Scooter C E S And Right Leg Issues. Went To Vet

Jennifer

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prayers for Scooter! My bridge kitty Roscoe's nickname was Scooter, so your Scooter has always tugged at my heartstrings.

Camille, Mom to Cher and Centeno! Also the kitties: Dash, Tod, and Starburst.
Waiting at the Bridge: Bam Bam, Mimi, Mimosa Grove, Magic, Roscoe, Buckwheat, Knick Knack, and Skylarphoto-11974.jpg?__rand=0.00790800+129039

Sending more prayers for precious Scooter. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest odiesmom

Jennifer good luck to you. I am having similar issues with Odie. I am having x-rays tomorrow.

Dont want to scare you but my doctor thinks Odie may have bone cancer. you can check

my post out. All my best. keep me posted. odiesmom

For those that aren't aware, Scooter was diagnosed with CES or LS earlier this year. Only since his eye surgery has it been bothersome enough that he is now medicated for it. In the last week he has been favoring his right rear leg...red flags went up and we visted the vet today.

Update on Scooter's hips/ right rear leg:

We got to the vet and Dr. C examined Scooter. She did a very thorough touch & feel examine on both his hind legs. She could see as we came in the office that he was ginger on the right leg already and during the examine he was shakey in the hind end, but that's normal now with the CES and having been standing since I got home and the car ride to the vet and the waiting room wait to get into the vet. Anyway, as she was examining the hind legs I was holding Scooter in the head and chest area and as soon as she applied pressure to his upper knee/ lower femur area, he tensed up significantly. When she applied pressure to the area on the left leg, nothing, again on the right leg and he jerked and tensed. Something is definitely going on with his knee/ lower femur area. Here's what we are left with for the time being:

#1- It could be that he has injured his knee and that he is sore from that and that is why he's ginger on that leg at this time. There is no swelling or bone enlargement and there is no muscle deteriation. Even when she viewed him and examined him from the rear, his thigh muscles are very strong. A very good sign.

#2- Yes, the knee joint area is a hot pocket for Osteo but at this time it would be to early, even if we did x-rays, to possibly say for sure that is could be Osteo. Reason being that since he has only just begun to show favoritism to that leg, it's very unlikely that anything would show in the x-ray this soon anyway. However, should this be something along those lines then it would develop quick enough that I would know in the next couple of weeks that it's something more than just a knee injury and that we need to do x-rays now. That being said, I'm not putting off having x-rays done, I am delaying it as this time to see if it is a knee injury and heals itself then his leg will improve, if he gets worse than what he is now, we'll know something is there to be detected.

So, we are continuing on his pain meds that he already takes for his CES and we'll be keeping a sharp eye to see if the leg gets any worse. If it gets worse, we have problems. If it stays the same, it could still be just an injury that is slow to improve-if ever improve- kind of like a football player with a knee injury. :lol Bottomline.....IF he doesn't improve and/ or worsens by the time we get back from Dewey then we will be having x-rays done.

There. :D Clear as mud eh? :lol

And for those that's aren't familiar with CES Click Here

Jennifer good luck to you. I am having similar issues with Odie. I am having x-rays tomorrow.

Dont want to scare you but my doctor thinks Odie may have bone cancer. you can check

For those that aren't aware, Scooter was diagnosed with CES or LS earlier this year. Only since his eye surgery has it been bothersome enough that he is now medicated for it. In the last week he has been favoring his right rear leg...red flags went up and we visted the vet today.

We got to the vet and Dr. C examined Scooter. She did a very thorough touch & feel examine on both his hind legs. She could see as we came in the office that he was ginger on the right leg already and during the examine he was shakey in the hind end, but that's normal now with the CES and having been standing since I got home and the car ride to the vet and the waiting room wait to get into the vet. Anyway, as she was examining the hind legs I was holding Scooter in the head and chest area and as soon as she applied pressure to his upper knee/ lower femur area, he tensed up significantly. When she applied pressure to the area on the left leg, nothing, again on the right leg and he jerked and tensed. Something is definitely going on with his knee/ lower femur area. Here's what we are left with for the time being:

#1- It could be that he has injured his knee and that he is sore from that and that is why he's ginger on that leg at this time. There is no swelling or bone enlargement and there is no muscle deteriation. Even when she viewed him and examined him from the rear, his thigh muscles are very strong. A very good sign.

#2- Yes, the knee joint area is a hot pocket for Osteo but at this time it would be to early, even if we did x-rays, to possibly say for sure that is could be Osteo. Reason being that since he has only just begun to show favoritism to that leg, it's very unlikely that anything would show in the x-ray this soon anyway. However, should this be something along those lines then it would develop quick enough that I would know in the next couple of weeks that it's something more than just a knee injury and that we need to do x-rays now. That being said, I'm not putting off having x-rays done, I am delaying it as this time to see if it is a knee injury and heals itself then his leg will improve, if he gets worse than what he is now, we'll know something is there to be detected.

So, we are continuing on his pain meds that he already takes for his CES and we'll be keeping a sharp eye to see if the leg gets any worse. If it gets worse, we have problems. If it stays the same, it could still be just an injury that is slow to improve-if ever improve- kind of like a football player with a knee injury. :lol Bottomline.....IF he doesn't improve and/ or worsens by the time we get back from Dewey then we will be having x-rays done.

Guest odiesmom

Jennifer I am very sorry to hear this. My dog is having similar issues with his hind right leg. We are getting x-rays tomorrow. His doctor thinks he might have bone cancer. Sorry don't want to scare you. You can read my post.

All my best----odiesmom

Jennifer I am very sorry to hear this. My dog is having similar issues with his hind right leg. We are getting x-rays tomorrow. His doctor thinks he might have bone cancer. Sorry don't want to scare you. You can read my post.

All my best----odiesmom

:grouphug As strange as it is to say this, I'm hoping that it's just a knee injury. :kiss2 to Scooter

Amen to that. ;)

Thank you all for your kind words. :bighug We will be leaving for the vet shortly. He'll be spending the day there. Hopefully when I pick him up this afternoon we will have some better information to work with. :hope

Thanks again everyone. :bighug

Welcome home Quixote (formerly known as Whytell Mango)

JennScoot2.jpg

My Beloved Scooterman October 16, 1998 - October 11, 2007

Sending some good thoughts out to Scooty :grouphug

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Paws, fingers and eyes crossed here for Scooter :goodluck

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!