Sammy Non Grey- Dachshund

i have never posted before but always read. my 13 lb doxie who has only lived with greys and thinks he is one is having surgery tomorrow by an orthopod here in houston. i am typing using one hand while i hold him in the other. yesterday morning he was running around and playing in our back yard. i was outside with him and our greys. i guess he twisted his right front leg as he was stopping. well he let out a blood curdling scream. i ran over and knew right away something was majorly wrong. off we go to the animal emergency. he broke his leg in 3 places and shattered/fractured his elbow. they put him in a soft cast and gave him a shot and sent him home with tramadol. my poor guy, he screams every time he moves and moans non stop. he hasn't urinated since yesterday at 8am but is taking a little bit of water by teaspoon and is taking pepcid as well for his tummy. please pray for my little guy. he is so sweet. and yes, i have been in contact with the vets several times today and they increased his pain meds although he still acts shocky (no temp) i pray the orthopedic vet can fix his leg. if anyone knows dxies their legs grow crooked and will be hard to pin/screw back together. needless to say i am freakedout and so are my greys. thank you for prayers

pam amd sammy

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

I am so sorry and wish your little doxie well tomorrow. :grouphug

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Oh no. Sending prayers for your little one.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sending lots of prayers. Who is doing the surgery? Poor Sammy--give him a soft ear scritch from me!

My DD's minpin broke her leg and went through something similar (she shattered her elbow) in Louisville. They had to keep her quiet (crate rest) for 6 weeks. She is doing fine now :)

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Oh no... your poor baby. :( Sending lots of light and prayers for an excellent surgical outcome. :hope:candle

Lots of hugs to you, too. :bighug

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

thank you all for the the good thoughts for Sammy. He is just so restless poor thing and in pain. Dianne, The surgery is being done at Gulf Coast. I know GPA Houston sends greys there. I could have had it done at Texas ATM but would have had to wait until Tuesday. I hope the Dr. does a good job. Please continue keeping this little guy in your thoughts. I will post tomorrow after I know something.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Years ago we had a little Doxie that broke her hind leg. The vet was an older man & he fixed her, but then the hind legs are bigger. After everything was healed if Hexie wanted special attention she would hop around holding her leg up as if it was still broken, often she'd be holding the wrong leg until one of us told he "wrong leg!!". Good luck & keep us posted on how things go.

Doing the pain-free-infection-free-fast-mending chant for your doxy.

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Sammy's surgery lasted over 2 hours. They put plates in and ran a pin the length of his humerous which poor thing isn't long. I loved the orthopedic Dr. He has a greyhound who is 11 and was seriously attacked about 2 weeks ago by a pitbull while he was away on vacation. He told me he was so scared and took a early flight home to help him. Can't you see why I felt in good hands after knowing this Vet owns a grey. Anyway, back to Sammy. He said his poor elbow was shattered and we won't know for awhile if this even will work. He said an orthopedic vets complicated surgery is a smashed elbow and then you add that dachshunds bones don't grow straight, it's hard. It will be an intense 8 week recovery but if it works it will be worth it!!!!!! We are going out of the country next week for vacation and he was staying at my vets anyway which probably will turn out to be a good thing. Lots of rest with out any temptations. Thanks for all the prayers. Keep them coming for a successful first night and minimal pain. Ouch I hate that when he screams. I will post again if I can bring him home tomorrow.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Sending more prayers. Sounds like he is indeed in good hands.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.