Mjp's Jackie

BluegrassGrey

On 6/7/2007, Shamrock Greyhound Placement was notified that a Greyhound had been picked up as a stray in a nearby County. The dog – we discovered – had been turned over to the county Humane Society.

After some investigation, I contacted the shelter on Monday morning (everything was closed up for the weekend until Monday) & inquired about the dog. Indeed they had a Greyhound & they confirmed she had tattoos. From the numbers they gave us she was 11yo. We offered to take the dog, but they said they had to hold her until Thursday, as she was a stray. The shelter director told us she had 2 “masses’ – one on her head & one on her side, that her nails were way overgrown, and she was very underweight. Since they first obtained her, no one had called, or dropped by, about a missing Greyhound in the time the dog had been there. (and the person that originally found her wandering the streets in a nice neighborhood in 95F degree KY heat, said they had went door to door in that neighborhood looking for the owner, and no one recognized the dog) Because of their concern for the dog they agreed to release her to us on Wednesday.

I went to the shelter that Wednesday morning (6/11/2008) to collect the dog & get her to the Shamrock Greyhound Placement vet. I called Jennifer with the girl’s tattoos. Jennifer looked her up & she was: MJPs Jackie born 6.12.97. I tried some different names in the car while we drove 2 hours together to the vet, but her head turned and ears perked up to only one name- Jackie.

I dropped her at the vet to be examined. The vet called Jennifer that afternoon & confirmed what we suspected. Jackie has Osteosarcoma in her ribcage. The xray shows it has already spread to her lungs.

(above background edited as originally written by ripley488 (Jennifer- Shamrock Director)

Everyone knew Jackie did not have very long, but I brought her home with me so she could have a few good last days or weeks- ultimately she only had one week with us- and passed on 6.20.2008. Her breathing had just been very labored the whole week, she was panting most of the time, and her heart rate was nearly twice the normal rate. It was time.

My local vet after hearing her story, had offered to come to our home to help Jackie on. We all felt that a 1 hour car ride to the Shamrock vet was not the way we wanted Jackie to leave us. Jackie passed away very peacefully, resting on our couch (where she had spent most of the week with us). She was surrounded by myself, my husband, and the 3 boys: Perry, Sidney, and Pistol. I sat right by Jackie’s side the whole time, stroking her fuzzy little neck, and Pistol stood next to me with his head in my lap.

It was extremely upsetting for me...... The vet even asked, so “How long have you had her?” My response, “Only 1 week, and I am already so attached to her.”

I was upset, and I am still upset at a lot of things. I just can’t believe that her owner had set her loose in the heat, in her condition. How cruel! Then she had to stay in the shelter for 4 days- they were good to her, but she needed to be on a couch.

But I was determined to try to make up for all of this…….. and below is more about Jackie's week with us........

Jackie ate her first dinner home with us while resting on the couch

JackieDinner.JPG

Jackie taking a dip in the pool

Jackie_Pool.JPG

Jackie did not know what to do with the treats from the local dog bakery. These were for a belated celebration of her 11th birthday.

Jackie_Bakery_Goodies.JPG

But she finally figured it out, and I think they were the best dog treats she had in her whole life.

Jackie_Eating.JPG

Jackie had 3 boyfriends- here she is with her senior boys- Perry and Pistol. When she had first walked into the house and saw the Greys, she was so excited, as if she had not seen another Greyhound in 10 years (which she probably did not- there are not a lot of Greyhounds in the area she was found in)

Jackie_and_her_Boyfriends.JPG

Jackie was able to go on two last walks with the boys- thanks to a very good friend of mine who helps me walk the dogs. It was that Wednesday when I had arranged for the vet to come over on Friday. That evening, unusually cool for KY Summer weather, there were severe thunderstorm threats, but the rain held off- there was just a light sprinkle coming down. At the end of the walk, we saw a rainbow come out. I knew it was the right decision, even though I did not want to be right. I don’t think I have seen one rainbow in the 6 years I have lived in KY, and I would’ve thought I was delirious, if my friend had not been the one to point it out to me.

I remember, and smile at these little bursts of excitement that my husband and I got to share with her- I wasn’t go to bring her on that last walk (wasn’t sure she wanted to, and was afraid to), but as I was leashing the boys and getting them out the door, Jackie burst up off the couch, and nearly got loose out the front door! She made it pretty clear she was going on that walk, and she did, trying to push in front of the boys most of the time.

Another time, my husband (who works 2nd shift and so was Jackie’s caretaker during the days) saw her trot around in the back yard with the boys. Jackie also sprung off the couch at midnight to greet him at the door when he came home from work one night.

JackieResting.JPG

And it is true- I miss her, I want her back, it wasn’t enough time with her, and, yes, it was only a week, and she was just my foster- but it was not long enough together, and it doesn't matter.

Jackie_Happy.JPG

Edited by BluegrassGrey

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BradyzMommy

whether it's a week, 24 months or 15 years, it is NEVER enough time. Thank you for giving her peace in her final week. i am sure she is smiling down on you and remembering you with love. :grouphug:grouphug

Guest boondog

Run free, baby girl. I'm very sorry you only had one week with her. I'm just glad her last week was so wonderful. Bless you for helping this girl in need. She got to experience true love. :grouphug

:cry1 It sounds like you were the best thing that ever happened to Jackie :grouphug:f_white

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest ishapespace

So sorry. At least she had a few greyt days in the end. So kind of you to take her into your life and home even if just for such a brief time.

Look how you changed her life though in that one week...tears flowing...can't type now.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Carla

Oh my God, what a sad story.

Thank you for all you did for Jackie. You gave her love when she needed it the most.

:f_pink :f_pink Godspeed Jackie. :f_pink :f_pink

Hugs for you.

What a wonderful gift you gave to Jackie during her last days.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Jackie will always be in your heart & watching over you. I'm so sorry for your loss. She was beautiful. Godspeed Jackie! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest Greyglo

I'm at work and a crying mess. First, thoughts are with you for your loss. Your pictures of Jackie are beautiful; thank you for sharing them and her story.

:f_pink

Guest jettcricket

What a pretty girl and such a lucky girl to have had you come into her life and give her the best last days...surrounded by love. The world needs more people like you...bless you for caring. :f_pink

Guest whatahound

You gave her a wonderful week. I believe that dogs live in the moment and hopefullly thats all she knew was your loving care. I am so sorry for your loss, I know first hand how quickly we get attached.

Hugs to you, Godspeed Beautiful Jackie......

:f_pink

No matter how long they stay, they never stay long enough.

G-d wanted her to be in a place where she was loved at the end of her life. Bless you for giving this sweet girl peace.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Well, that was a whole box of kleenex for me, and I never even met her. Except through your very vivid and touching words. I'm so sorry she didn't have longer for you to spoil her.

Godspeed, pretty girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest vahoundlover

:cry1 God sent her to you, he knew you would give her the love and dignity she deserved. Thank you for making her last week such a good one. :grouphug

Godspeed Sweet Baby Girl, :f_pink

Her week with you is what she'll remember and it sounds like it was the best one ever. I'm sorry you only had a short time with her. It's amazing how quickly they melt our hearts.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest twilliams

Bless you. You did something truly special for a beautiful, sweet girl. I am sorry for your sadness and so glad you were there to help Jackie.

:weep:grouphug

I am in tears reading this.

Bless you for everything that you and your husband did to make beautiful Jackie's last bit of time on this earth a happy, comfortable time. Jackie finally felt what it was like to be truly loved, and she went peacefully, surrounded by those that loved her. No one can ask for more than that.

You are a very, very special person.

:f_pink:f_pink

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France