Carrier In Emerg

One of our girlies has occassional idiopathic seizures, hoewever, after documenting them I swear they are food related. She gets an extra cup of food late at night to carry her through till morning. I also make seizure muffins from chicken and such for her to take with us when we travel. Her routine is upset when we leave home and she often doesn't eat like she should. At least I know she will eat the muffins to help her along.

After reading your post my thought is that maybe he's getting too much of a hit of meds on an empty stomach as they are digested faster without food in the belly. Maybe if he gets a cup of food mid day or maybe a half hour before meds it will help slow down the rapid absorbtion a bit.

It's so frustrating when they cannot tell us what's wrong! Good thoughts coming Carriers way from the hilltops of WNY.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am thinking it's a food thing as well. we did a food switch not long ago from Canidae to Senior Orijen ... less calories. We did this because we noticed that he was gaining some not needed weight and also wanted him on a grain free food. He eats 1 3/4 cups at 7:30am, gets his enalapril and lasix after that and then treats throughout the day - but not high fatty treats. And then they eat dinner at 5:30/6:00 and he gets his lasix again at 7:30 and then artemisinin (supplement) before bedtime when his tummy is empty. I am going to try giving him something around 1:30 tomorrow and see if that helps. we might have to give him the regular Orijen with more calories if this is the case and so more treats through the day.

If it is his blood sugar that is causing it, how long does it take for them to bounce back after eating. He settled at about 6pm, slept for over an hour and just woke for a pee and seem right as rain now.

Edited by LadyBailey

I am thinking it's a food thing as well. we did a food switch not long ago from Canidae to Senior Orijen ... less calories. We did this because we noticed that he was gaining some not needed weight and also wanted him on a grain free food. He eats 1 3/4 cups at 7:30am, gets his enalapril and lasix after that and then treats throughout the day - but not high fatty treats. And then they eat dinner at 5:30/6:00 and he gets his lasix again at 7:30 and then artemisinin (supplement) before bedtime when his tummy is empty. I am going to try giving him something around 1:30 tomorrow and see if that helps. we might have to give him the regular Orijen with more calories if this is the case and so more treats through the day.

If it is his blood sugar that is causing it, how long does it take for them to bounce back after eating. He settled at about 6pm, slept for over an hour and just woke for a pee and seem right as rain now.

Hi Eva. Just thought I would mention an odd side effect we had from Orijen. Max started drinking heavily and peeing excessively within 3 days of starting him on Orijen. Had his urine tested and there was a high concentration of sugars present. Stopped the Orijen, the frantic drinking stopped and his urine returned to normal. I have no idea if this is in anyway related to Carrier's issues, but just thought I would mention that blood sugar *can* be affected by food, Orijen most specifically. Max was fine within 3/4 days...

Hugs to all of you...

My boys, together again...

cedarlodge2010027_zpsc250b3bf-1_zps9f4d4

A hui hou kakou, my loves

Hi All,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for thinking of us. Carrier went for a check up last Thursday - blood work and a chest xray. The blood isn't back yet, so I am not sure what is going on there. His lungs weren't as "crisp" as they hoped, so they increased his lasix to 40mg every 12 hours. But there is not evidence of the cancer spreading in his lungs.

I changed his food from Orijen Senior to Orijen Adult and have been giving him a snack mid day and he hasn't had a head shake problem since then.

His heart is still in atrial fibrillation and according to the vet, this may be like this for life.

Overall he seems to be much better though. He sleeps comfortably, has a huge appetite, wags his tail and loves on us. We haven't taken him for a walk since before this happened, and today he thought that he was going for a walk with the girls, but that wasn't the case. He was so excited and then so sad when he realized he wasn't going..so I boosted his and Andy's spirits with tasty treats. I don't think he's ready and since we don't really now what exactly is going on, I am not confident taking him out for a run/walk. Anyway, once we get the blood work, all the info is going to be transferred to OSU and then early next week, we are going to take Carrier down to Ohio for a full work up. Until then, we are keeping him quiet and comfortable. He is such a brave boy. We love him more than words can say.

thanks for the prayers. will try to keep you updated as best I can.

Now I know this will sound silly, and I hope Carrier is doing well...have you considered a pet psychic so you can hear everything Carrier is saying/feeling? I know not everyone believes in these, but we did one with Pop this past December and I swear afterwards he was SOOOOOO calm, like he was glad he finally got to say everything to us that had been bottled inside of him for 2 years...and the psychic swears that you just talk to them normally and they usually know what you're saying...I swear, Pop really listened to us and we talk normal to Zelda and make sure she is focused on us and she seems to get stuff...we want to do the psychic again. The one we went to can even do readings with just a picture of your pet...I've included the link...ours was able to tell us that Pop's hind end is sore from his racing days so he really appreciates the massages we do on his hind end and it hurts his end hind to do the stairs so he won't always follow us down, but he has more since we've gotten Zelda (but that's more of a 'I don't want to be left out' thing).

http://www.lorriethepetpsychic.com/index.html

It's just a thought, but her reading of Pop was so accurate, sometimes I was close to tears and othertimes we were laughing so hard...by the way, we asked him about the track and he said that he did have good racing owners but he doesn't like to talk about his track days as he never got to bond with anyone which is why he didn't like it.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel