Carrier In Emerg

Carrier seems to be getting a little better every day. Yesterday he slept most of the morning and then he woke up, stood up and burped... I thought he was going to have a similar day like the one before, where he was burping quite a bit, (some pepcid helped that), but instead he totally surprised me... he came bounding at me, play bowed and then started playing with his toy Lambie. I couldn't believe it. And then when Tim came home he came over to say hello on the couch and started a Roo with the other three. I was so happy when he played with toy I cried... I didn't know if we were ever going to see that again considering what he went through last week. He still not out of the woods - there is something going on with heart but we aren't 100% sure what it is. The cardiologist at the Mississauga clinic says that his heart isn't consistent with a chemo heart as opposed to what OSU has told us - (it's very confusing and also stressful getting mixed diagnosis - but OSU and Mississauga and our local vet are working together.) So we don't know if that is good or bad, but seeing him play and eat and rest comfortably, we are not going to stress. We have made sure that his environment has been calm , quiet and comfortable... making sure he is healing and resting. He has a follow up check up with blood work and chest xrays this Thursday in Mississauga. And the cardiologist wants to do a follow up ultrasound of his heart in 4 months... so that too is good news, since that is a way off.

Please send good thoughts as I am on my own until Thursday evening with Tim in Pennsylvania for work.

eva, tim, carrier and of course the other three stinkers ;)

---Greytlady94

Carrier was on Coreg and was taken off as they suspected this was one of the drugs that was causing him this problem. He hasn't been on it for a week. The other drug that he was on was sulfa antibiotic (trimethsulpha something or other). Currently he is only on Lasix (Furosemide) and Enalapril.

Edited by LadyBailey

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:yay:yay:confetti:confetti:clap:clap We are so Happy to hear that Courier is feeeling better and it sounds like you may also be feeling better. We pray everything continues to go well and especially until Tim Returns from PA...... :bighug:bighug

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

4:00pm

he just had an episode - laying down, he was whining for me to come to him, so I sat and rubbed him and then he lifted his head and it was shaking. I would describe it as if he had parkinsons. it last about 10 seconds and then it just stopped and he looked at me and fell asleep. I have a call into the vet. damn it.

That parkinsons movement you described is exactly how I used to describe Maddisons head tremors.

I hope he's OK :grouphug

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

this is strange. it happens at the same time every time it does happen... around 3:45-4:00pm. When it happened I checked his gums and they were pink and he was responding to me. Then afterwards he whines a little and is comforted by a rub. Falls asleep. he gets cold, shivers and I cover him. After about an hour, he seems to fine. I asked him at 5 if he wanted his dinner and his eyes light up. He jumped for it and ate it as quickly as possible.

I spoke to the vet but she said if he is acting normal then just to watch him. Which he is acting normal other than that.

I wonder if hunger is the factor here? he eats at 7:30 am, gets his meds and then gets dinner between 5:30 and 6:00pm.

Bev - what did it end up being with Maddison?

this is strange. it happens at the same time every time it does happen... around 3:45-4:00pm. When it happened I checked his gums and they were pink and he was responding to me. Then afterwards he whines a little and is comforted by a rub. Falls asleep. he gets cold, shivers and I cover him. After about an hour, he seems to fine. I asked him at 5 if he wanted his dinner and his eyes light up. He jumped for it and ate it as quickly as possible.

I spoke to the vet but she said if he is acting normal then just to watch him. Which he is acting normal other than that.

I wonder if hunger is the factor here? he eats at 7:30 am, gets his meds and then gets dinner between 5:30 and 6:00pm.

Bev - what did it end up being with Maddison?

He saw a neurologist and the diagnosis was idiopathic epilepsy. Do you want me to dig out a video clip?

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

He saw a neurologist and the diagnosis was idiopathic epilepsy. Do you want me to dig out a video clip?

Did he ever collapse like Carrier did last week? Or maybe we are dealing with two different things... oh god, I don't know how much more this sweet boy can take.

We are on dial up, but sure I'll download the video clip.

thanks Bev.

No, he never did anything other than have the tremor. Ironically, he did go on to have bone cancer though (fibroscarcoma). Hmm.

Anyway, I'll just go and find the clips for you...

This one is a minute long and he was roaching http://www.my-shops.net/videos/maddisontremor280104.wmv

This is about 43 seconds long and you can see that the tremor seems more pronounced but also, he could be 'distracted' from it for a short period if something (cat or toy for example) caught his attention http://www.my-shops.net/videos/maddiheadtremormuted.wmv

he also seems to be having trouble doing a full on complete yawn. you when they yawn but stop short of a full wide open mouth yawn? well that's what he has been doing for about a week now but I totally forgot to mention this to the vet.

Now...I think Maddison used to yawn quite often during his episodes (you may see a yawn or two in the videos). I do think something was mentioned about this but to be perfectly honest, I can't remember the details :blush

he also seems to be having trouble doing a full on complete yawn. you when they yawn but stop short of a full wide open mouth yawn? well that's what he has been doing for about a week now but I totally forgot to mention this to the vet.

Do you have a chiropractor nearby that could adjust him? His little shaking episodes sound a lot like small seizures, and if he is having trouble doing the full yawn that could, IMO, be indicative of a pinched nerve or something that needs to be straightened out. If he is out of alignment that can also cause his seizure like activity. The seizures could be causing his muscles to tense, thus causing the tension in his jaw, or, maybe he's just out of alignment and that's causing the tension AND the seizures.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

:lol

I'm off to bed now but will check in again in the morning.

Hope you have a decent night :grouphug

Do you have a chiropractor nearby that could adjust him? His little shaking episodes sound a lot like small seizures, and if he is having trouble doing the full yawn that could, IMO, be indicative of a pinched nerve or something that needs to be straightened out. If he is out of alignment that can also cause his seizure like activity. The seizures could be causing his muscles to tense, thus causing the tension in his jaw, or, maybe he's just out of alignment and that's causing the tension AND the seizures.

Bloody hell... Carrier had an adjustment on Monday afternoon last week and on Tuesday afternoon is when this all started. I have left a message for the chiropractor.

Or, given that information, perhaps the adjustment made him tense up a little and he's in need of another? Good idea to get him looked at on that front. Keeping your handsome boy in my thoughts...

I also wondered, separately, since you mentioned his episodes seem to happen the same time of day, if it has any correlation with his blood sugar since he hasn't eaten since 7:30 (which I don't find unreasonable at all but maybe he needs more food in his belly while he's recovering?)

Also separately but possibly related, you mentioned he's hungry as heck after his episodes. If they are seizures that's not uncommon as seizures can cause the blood sugar to drop. Try feeding him some Breyers vanilla ice cream or some PB directly after his episode to help with that...

Again, it's the chicken or the egg thing...is his blood sugar dipping and thus CAUSING the seizures, or is his blood sugar low as a RESULT of the seizures?

Best of luck to you...let us know what you find out from the chiro :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--