Good Thoughts For My Gracegirl Please

I've been taking on greyhounds as boarders through a local list I'm part of. Last week some folks contacted me to watch their greyhound because their regular sitter fell through. I've met them and their dog before. I gave them the usual "bring her bed, food, muzzle, leash, coats and contact emergency numbers" deal. I had already agreed to watch a friends foster for the week, starting the same night, but figured that the extra (4th) dog for three days would be no problem. I've done 4 dogs before. When they dropped off dog #4 they "forgot" her muzzle. They also forgot her bed, so I asked them to bring her muzzle when they came back with the bed. They came back with the bed and more PJs, but where is the muzzle? They "forgot" it, but she is so sweet she doesn't need it. NOT THE CASE. After work I got home, Grace and Fenway were in the yard muzzled, I let dog #4 out and while muzzling the foster I hear a horrible scream and turn to see Grace pinned up against the fence with dog #4's jaws around her neck. Throwing all the other dogs in crates, I rushed Grace to the vet. They stayed late to fix her up, lots of internal stitches, 20 staples, three drains, a bandage on her neck, and lots of tears from mom......and now we are back home.

I'm am sick to my stomach that I let this happen. Did I really need to ask more than three times to bring her muzzle??? When I tell you three times to bring it, I'm not just joking around. I feel so bad for my sweet girl, I'm just so so so sorry this happened to her. I'll upload photos soon, for now she is resting and drunk as can be.

Please spare some good healing thoughts for my pretty little girl.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest lvl0cmr

You poor things. My girl was bitten by a cocker spaniel which some people find amusing for some reasonand let me tell you, the stitches, tubes, and weeks of medicine and making sure the wound was okay were not fun. Not to mention if your dog is anything like mine she may become very leery of other dogs. My heart goes out to you and no you are not to blame for trying to help someone out by watching their dog.

Gracie, feel better real soon honey. Your mom is glad your home and she's probably hurting as much as you are :(

I have spare muzzles around for exactly that sort of situation, I'm amazed how folks 'forget' them even when I tell them the dog must enter the house wearing a muzzle. (I have kitties.) So I keep a spare hung on the front door knob and more often than not walk out to the car with it and put it on the 'guest' doggie.

Hope you both feel better in the morning! :grouphug

Guest BooMooandDoo

I'm so sorry this happened.

Please take me up on the offer to watch #4 tomorrow so you can hang out with dear Grace! Big hugs to you and my monkey :grouphug

Here are a few photos of my drunk monkey... :(

DSCN0218.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I am so sorry and I hope Grace heals soon and without complications. Please take boomooanddoo up on her offer so that you can focus on Grace. :grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

I am so sorry and I hope Grace heals soon and without complications. Please take boomooanddoo up on her offer so that you can focus on Grace. :grouphug

:nod Yep, I will be....that was wonderful of her to offer. Grace needs all my attention right now.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Lauren, I'm so sorry :grouphug

Lori is good people, and Grace definitely needs your attention right now. Poor baby, I hope she heals easily and quickly. :grouphug

OMG, OMG, OMG Lauren!!! How horrifying that must have been! Poor Gracie, and poor you!!!

Sending lots of healing thoughts to your gorgeous girl!!!

ETA: Please don't beat yourself up over this. It was just a freak thing---no way you could have known it would happen, especially based on the owner's comments.

Edited by JerseyGirlInOz

gallery_11362_3294_17365.png
"Hurricane Sandi" (Baurna to Run).

Forever missing my "Angel-With-A Crooked-Halo" Hailey, and "Mokkah" (Xpress Point) with all my heart.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." ~~Will Rogers

Guest karma98104

!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!! Not grace!!! :( That is just just awful and the pictures--- !!! What on earth happened??? :( :( :( I don't know what to say :(

If I can do anything at all PLEASE CALL ME. And in the future- if you need help taking care of pups or a friend to go to the vet with-please call me too!!

What did the owners say? Are they willing to pony up some vet costs?? :(

Edited by karma98104

Oh poor poor Grace and poor you.

Many healing thoughts coming your way.

She might need a "get well soon" collar....I better get my credit card and start browsing your site. :D Her brand spankin' new winter collar is ripped to shreds. I'm not even sure when she can wear a collar again with those 20 staples in the way.

Oh, Gracie, sweet girl, feel better soon.

I'm so sorry this happened, Lauren. How'd Fenway react? Did he try to get in the mix, or did it freak him out?

I'm so sorry this happened, Lauren. How'd Fenway react? Did he try to get in the mix, or did it freak him out?

In the past he's defended Grace and jumped into the mix. I have no idea where he was during all of this today, but neither of the boys got involved (thank goodness!) It happened so quickly and I literally tackled the dog...I wasn't really all that aware of what was going on. I came home and found that Forest was in his crate with his muzzle on! Whoops!

In the past he's defended Grace and jumped into the mix. I have no idea where he was during all of this today, but neither of the boys got involved (thank goodness!) It happened so quickly and I literally tackled the dog...I wasn't really all that aware of what was going on. I came home and found that Forest was in his crate with his muzzle on! Whoops!

:nod I get ya'. I would've been totally tunnel visioned, too. Thank goodness you didn't get ripped up too when you tackled the other hound. But we never think about that when we're protecting our babies, do we?

Sending lots of love and hugs to Grace.

What a miserable shock. Sending gentle hugs and healing prayers to your sweet girlie.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.