Help Gibby

On Saturday Gilbert(fuzzys gladiator) was fine all day..his normal acting younger than 8 years old behavior.

Has been on low dose thyroid for approx 5 months.

His coat his beautiful as is his attitude on life.

He is a St john Ambulance Therapy dog

Sat night he shook terribly during a thunderstorm..even his teeth rattled. This was more extreme behavior for him...he never liked storms but they never had that much affect on him

Sunday I heard nose in the kitchen that sounded like the cat batting a piece of kibble about the floor..went to investigate and found Gibby standing in the dining room looking lost and swaying back and forth, his right paw off the ground and his body leaning more to the left.

I had to get down and hold him up..talked to him softly. Got him into the bedroom and with assistance he got on his fav place, the old futon, and he rested. Still..he had a different look in his face.

Supper time..still wobbly but not as much, he ate a good supper....basically wanted to hang out with me and stick close. Walking as if poor body awareness....right foot taking marching steps.

Poop and pee as normal

5 am..more wobbly.

Won't eat today.

7am...need towel sling to aid walking.. because his back end sways one way while his front end is going another.

We have a Vet appointment in a couple hours.

Just wanted to add, he has not said one word..except with his eyes which speak volumes

Edited by Laur

Sounds like a mild seizure or vestibular disorder.

With the vestibular disorder you might also see his eyes moving quickly side to side. My vet said the initial episode of the disorder can last 20-30 minutes with subsequent episodes lasting longer. Fortunately Oliver did not have a repeat episode. I don't remember if medicine was given, but I know we were to check his temperature and if he overheated to bring him in pronto. It is scary because it looks like the dog's sense of balance is all screwed up. Oliver wanted to go outside but had no idea what to do once he got there.

If it's a mild seizure that's a whole different thing.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Glad to hear that you can get him into the vet right away. My first guess was vestibular disease.

Do a google search on vestibular disease... and even search "vestibular disease drunk walking" There have been some dogs on GT with, so search here as well. If this is the case, a friend our ours had a grey with it and recovered in a bout 2 weeks.

I pray it's nothing serious.

THANK YOU THANKYOU THANK YOU ALL ..... !!!! I googled it and printed off the info on Vestibular disease.

That SO describes my boy...right to the suddenness, no warning

Bless you for giving me HOPE .....

It looks so awful and such an overnight change that one's mind thinks terrible thoughts and senarios...then I read how many dogs are put down who would have recovered....I lost it there .

Guest falconschild

Vestibular syndrome can be a scary scary thing...our Bridge-boy Sly had it at one time...before we went to the vet with him, we were convinced he'd had a stroke and would have to be put to sleep.

When we got him there, Dr. Borden gave him a little Valium to settle him a bit so he could check him out and told us he hadn't had a stroke...he simply had vestibular disorder. He showed us how Sly was "ticking" his eyes one way, then the other. It's a side effect of the dog not being able to find his balance, from what Dr. B told us.

If I recall correctly, Sly had to stay overnight at the vet's but was allowed to come home the following afternoon.

Here's hoping for a similar good outcome for Gilbert.

Have never experienced this but I can only imagine how scary it is. Please keep us posted as to how Gilbert makes out at the vet. Will be thinking about you both for the very best outcome possible.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Most info on the web says the dogs are better within a few days, but our experience has been longer than that. Our friends grey had it and they were ready to put him down because the vet didn't think he was doing well after 2 days... we convinced them to hang in there - jasper recovered and lived until almost 14 years old.. he was 11 when it happened.

Here are the links to his story as I posted them when it was happening

Jasper #1 Vestibular Disease

Jasper #2

Jasper #3

Good luck and sending a ton of prayers.

Back from Vet......... She says that he has had a stroke.

He is blind in his left eye, most likely deaf in his left ear.

He high steps with his front leftt foot..and he drags his back left toes, sways terribly..and needs intervention to stay upright and moving forward. We will have to get a bootie to protect the toes on his left

Fortunately he has muscle control for his limbs, face, bowels and peeing.

Prognosis to be detemined in the next week to 10 days we have been told...hopefully we'll see progress and improvement.

Our other two greys have shown him empathy.

