Does Milk Do A Dog's Body Good?

Guest Whippet

Guest Whippet

Whippet won't eat much nor drink water. He eats about half a cup of food a day and no water... (see other thread)...

He loves to have a few sips of my glass of milk in the morning but I was wondering if I could give him some, like a bowl or two a day (if he wants it) to at least compensate a little for what he doesn't eat and drink...?

Is it harmful for them? What do you think?

Thanks...

Sophie.

Guest trevdog

Since Whippet just had a major surgery, I'd check with the vet before giving it to him and ask what they recommend. I know when Dallas had surgery to remove her obstruction, they were very specific with what she could eat/drink for 6 weeks. Ask if some pedialyte or maybe some broth added to the water would work. He's probably still a bit uncomfortable.....

Edited to add, Dallas was also on pain meds and stomach upset meds for a week. did he get any of that?

Edited by trevdog

I've been told that dogs have a difficult time digesting cows milk & that it can cause the Big D. On the other hand, it never bothered Nevada & she often enjoyed a small bowl.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Many dogs are essentially lactose intolerant.

You'd probably be better of with a bowl of soup or something. Do you head the food? Dogs are more apt to eat things that smell good. Wet, meat flavored baby food is a good thing to dry (you know, a can of Gerber pureed veal (ick)). Also, nasty, smelly canned cat food might tempt him. Mix a bit in with what you WANT him to eat.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Whippet
When Nevada's appetite was bad, my Vet suggested trying some chicken soup. It worked. It started her wanting to eat again. It's all in the nose...........

Thanks for the great advice...

As for chicken soup, what do you suggest? Home made or canned is fine too? Rice or pasta? hihi!

Sophie.

While milk may be a problem, many people use yogurt as an add-in to their greyhound's food. Properly prepared yogurt has little to no lactose.

With that in mind, if the lactose is the problem, then lactase (the enzyme) can be added- as "LactAid" or whatever it's called- or lactose-free milk would work. Provided the vet agreed, of course.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

chicken broth is good. also small pieces of plain chicken.

oh also one time mine wouldnt drink i put a few sips of vitamin water in it she drank it up. she thought it was something different. Just dont give like 2 whole cups cause of the sugar

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

If he's tolerated milk in the past, it likely won't hurt him now. If I have a dog who won't drink but needs to, I mix a small bowl of 50-50 milk and water and hold it for them to drink. Did it for Joseph after he had his tummy surgery, did it for Batman when he was sick, have done it for our whippet as well. (This assumes your dog doesn't have severe intolerance to milk.)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Poor Whippet... I hope he feels better soon. Concerning the chicken soup, I would always prefer home made stuff. I think pasta is easier to digest

than rice...

--------------------------------------------

user posted imageuser posted image

Marion, Ivy & Soldi

Perseverance is not a long race...

it is many short races one after another.

When Nevada's appetite was bad, my Vet suggested trying some chicken soup. It worked. It started her wanting to eat again. It's all in the nose...........

Thanks for the great advice...

As for chicken soup, what do you suggest? Home made or canned is fine too? Rice or pasta? hihi!

Sophie.

The Vet said that canned was fine. I used Progresso Chicken & Rice. I warmed it up also. I kept her on it for several days & gradually added her regular food back. I still will use the soup if she starts to get pickie.

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest paulamariez

I asked my vet about giving the hounds milk if they're not drinking enough. She said it's fine as long as they can tolerate it without getting an upset stomach or big D. Mixing the milk and water has been a Godsend for Bueller because he just isn't interested in drinking water. I put some water in with his dog food and he'll drink that, but only takes a little drink every now and then from the water dish. And even the chicken soup and broth didn't work for him. He took to it once or twice, especially if it had noodles in it! But I ended up eating more of the soup than he did! I usually do about 1/3 milk to 2/3 water and take the bowl over to him a couple times a day. Picky, spoiled little boy!

Guest Whippet

Whippet is still NOT EATING. :( The only thing he ate today was cheap cookie treats that I give them once in a while (like 3-5 a week) but since it,s the only thing he was interested in, I gave him as many as he wanted, which was like maybe 10.

I tried baby food, I tried chicken broth, I tried sliced shicked for sandwiches, I tried the vet's canned food mixed with chicken broth. I even tried giving him a slice of bread, which he usually steals from my plate if I don't watch him, but he let it fall on the floor.

He just won't eat. :(

I'm so worried!

Sophie.

Guest Winterwish

Is he also not drinking? If that's the case,it really sounds like he may need to be seen by the vet.

I hope Whippet feels better soon! :hope

(we've given any dog we had milk,or milk and water,forever and there never seemed to be a problem.

Unless Whippet has something going on,or some intolerance that developed with the milk,it should be okay.)

Edited by Winterwish

Guest Winterwish

Oh I had no idea Whippet had surgery the other day! Ijust read the other thread,I hadn't realized...

Poor Whippet,and you too! :dogcookie:bighug

How about cooking up some liver?-- very irresistable to dogs in general.

You just put a couple of pieces of livers on an oven tray or piece of tin foil,covered lightly-- otherwise they just become burnt--

They'll cook quickly-- about 15 minutes tops at 300 degrees.

Edited by Winterwish

Guest Whippet
What did the vet say? Not eating after surgery is not good.....

My vet is an excellent vet and his partner is also excellent. I trust them completely... But none of them know what Whippet may have. :( I'm going again next week... Hopefulle, Whippet will improve.

I don't want to force him to eat but... :( I feel so sad for my little boy. I want to find what's wrong with him...

Sophie.

When our kennel kids need to gain weight and don't seem to want to eat, we give them the Vanilla Ensure (or a generic equivalent). It tastes like a melted vanilla shake and has lots of calories. We've never had anyone have any digestive issues from drinking it.

I give my dogs milk probably once a week, they LOVE it! We've not had any problems with it.

I hope Whippet is feeling better soon!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Whippet
Is he on pain medication?

Also,has he been going to the bathroom?

No, and yes.

He still doesn't eat much but he's active and has energy so I guess it's a good sign. He started to drink a bit more too.

Sophie.