Random Screams

Buck started last night just screaming out for no reason. He has done it while taking treats and while lying in his bed. He woke me up twice in the night from his bed. I have gone over every inch of him many times to no avail and he is not limping. I started him on Metacam as I have it on hnd, but any idea what it might be? Of course I'm worried it might be osteo so if that could be a cause let me know. My vet is really open to discussion so if I could have some ideas that would be great.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

From his bed + no limping sure sounds like a neck/back thing. When whippet had a strain there, even the slightest movement in a certain way hurt him and he would cry out.

Hope that's "all" it is, and that it's easily resolved.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Whippet had ?3? incidents but hasn't had a problem in @ 2 years. So, not allowed to worry in advance. Easy for me to say, eh?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest GreytMuse

No wisdom to offer, Pam, sorry. Only hugs and good wishes for you and Buck as you look for an answer. :grouphug Please keep us updated.

I was going t say neck/back, too...hopefully, he just overdid something and some anti-inflammatory and pain meds will fix him right up :hope

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Winterwish

I'm sorry to hear something's making Buck so uncomfortable Pam. Maybe some kind of back or sustained muscle spasm? Sending good thoughts out for you and Buck! :dogcookie:bighug

Guest Winterwish
Sounds like neck/back to me too. As someone with back problems, I know that the slightest wrong move can send you from fine to stabbibg pain (then back to fine :rolleyes: ) If that's it, the metacam should help. :candle that's all it is

you know what? I felt the sameway when I read about good boy Buck and my back.

If it's a back spasm of some kind-- very painful! -- you just scream out.

:hope for Buck.

Have you given his ears a good check? An ear infection can be very painful.

Hope that it is nothing serious.

Carol Ann

Edited by cello

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

We're going through this right now with Diamond. Rhymadil and steroid shots didn't help. She had clear, perfect X-Rays, though, so our vet has ruled out osteo. She's seeing a holistic vet on Wednesday to get a second opinion on the X-Rays and to see if acupuncture would help.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest greyvettech

Sounds to me like a hurt neck or back...the vet will probably manipulate her neck and back to find out which one or both and if so he'll/she'll probably put her on Medrol and Valium.....and rest!

Guest Silver

Random screaming?......

My poodle did that before. She would yep randomly. She had a brain tumor and we had to put her down.

What him carefully. If he looks like he's drunk while walking then it really could possibly be a tumor. It could also be that inner ear thing.

If it's possible, get him a cat scan.

Edited by Silver

Guest DaffyToons

My Shadow will wake up in the middle of the night screaming. But he will get up and come over to me, still screaming, because one of his legs has a muscle spasm in it. It is usually in his hind leg, and he holds it up, not putting any weight on it. His thigh muscle of the affected leg is usually bulging and hard as a rock. Not sure of what this could be. My vet wants to do some blood work on his potassium levels and such.

Anyhow, many prayers going out for you and your guy!

Folks have already mentioned the things that came to my mind first, neck, back or ear problems. We've had them all here, including me. My spaniel mix was doing this & though not limping you could see some hesitation getting onto the sofa, a jump for her. Got worse for several days before we got her in. Vet did an adjustment & aquapuncture with a diluted Adequan mixture. That evening she was worse & really scared me. The next morning she was 100% & never had another problem. Hope it is something as simple for yours.

Neck is what I was thinking too. Larry all of a sudden started screaming. I too did the head to toe check and couldn't find anything. I got a treat and accidentally dropped it. He started to bend his neck to reach the treat on the floor and then abruptly stopped. He must have had a muscle strain/spasm. A couple days of buffered aspirin and no running in the yard and he was just fine. I hope Buck is better soon!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

I'm also thinking neck, or maybe back. A treat on the floor is a good test.

Renie's had a couple of bouts of neck pain and picking things up off the floor is usually a give-away. In her case she also refuses RMBs, because the hard chewing hurts her. She does the random squeaking too, and also goes a little off her food.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Pinched nerve? Kramer would go through boughts of random pain around the neck area. They'd pass in a day or two.

I assume you're on the way to the vet, and people randomly guessing is not of a lot of value--but I'm sure everyone sends good wishes that it turns out to be just one of those things.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck