Worms! Warning Graphic Picture Of Poop

We just adopted Pixie last night. I was sitting in the yard with Callie and Pixie about 15 minutes ago and Pixie finally did her first poop. She HAS WORMS!!! :eek

She is painfully skinny and her foster mom said she hadn't been eating for awhile!

What kind of worms are these and what do I do so that our other dogs and cats don't catch them? She will be off the vet tomorrow. :(

000_0262.jpg

Edited by brindlebaby

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest VanillaBean

Those look like tape worms. VERY easy to get rid of. Dose one pill, wait 2 weeks then one pill again. GONE!!!

Gross huh? OH my understanding is that the other dogs won't get these by being in contact with them. Needs the intermediate host, which is a flea. My last foster had them. One pill, they were gone and she gained weight beautifully.

Those look like tape worms. VERY easy to get rid of. Dose one pill, wait 2 weeks then one pill again. GONE!!!

Gross huh? OH my understanding is that the other dogs won't get these by being in contact with them. Needs the intermediate host, which is a flea. My last foster had them. One pill, they were gone and she gained weight beautifully.

Oh wow, thank you VanillaBean, you've eased my mind!

Gross indeed! I am not feeling too good myself right now and almost fainted! :sick

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Guest LazyBones

i'm thinking they may be hookworms.

when we had chyna, she came to us with hooks, and that's kinda what they looked like. fortunately, because gumby and pokey were on heartgard, which also protects against these nasties, they had some protection.

Doesn't that also mean you should flea-treat the new dog? Nice picture. :puke It always cracks me up when photos like that turn up in the little gallery images! :lol:

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

Thats nothing compared to the pile of worms that Nevada expelled the day before her spay. :puke I freaked & the Vets office just laughed. :lol I forget what we gave her, it was 15 years ago. But she was fine & I didn't end up with worms either......... :rolleyes:

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Those look like tape worms.

They are flat at the end and move around like they are waving at you, if that helps. :blush

She lived with another grey in her foster home, I wonder if that means she also may have them?

Guest VanillaBean

when we had chyna, she came to us with hooks, and that's kinda what they looked like. fortunately, because gumby and pokey were on heartgard, which also protects against these nasties, they had some protection.

I thought hookworms were too small to see? Will have to google that!

Guest VanillaBean

OK, this is what I found about Hookworms:

The adult worms are small, ½ to ¾ inches long, and are rarely detected in the stool because of their size and ability to firmly attach themselves to the intestinal wall.

So, hopefully they are just tapes and you will get rid of them quick!!!

Those are just run of the mill tape worm segments.

Easy to treat, easy to cure!

Hooks don't show on the outside.. you know your dog has them because of soft stool and a sample is checked by the Vet.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Guest VanillaBean
Those look like tape worms.

They are flat at the end and move around like they are waving at you, if that helps. :blush

She lived with another grey in her foster home, I wonder if that means she also may have them?

OH Yes, the WAVE! Those are tape for sure! Also can be described as looking like a long grain piece of rice. My foster dogs tape waved at me too! Creeped me out beyond belief! I called up the president and told her I had visions of worms in my head and get me some medicine quick!

yep looks like tapes to me - same as what our first one Shadow had from ingesting a flea. Did not have to dose the rest of the holigans but did watch their poop and we had no more

It is better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all

Missing my Big Blue eyed Bear

Heavens, we're going through the same thing with our puppy!

I saw one of those things waving at me just yesterday! It looked like it had a mouth that was opening and closing. Perry has confirmed tapes, rounds, and a few giardia cysts. Even though I saw "the thing" waving at me yesterday and I'm still totally creeped out-- and it takes a lot to creep me out.

Hooks are very very thin. They're considered to be not visible although my vet said it *could* be a loose hook. They're also very hard to test for; there are a lot of false negatives. Just make believe the hooks are there and treat with Panacur; it's very safe. Then do a one-time pill for the tapes -- or vice versa.

I've been told and have read that tapes are actually the most benign of worms to have. Well, yuck anyway! :yuck

Marcia

Edited for grammar. These parasites gross me out and I'm just not thinking straight!

Edited by MZH

Yep, they look like tapeworms to me, too. I've been spared that joy with the hounds, but I had a cat that used to get them from time to time (different species, though). He would get them from the critters he hunted - actually their fleas.

Edited by MarcR

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Oh, yeah, Kim, those are tapeworm segments. If you think those are gross, you should see the actual adult tapeworm. It looks almost like a tapemeasure, hence the name, I guess. I was going to tell you about a lovely experience I once had with an adult tape and one of my cats, but I think nothing would be accomplished by grossing everyone out. I'll just let you think of your own visual! And yes, the hookworms are as fine as a hair. And the roundworms (which most puppies have) look like spagetti! I guess I'm determined to gross someone out---sorry. It's just that I worked for a vet for 10 years, and an animal shelter for 20, so not much fazes me.

You have to get rid of the fleas to get rid of the tapes, because if there are any fleas left and she ingests one, that will start the tapeworm cycle all over again. But that's all it takes. That, and some Droncit.

Good luck!

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Guest longdogs

One for your bedside table. In a tasteful frame of course.

It would be nice if all problems were as easy to deal with as a few intestinal worms. You should use a wide spectrum wormer like Drontal because there may well be other, less visible, nasties.

Guest MAXNAV

One dumb question...I guess. Aren't these greys given worming meds when they come off the track and taken in by rescue? If not, shouldn't they automatically deworm them, especially if they may have the type of worms that can put other fosters or owners dogs at risk? The rescue I dealt with (non-grey), deworming was part of the vet check-up and shots, etc. just to protect the other rescued pups.

Also, wouldn't the foster mom have seen the worms before adopting the dog out? I guess not, if the dogs were let out in a fenced area. I walk mine, so I guess I'd have an advantage over those that don't have to walk theirs.

EWWWWW

[They are flat at the end and move around like they are waving at you, if that helps. :blush

LOL! Actually it does help. The only worms I've seen that stand up & say "Howdy" are tapeworms, plus they are flat. The other dog in the foster home may not have them. Dogs get them from eating an infected flea. Any formerly flea infested foster of any breed that came through our doors has had them. Stop at any pet store or livestock supply place & get some Tradewinds Tape Worm Tabs or other treatment with Praziquantel as the active ingredient. One dose is all you need.

Guest longdogs
One dumb question...I guess. Aren't these greys given worming meds when they come off the track and taken in by rescue? If not, shouldn't they automatically deworm them, especially if they may have the type of worms that can put other fosters or owners dogs at risk? The rescue I dealt with (non-grey), deworming was part of the vet check-up and shots, etc. just to protect the other rescued pups.

Also, wouldn't the foster mom have seen the worms before adopting the dog out? I guess not, if the dogs were let out in a fenced area. I walk mine, so I guess I'd have an advantage over those that don't have to walk theirs.

EWWWWW

Even if properly dewormed they can easily pick up worms again afterwards. If your dog spends time where other dogs have been it will need regular deworming. Some people do this monthly in conjunction with heartworm treatment, others use a wormer every few months. Remember most worms aren't visible in poop, it just contains their eggs. Tapeworms have their eggs in shed body segments which is why there is something you can easily see.

Guest MAXNAV

EWWWWW

Even if properly dewormed they can easily pick up worms again afterwards. If your dog spends time where other dogs have been it will need regular deworming. Some people do this monthly in conjunction with heartworm treatment, others use a wormer every few months. Remember most worms aren't visible in poop, it just contains their eggs. Tapeworms have their eggs in shed body segments which is why there is something you can easily see.

AHHHH. Thanks for info. Actually, that's why I hate when dopey people let their dogs run (not on leash), and I don't know who's dog left a 'pile' in my yard, (even though they've got their own 1+ acre lots). Luckily my dogs haven't ever had a problem, but the vet checks at least 1x year to be sure.

Thanks again,

Doreen & Navigator

By the size of the tapeworms she has had them awhile. We do not treat for tapeworms unless we see them or the vet picks it up with a poop exam before they are big enought to be seem.

Worms are to dogs as colds are to people.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EmbersDad

glad i found this thread. ember now has tapeworm. looks just the same as your poo pic. kinda like rice. nicky the beagle was just wormed with panacur for his hookworm, im sure he has a tapeworm as well. ember goes in for her followup visit tomorrow for her swollen knuckle and she is going to get a droncit shot to deal with it. im thinking i should have nicky dosed too.