Gilbert is our eldest...but behaved the youngest.....I can only imagine what he is thinking.

Dh and I are utter wrecks.

He ate some supper tonight..as long as I kept my hand in the bowl or at least on the edge.

He is being so darn cooperative and easy going...not a complaint, not a whine. He is so aware that we are there to help him..and he gives an " assistance requested" look that speaks volumes. Hell... I'd buy him a car tonight if he had a look for that too.

He holds his head on an angle so he can see out of his good eye..

His personality is shining through..so we are guardedly optimistic.

Tomorrow I will have to contact the 2 small nursing homes he visits weekly and let them know their pal is on sick leave....

Any reccomendations as to bootie types to protect the foot that drags ?

People can recover some of their lost abilities after a stroke--can dogs improve a little too? Good luck Gilbert! Hopefully he just needs a little time and rest, and can adjust to these new changes.

"Mrs. Bass was a poor teacher, a phrase which here does not mean "a teacher who doesn't have a lot of money" but "a teacher who is obsessed with the metric system." --Lemony Snicket

"Do you want to convert from the hydrocarbon economy to the carbohydrate economy?" --Rep. Jim Oberstar

People can recover some of their lost abilities after a stroke--can dogs improve a little too?

Absolutely. How much improvement depends on the dog & the circumstances. Many hopes that Gilbert improves significantly.

Sending gentlest hugs and prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

that sucks. i had a dog that had a stroke and acupuncture worked wonders :). does your vet offer that?

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

He ate some supper tonight..as long as I kept my hand in the bowl or at least on the edge.

He is being so darn cooperative and easy going...not a complaint, not a whine. He is so aware that we are there to help him..and he gives an " assistance requested" look that speaks volumes. Hell... I'd buy him a car tonight if he had a look for that too.

Tomorrow I will have to contact the 2 small nursing homes he visits weekly and let them know their pal is on sick leave....

I notice that you are in Canada. I am in Ontario. I have come older Mutt Luk boots that I would be happy to send you a couple that aren't won out. PM me if you are interested, so this way you don't have go out and buy a new set.

Is the vet 100& sure it was a stroke - because Jasper also had the head tilt, the marching leg lift and dragging back leg.

Sending prayers for your boy.

Check with your vet. If there's a chance he might recover in that foot, don't cover it because a bootie will not provide him any feedback, which he'll need to develop new connections.

Sending lots of prayers for you and Gibby. :grouphug:hope

Aero: http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?d=kees+uncatchable; our bridge angel (1/04/02-8/2/07) Snickers; our bridge angel (1/04/02-2/29/08) Cricket; Kanga Roo: oops girl 5/26/07; Doctor Thunder http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?z=P_31Oj&a...&birthland=

Hobbes had a mild stroke last August. He had trouble walking at first and "knuckled" his back feet under. Placed on a regime of Prednisone daily (with Pepcid for his stomach), he gradually improved week by week. He still has wobbly back legs but considering his age (almost 14), it is a miracle to us. I don't know what treatment is planned for your boy, but I wish him improving health. Gilbert certainly has a lot of love coming from you to help him thru this.

:grouphug :grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Gibby had a pretty good night once we clued in he wanted the light left on and he prefers to sleep with us with his paw making human contact.

Not a problem..Operation Whatever -Gibby -Wants-Gibby-Gets mode is up and running well.

He amazes us with his ability to adapt to his visual deficit..when we see what he his doing and why, we'll pitch in to assist him.

We've clipped a bell on the collar of his greyhound sister Miss Judi as she tends to be a bit pushy when it comes to wanting the best beds....she also stands in the way and stares until the boys get the idea and move....

Besides the left eye and hearing in the left ear..the left ear doesn't stand up like it used to.

The vet has prescribed Metacam....he has not had any yet as he hadn't until recently kept his food down.

Anything I should watch out for ?

Gibby sounds like he is adjusting to his new physical limitations. He is a trooper and you are doing such a wonderful job of caring for him. We've had our dogs on Metacam without any difficulty. It has anti-inflammatory properties and has made them more comfortable when they are feeling discomfort. I can't speak for everyone but our experience has been good.

Hugs to you and Gibby.

:grouphug

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy