Joplin Update

Guest LynnM

Guest LynnM

Right now, the vet thinks he has Tick Paralysis and probably also a case of either Ehrlichia or Babesia. The tick paralysis is quite interesting. It's from a toxin in a tick's saliva, rather than from an organism (like with the more common TBD's). We only found a couple of ticks on him, between his toes, but it literally only takes one. While he will be off his feet for a few days, once the tick is removed- and we went over him with flea combs multiple times this afternoon- the paralysis will reverse. In a few cases, the paralysis can go far enough up the body to interfere with breathing and swallowing, but this is rare, especially since he's been completely de-ticked. Many, many species of ticks can cause it and those species are found all over the USA and elsewhere (the most severe cases seem to happen in Australia). This is also something that can and does happen to people.

On the TBD front, his platelet count stunk! It was only 45! We had quite the search on the blood smear to find a few.

He still doesn't have much of an appetite, and is only interested in Milk Bones. One cannot live on Milk Bones alone... or at least one does not want to be anywhere near a dog that has eaten a meal's worth of Milk Bones. Hopefully a bit of prednisone over the next few days will give him some munchies.

So, the old man is resting comfortably, has had some meds (my wonderful vet says he's suffering from an acute doxycycline deficiency, LOL) and I'm going to spend the rest of the night vaccuuming, spraying and doing everything short of setting my house on fire to make sure that there are no ticks ANYWHERE!

Lynn

Fingers crossed! Toes not crossed because that's where the evil beasties were hiding (*urp* - hate when they do that) ..... I would suggest trying some scrambled eggs but on top of the Milk Bones, that might drive you all to drink.

Hope the doxy and a little pred do the trick for him.

And good luck with the $#&^% ticks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LynnM

Just got 1/2 a can of Iam's puppy canned in him... that's the best he's done all day aside from about 10 Milkbones. The scary thing is that through all this his stools have been perfect.... this from a dog that can and does blow out if the wind blows in a direction that doesn't suit him. Go figure. Thank goodness for small favors!

Lynn

ticks. yuck! :angry: I hope he's on the mend! One thing I found that Sugar will eat when she's not eating (you know what I mean), and I'm embarassed to admit it, is Cesar Canine Cuisine :rolleyes: Of the various grocery store choices I picked it because the ingredients didn't look too horrible and it comes in little cat food size packages, 3 oz?, so I don't have to worry about open cans. I figured it was better for her than Ensure, although she'll get that too if its all she'll eat. I hope you don't need to go to these extremes!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad you and your vet got to the bottom of the problem. I have heard of tick paralysis before. It sounds scary, but at least it is treatable and not permanent, right? Now just to get some groceries in him... Be a good boy and keep eating, OK, Joplin? I am pulling for you!

Guest longdogs

We have 'paralysis ticks' here. The toxin in their saliva is very potent and just a couple of overlooked ticks can lead to serious symptoms, including paralysis and death from respiratory inhibition. Children can be affected as well as pets. The symptoms clear though if caught early enough and it sounds like Joplin is on the mend.

OMG. Tick Paralysis is something I've never heard about. :eek Hopefully the meds will help your old fella bounce back and feel better soon! :getwell:hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Wow, that is a scary diagnosis but at least it is treatable. Ticks are responsible for so many, many health problems. Thank goodness your vet discovered the problem. Many hugs and good thoughts to Joplin for a good appetite and quick recovery! :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hope your sweet boy makes a quick and complete recovery. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest IrskasMom

Glad ,the Vet found the Culprit. Gentle Hugs and some more Prayers for your grumpy old Man. :grouphug:hope

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest LynnM

11AM update. I got home from work and he stood up on his own to greet me. He managed the 2 steps in and out of the house just fine. He tires quickly, but his left leg is coming along. At 2 AM, he was clearly improving, but his left leg would only step up even with his right, rather than also help propel him forward. His temp is down to normal. He does have some nice bruises from both falling and needle sticks. Not having platelets will do that.

He's eaten an entire can of puppy food and we've been cursed with obnoxious Milk Bone gas and poops (feed your dog 10 Milk Bones and see what happens). As long as he's eating, I'm happy with that!

I think we're on the mend. I phoned in our update to the vet and she was quite pleased with his progress.

Lynn

OMG. Tick Paralysis is something I've never heard about. :eek Hopefully the meds will help your old fella bounce back and feel better soon! :getwell:hope

that's what I was thinking...scary! so glad he's already on the mend!!

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest LynnM

8:30 PM update... he spent the last hour laying on a dog bed in the living room. This is his first willing trip outside of his crate. Yesterday after he went down I made him bed down on a dog bed in front of his crate because I couldn't get him out of his crate without pulling/dragging and I didn't want to hurt him. He was not happy about that. He's the most crate-needy dog I've ever known. Once he was able to stand on his own, I let him have his crate back and he's only ventured out to go outside until this afternoon.

When I just took him out, he even trotted for a few steps. He still tires out from a trip outside, but we're making some progress. He's eaten several small meals today, and I think it was probably enough for him to maintain his weight, so hopefully he's done losing and can start putting back on.

I spent my time after work scrubbing, vaccuuming, bathing and spraying, pretty much everything short of burning the house down to ensure that we're critter-proof.

Lynn