled the leg, etc. Advice was status quo on the Tramadol and activity management. I was relieved but also surprised - asked a lot of questions, challenged some things, but that's what it came down to.

She did say, which I hadn't known, that it is around now (4 - 5 days post op) that skin will start dying if it's going to, and there are no signs so far of that. We are to retry compresses, alternating warm and cold. Warm is to help circulation, which will help the skin to stay alive.

We got home a little after two, and Rickie has been snoozing most of the time since, except for a potty break. I feel so sorry for him in the cone, but they were emphatic that he shouldn't have it off unless we were right with him - there is no skin left for repairs if he does damage, and that's pretty convincing motivation. At RooRoo's suggestion I ordered a Comfy Collar which should arrive tomorrow, and will hopefully provide gentler protection.

Shortly I will feed him, try the compress once he gets comfortable, and in due course we'll have a last outing and then settle down for what I pray will be an uneventful night.

No word on the pathology report yet, should be tomorrow.

Thank you again for the ongoing support and prayers.

this is good news!! i hope rickie is back to guarding his crate with gusto :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sounds like he's on his way...thank God. You are taking such good care of him, and you love him. That will go a long way

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Excellent that he's home, eating and soaking up love. :) Sending more prayers and light for complete healling. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Sending more prayers for a quick recovery. So glad that Rickie is back home again. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Sounds good Mary. I forgot to mention to you when we were talking the other night that Traumeel might really help him. It is a holistic med that has arnica and a bunch of other stuff. I use it whenever there is a lot of bruising or trauma, like after a surgery. You can get it in drops, pill or cream I buy it at a health food store. If you google it you should get the company info and a list of what's in it. Here is the link for the company that makes it Heel

Hugs to you all.

Janet and the gang

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest RooRoo

Thanks for the detailed update Mary. You are doing a great job - right on the ball with staying in tune to it all, diligent with his care and being cautious by going back to the dr's when you aren't sure. good for you ;)

Rizzo insisted on sleeping on his suture side too - the first night he yelped a couple times because the skin was pulling (I think). He tolerated ice packs for 2 days and the swelling did subside quite a bit. I'm sorry Rickie doesn't tolerate this so well :(

I hope you will like the Comfy Cone... While waiting for the cone to arrive, I tried t-shirts of all shapes, sizes and material and Rizzo licked them sopping wet and in 2 cases ripped them off. The cone was the only thing that stopped him. It's best not to have anything touching the site anyway, even if it's soft material.

Sounds like the healing is moving forward and taking :thumbs-up . But don't get distressed if some parts don't take as fast or as well right away. For 2 weeks we had 2 "dead" parts that we were waiting to "turn the corner" and finally they did. I know you know this and it can't be stressed enough - it has to be completely untouched at all costs. You will feel badly about the cone but in the end it is worth any future damage to the site, the integrity of the site just cannot be compromised. hang in there, the days will pass, one better than the next.

I'm so glad Rickie has his appetite and his spunk - this is soooo important! :yay

:hope :hope :hope for a great report tomorrow. The power of positive thinking for Rickie man!!!!!!

Get some rest :sleepy

I'm so glad Rickie is home where he feels most comfortable. More prayers that he heals quickly.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I called the hospital with a question about the Tramadol dose, and the intern volunteered that the pathology report was in and the margins are CLEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tears won't stop, of relief this time.

We have an appointment for the staples to come out next Thursday afternoon, and I won't allow myself to really believe the news til the surgeon confirms it, but still.

Rickie is healing - he is starting to play, a good sign. We won't relax the care and safety routine until we are given new instructions next week, but for now, things are good. No, they are GREAT!

It is so good to be able to share a happy update - thank you all for your support when it was tough-going.

That is fabulous news. Give Rickie some scritchies from us, please.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Clean Margins = YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :yay

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.