Goodbye Sweet Cocktail (tm's Slim Queen)

Guest CocktailGirl

Guest CocktailGirl

DH and I decided it was time to help Cocktail to the bridge yesterday. She was diagnosed with bone cancer a little over three months ago. Cocktail being Cocktail never let on to how much pain she was feeling. In fact she ate hers and Tonic’s breakfast yesterday morning. But the other night was heart wrenching. We upped her pain meds and she still whined and had a tough time settling down for the night and it wasn’t fair to her. My memory of her now is very clean. All the good things and nothing bad.

Cocktail is my first greyhound and my heart dog. We asked for peppy in our application for her and got a strong willed alpha female. The night she came home she checked out the entire house and claimed the office as her own and it has always been the place she retreated to when she was recovering from some injury or another or just not feeling well.

Within two months of adopting Cocktail she had her first seizure. I thought she stopped breathing and gave her CPR and then took her to the vet. She was put on meds and was fine ever since. The same month she had her first injury that required stitches and then within 3 weeks she tore open one of her toe pads. More stitches and weekly visits to the vet followed. She went stitch free till August and ran into the rose bushes to get a toy and continued running as her torn ear turned her head red. She had now earned the name CJ Cocktail. The CJ standing for Calamity Jane. It now became the joke at the vets that we were going to put our vet on our holiday cards for that year because we saw him so much. Well, we did our part and Uncle Carmine as he is now known was on our cards in 2003. Cocktail staying true to her new extended name needed stitches at least once a year some years twice since then.

Cocktail’s favorite thing to do was to spend a day outside in nice weather. She would move from her dirt bed under a tree to her regular dog bed out in the sun through out the day. This tree became known as Cocktail’s tree and is the name it will hold forever.

As I watched Cocktail grow older and turn white in the face over the years she still acted like a puppy when she wanted to play with DH. This would usually happen when he got home from work and he would throw her favorite stuffy around the yard and she would chase it and catch it an throw it all around the yard.

Cocktail was not the most affectionate pup but she was always there for me when I needed it. She would snuggle at just the right time. They were few and far between but I will always remember those moments now.

Cocktail you will always be in my heart. Run free sweet girl you will be loved and missed forever!!!!!

Cocktail's Gotcha Day

154531568.jpg

Happy Holidays 2003

151918717.jpg

Recovering from 1st of many injuries

53457900.jpg

In Daddy's flower bed

162305932.jpg

Roaching, the best way to sleep

269339750.jpg

Sleeping under her tree

273038677.jpg

Rare cuddle time with Tonic

273038686.jpg

With my twins Paige and Alexandra

273038674.jpg

Goodbye my sweet baby!!!

273038690.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Cocktail. Take comfort in knowing she is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

I do hate cancer. It is the thief who robs us, everyday, of those we love.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest tricolorhounds

Oh Dear, I am so sorry. What a wonderful tribute to your special girl :grouphug

...run free Cocktail, run free :gh_run2

Edited by tricolorhounds

I'm so sorry. :cry1

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest argolola

I'm so sorry for your loss. In fact, I was just admiring her beauty today as I saw your siggy pic on another post.

May God bless you and your family.

I'm so sorry she's left you. You have wonderful pictures (esp. the holiday card & with your twins) & I'm sure wonderful memories to go along with them. Run free Cocktail! f_yellow

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Daisy & Eli, the crazy hounds, and Bella & Zoe, the curly kitties,
and Jed (10.30.98 - 11.28.08) & Ripple (3.25.99 - 8.20.09) together again at the bridge
with Cleo-Kitty (10.8.1988 - 7.26.2007) always in my heart.

Guest KennelMom
:grouphug I'm so sorry. Cocktail will have endless days of beautiful weather to enjoy in good company at the Bridge. Edited by KennelMom