Har-har's Home!

Guest Jamie

I thought it was time to start a new thread on Harley. He's slowly getting better but still a long road left to go, he no longer needs a tear to describe what's going on.

Durning yesturdays visit Dr. Pam tells me she's thinking Harley should be able to go home today or tomorrow. She wanted him on IV's for one or two more days to help flush his system. While there I asked if they had gotten his histopath report back. They just got it that morning and it's what we believed...osteosarcoma. He will be started on chemo in a few weeks after he gets a bit better.

I called to check on Harley this morning. They said his face is more swollen, on the nose and his eyes are puffy. All of his CBC counts are still slowly going up. He also scarfed down some scrambled eggs Cindy brought up and some turkey for breakfast. Finally the news I been waiting for...he can come home.

I transfered the foster over to a new foster home and went to get my baby boy.

When I got there they were finishing up filling his prescriptions I gave Willy a kiss (birdie) and checked on Harley then I ran next door and got some high fat no wheat treats, it's not fair Lilandra gets treats and not Harley.

I head back over and talk with Dr. Pam about his condition, what to look for, tips to get him better, and how to move him around. They put a lead on him and he got up on his own. He headed strait for the front door and wasn't looking back,lol. I gave Dr. Pam a huge hug and thanked her for everything. Amy and I get him in the car, I thanked her and was on my way home.

He's on 4 meds possibly 5 if he needs it... Denosyl (for liver), Mirtazapine (for liver), Baytril (antibiotic), Metronidazole (antibiotic), and Tramadol for pain if he needs it. Dr. Pam is hoping that all of the swelling goes down on it's own. She's suggest if it doesn't we can use a steroid to help, but she doesn't want to tax his liver any more than what it is. His liver is already dealing with all those toxins, we don't want to add any more issues. If at anytime we think he's getting worse we are not to hesitate to get him back up there.

I get home he gets strait out of the car no help from me, he didn't want it. I try to get him to go to the front steps, he doesn't want to go. Instead he takes me to the back yard and precedes to go pee in his normal spot, then takes me to his normal spot to poo. I was so proud of him, I'm sure they heard me praising him down the street,lol. We head back to the front of the house with rest breaks inbetween. By time we got to the front yard I could tell he was exhausted and cold (it's 20 degrees or lower) so I carried him the rest of the way and up the front steps and into the house. He walked to his new twin mattress covered with a comforter and layed down. I got him a bowl of water he drank about half and layed down for a nap. It's been a few hours and he really hasn't moved much, but this was a busy day for him.

I cooked him some scrambled eggs and so far he has refused them. I'm hoping when my boyfriend gets home from work and his mother and step father come over in about 1 hour he will eat then.

I can't thank everyone enough for the well wishes and prayers throughout this week, it means a lot to James and me. I also can't thank all the wonderful people at Rescued Racers for helping me through this very hard situation! I'll say it again I truely think Cindy from Rescued Racers is Harley's gaurdian angel, she has helped him and me so much! I also owe Dr. Couto a great big thank you for saving Harley!!!

Here's some recent pics of Harley from today. He's laying on his new full sized bed.

Harleyfirstdayhome1-30-083.jpg

Closer view of his face and arms, his poor little cute face, he doesn't look like a grey in the face.

Harleyfirstdayhome1-30-085.jpg

A close look at his amputation site. I can't believe how good this looks and how bad the rest of him is.

Harleyfirstdayhome1-30-084.jpg

Thanks again, and I'll keep you guys update as he continues to get better.

Jamie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the update... what a beautiful brave boy! I'll continue to keep you and Harley in my thoughts - sending hugs and wishes for a speedy post-op recovery... :grouphug :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Bless his heart. Sending gentle ear scritches to Harley :grouphug and prayers :hope for a good recovery.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Big gentle hugs to Harley. Poor sweet thing. He looks like he is resting peacefully. Keep us updated on him please. What a trooper!!!!

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

:hope

I tried to PM you...you don't have enough post....

Forgive me for not posting a lot on Harley...I just lost a grey to cancer about 3 1/2 weeks ago & its still very difficult for me.

I've been reading your post daily & keeping you all in my prayers.

Adding my prayers and white light. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

What a dear boy he is... and so very brave. :wub::kiss2

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Continued good thoughts for Harley :wub:

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest vahoundlover
:couchjump YAY!! He's home!! Harley has been such a trooper, I bet he starts feeling much better now that he's home. :kiss2 Continued prayers and healing thoughts coming your way.

Keeping Harley and you in my prayers. Now that he is home again, I'm sure he'll improve quickly with his family around him. :hope:candle:thumbs-up

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Yea Harley!!! He's such a fighter :)

It was funny, on Monday we were there and he ate the scrambled eggs Cindy brought him. There's a Mexican restaurant across the strip center from the vet that's owned by this really mean lady, who's luckily a dog lover. So, we went over and asked her if she could scramble him some more eggs. She did it and didn't even charge us for them!!! Greyhounds make even mean people nice :lol:

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

I'm heading off to work but wanted to update a bit...Thank you again everyone!

Harley still hasn't eaten yet. I've got in touch with Dr. Couto and my vet is going to fax over his latest blood work to see if he can help. Until then my boyfriend has to take Harley back to the vet to get hooked up on an IV again and do some more blood work.

I'll let you know how today goes after I get off work.

Jamie

Guest MorganKonaAlex

Morgan did that to me too. I resorted to a day or so of forced feeding to get his system going. I found instructions from Dr. Stack and used refrigerated I/D. It wasn't that hard.