Dog Vs. Human Meds?

It seems like some meds are very similar for animals and humans. Am I crazy? Antibiotics - for example - Sobe had (don't remember the name) antibiotic, and DD recently had Amoxicilin (sp?). Is there really a differece?

(not that I'm going to give DD dog meds or anything....just curious)

Guest KRKWMU

We get quite a few of Bonnie's chemo medications at our local Sam's Club. No difference in the actual pills, just "DOG" written on the label and it doesn't get submitted to our health insurance! ;) Darn.

I think some meds are exactly the same, and others aren't available. Must just depend on what the vet prescribes.

I have personally taken meds that were prescribed for dogs over the years. If in doubt get it filled at Sam's etc. under "Buck dog Jones" etc. Many human meds are way cheaper than the dog ones. Metacam is a good example. Also Augmentin and generic Keflex.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

Me and Frank have traded antibiotics a few times; he's used my keflex and I have used his, same meds, jut make sure to check the dosage. I know I can get most of my antibiotic scripts for less than $5 with my insurance, and his might cost $30 to $40 for the same thing.

Blood pressure meds. are the same for JD, a 'Tzu, as they would be for a person. I get his meds. at CVS and they match the Walmart price if asked.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest FoxNPeggysMom

The meds are exactly the same! Only difference is that there are some meds that are not approved for human use but are approved for vetinary use, and vice versa. But if the drugs have the same name then there is no difference.

Guest KennelMom

No difference...we've used human pharmacies several times - usually for maintenance meds b/c our vet is so far away. Tramadol is another human/dog drug.

Guest md7nd

please be careful what you say, taking some(one) prescribed drug is illegal, doesnt matter if its a husband, sons, whoever. You can always look up a drug and see, but I wouldnt recommend taking any drug unless its prescribed to you, no matter if you have taken it before. B)

I had a cat with an overactive thyroid and we had the prescription filled at CVS under "Miss Kitty Moon" :)

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Target fills Patrick's tramadol scripts for 1/2 what the vet charges; generally if it's available as a human medicine it's cheaper to use a pharmacy.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

please be careful what you say, taking some(one) prescribed drug is illegal, doesnt matter if its a husband, sons, whoever. You can always look up a drug and see, but I wouldnt recommend taking any drug unless its prescribed to you, no matter if you have taken it before. B)

Oh my goodness. Where does busting people for taking their dogs meds when they've stand on the big list of police matters? How does one report it in all seriousness? "911...my neighbor took a dose of her dogs Keflex!"

Pam who currently has in her cabinet:

Mexican Augmentin (in case of a dog bite)

Mexican Meloxicam .05 a pill

Mexican asthma inhalers-- just like my doctor gave me before Al Gore decided that inhalers caused global warming and they went from $6 to $64. Three for $6 in Mexico made in Chile by SmithKline

Mexican Keflex

The Keflex and Meloxicam (Metacam) do double duty for dog and human. My vet knows it and helped me work out the Meloxicm dose as its a pill.

I will tell you that NONE of these particular bottles of medicine were prescribed for me, however all have been prescribed for me in the past. I can also tell you that without them (especially the inhalers) I would be dead.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Most of the time there is no difference. Carl's Amoxicillin & Flagyl are the same as what is prescribed for humans. When he was on Clomicalm it was $$$$, I did little research and the vet switched him to the human version, clomipramine hydrochloride, and it was $. When he needed Valium, it's exactly the same as the human version.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Cash is taking Alprazolam which is generic Xanax - same anxiety pill as for people. We get it at the Safeway pharmacy under her name, it just says (K9) after it. I even have to have the required pharmacist consult because it's a controlled substance.

Her prescription cost with their vet discount is $9.99. The one time the DH picked it up they made a mistake and charged him the people price - $38.99. Even if I'd been able to get it under our drug/health care plan our co-pay is $15 per prescription. I wonder if they'd believe a dog is on birth control pills!!!! :rolleyes::lol

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly