Continued Prayers Needed For Jake

This is a copy of the original post after the vet visit in case you didn't see it:

Jake has a very bad infection in his leg. We still don't know how, but he does have some abrasions on the leg. Our vet is mystified, but the leg is swollen, red, hot and scraped plus he has a fever. We have antibiotics, and I will do epson salt soaks on most of his leg since we don't know the actual injury site. If it isn't significantly improved and the fever down by Wednesday he has to go back. Miki will do an x-ray then, although she does not think it is broken. Bottom line is he is a very sick boy.

There is no wound to culture. The red mark on the bone is actually a scar that is usually a light shiney brown. I don't know if the redness is a bruise, or inflamation. His leg is still hot, although he has only had 2 doses of Clavamox. I'm giving him the 3rd after dinner. I'm also doing epsom salt soaks (hot wet towel then putting a bag over it)

I can't find a single scratch on his leg. The only thing I can think of is insect bite, but again can't find one.

Here is his leg. I took the picture Monday night, but it doesn't look much different.

leg.jpg

Wednesday's update -

I used a magnifying glass and can't see a blessed thing.

After 3 doses of Clavamox. his fever is down and the leg less hot. The swelling has spread, but the lumpy part is no bigger.He is weight bearing for balance now, and also to walk from time to time.

Our vet would like him to be using it a bit more, so I made an appointment for an x-ray and a fine needle aspirate on Friday. If he is weight bearing tomorrow and the swelling down, then I will cancel and continue with the antibiotics.

Thursday update -

He is standing on all 4 feet. :D He still hobbles outside on 3, but comes in on 4. Swelling is still there, but he is walking on it.

Dr Couto suggested a fine needle aspirate and no x-ray at this point. He is suggesting as originally thought it is an infection. He asked if his popliteal node is enlarged. Off to google that and find out exactly where it is.

Friday update -

Lots of improvement. Still standing on all 4's and limping slightly. The swelling has decreased and he is back to his normal behaviour. That includes whining a lot at the front door to go for a walk. Sorry Jake, not happening bud!

Edited by foxysmom

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

That looks painful. :( Poor pupper... sending more prayers and light his way. :hope:candle

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

GTer Jordan's grey Jordan has a similar looking area on her rear leg. It felt warm to me. They already know that it's osteo. :(

I hope Jake has a simple boo boo.

I'll steer Jordan (Janet) to this thread although she may be on her way to GIG right now.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest jordan

I would go for an xray. When I first saw Jordan's lump I thought bug bite also, red, warm to the touch. But she was NOT running a fever, so it could very well be some sort of infection, bug bite or something. But I would get an xray to rule out anything else. And if the warm compresses don't seem to help, switch to cold and see if that helps. Hope he's feeling better soon, please keep us updated.

j

Sending more prayers. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Janet try looking "higher" up his body for the wound. Our lymphatic system tends to drain downward with gravity, so he may be seeing the results of an infection higher up. I had this happen to myself several years ago - a lump in my neck was a result of a cut on my scalp.

Prayers for Jake and for you.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

How is he this morning?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh gosh, poor Jake, that looks painful. I hope the swelling subsides and you find out what's causing this. Sending hugs :grouphug and keeping my fingers crossed :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Thursday update -

He is standing on all 4 feet. :D He still hobbles outside on 3, but comes in on 4. Swelling is still there, but he is walking on it.

Dr Couto suggested a fine needle aspirate and no x-ray at this point. He is suggesting as originally thought it is an infection. He asked if his popliteal node is enlarged. Off to google that and find out exactly where it is.

Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Thanks everyone for you prayers and well wishes.

Today's news.

Friday update -

Lots of improvement. :D Still standing on all 4's and limping slightly. The swelling has decreased and he is back to his normal behaviour. That includes whining a lot at the front door to go for a walk. Sorry Jake, not happening bud!

Summer-3bjpg.jpg