I'm So Worried...my Heart Is Breaking

Guest K9Cookies

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well damn that wasn't what the news we were hoping for. But now it's it's kick cancer's butt time! :grouphug

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Dr. Couto is your best bet for getting proper direction and treatment advice. Ask him questions about the type of lymphoma (B cell, T cell, ??), if there is organ involvement or only the lymph nodes. There are several standard protocols, and lots of new things that Dr. Couto and UPenn and others can tell you about.

I would recommend joining the Circle of Grey on Yahoo Groups.

Depending on the type and severity of the lymphoma, it can be highly treatable. My CoCo lived to be 14.5, 28m out from when I first found her nodes enlarged. Though we didn't have a necropsy done, it appeared that she was cancer free when she went to the Bridge. This isn't always the outcome, but it is a much more highly treatable cancer than some that GHs can get.

Please PM if you have any questions.

Remember to breathe,

Hugs, DD

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

:goodluck for Bonnie

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thanks DD. Based on the recommendation from all of you, I've joined Circle of Greys and Lymphomaheartdogs on Yahoo. I've had my ups and downs tonight. My husband will be home soon, so we'll be able to cry and laugh together.

Bonnie is our third greyhound, but our first dog to be "sick". We haven't dealt with anything like this before. I'll be looking to all of you for help and support (and maybe a good kick in the pants sometimes!) I will keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

Guest twilliams

So sorry, Kristin & Drew. There are many good treatment options for Bonnie. Thank goodness she is so spunky and otherwise healthy. That will mean so much with whatever treatment plan you choose. There is much information out there about nutrition and alternative medicine. I learned a lot on Circle of Grey and the Yahoo Lymphoma Heart Dog groups. You, like we have, will have so much support from Sheila & Greg. If there is anything we can do to help, please let us know. Good thoughts and prayers for Miss Bonnie!

I wish you the best. I was where you are last June. Don't give up hope, but live every single day as if it were your last. It is so much better when you live in the moment like these wonderful hounds do. Live every single day separately and you will get much joy no matter what happens.

Guest HeatherDemps

So sorry this is the diagnosis. Mine has osteo, so I am not familiar with the nuances of this one. They all suck though and I know this is a hard time for you. It's good that you have joined Circle of Grey- I think you'll get lots of information and suggestions there in addition to what you find here. GT and COG are what got me through it when I first got the diagnosis and then as the treatment started and continues. Hang in there and all I can recommend is to just try to appreciate the little things and live in the moment as our hounds do.

Sending hugs and good thoughts to you and your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm very sorry to hear your news. :grouphug No personal experience to share... just will keep all of you in my prayers for a successful course of treatment and MUCH more quality time with your brave Bonnie girl. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I'm so sorry you've gotten this diagnosis. I really think that the time right after you get that dreaded news is the worst. You are processing so many emotions, and thinking of so many possibilities. I know how tough it is---I've had one with lymphoma and one with osteo. Once you start getting information and deciding on treatment, you have a focus. CoG and GT are wonderful support, and information sources. And of course, Dr. Couto is so generous with his time and knowledge. You will learn a lot, and you are already moving in the right direction. When my Angel Patsy was diagnosed, our vet, who is not prone to heroic measures, told us that it is the type of cancer that does respond well to chemo, and I've known many dogs who did well. We agonized over that decision, but decided to do the chemo. Though everything seemed to progress the way it should have, we only had her for about 4 months before it moved to her central nervous system, and we had to let our precious girl go. But cancer is a crapshoot. You'll hear amazing successes and heartbreaking losses, but you know you have to try. You just need to do what you know is right for Bonnie and for you. And please know that you are in the thoughts and prayers of so many.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown