Palliative Radiation For Pain.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Yes, it is a bone tumor in the shoulder. Amputation is not an option, but palliative radiation was suggested among other things.

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes
Oh, no - Gus? :unsure

Yes, I sent you a pm... or an email. I can't remember which. I'm just trying to find out our best options for him now - i have list of stuff to research to give him the greatest amount of comfortable time. He's zonked out on some serious stuff, so I want to do it while he is sleeping.

We're shocked. absolutely shocked.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes

Guest HeatherDemps

Sorry that you are dealing with this diagnosis. When Dempsey was diagnosed with cancer I found this website to be a great source of information on treatment options- inclulding palliative radiation.

http://www.bonecancerdogs.org/

Prior to the amputation, we had Dempsey on rimadyl and increasing amounts of Tramodol to help mange the pain. Had we not been able to pursue the surgery, I would have done palliative care also. Best wishes to you.

Heather

No advice, just some gentle hugs and some ear noogies for your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HersheysMom

Kerri, I'm so sorry to hear this! We tried palliative radiation for Star's osteo (also in the shoulder) and didn't have much luck. I wish we had not put her through it, I think it did more harm than good. We had good luck with Tramadol as a pain med it's early stages. Let me get my thoughts together and I'll pm you later tonight with some other things we did with Star to control pain.

Edited by HersheysMom

Oh, geeze, not another one. Wishing you and Gus lots of comfort and pain-free days. :grouphug

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire