Sprout's Got A Poorly Knee

:eek

(an operation....on The Sprout) :unsure

So, going back a short time (a couple of months or so), Sprout started to limp a bit on one of his hind legs if he'd overdone it when out on walkies. It started off by just being a bit of a limp which would go away after a few hours rest. Then it prorgressed to a bit of a limp (again, only if he'd over done the rushing around with a ball in his gob on the fields) and it would last till the following day on occassion, so I'd give him some Metacam or Rimadyl and he was fine again for a while.

But today, he was actually holding his hind right leggie up off the floor (whilst rushing around at high speed with a toy in his mouth) so today was the day he went off to see the vet.

It transpires that most of Sprouts lameness is due to wear and tear and general normal stuff, with him being a more senior dog and all that but this acute problem has been caused by Sprout doing his cruciate ligament in :rolleyes:

We discussed a couple of different surgical options (as to leave the leg without surgery would but the leg at risk of breaking :eek ) and we opted against the TPLO (Tibial Plateau Leveling Osteotomy) surgery and for the....other, lesser surgery that I can't actually remember the name of but I'll find out and add it at a later point.

So, on Friday of this week, Sprouty will go in for x-rays (and special x-rays will be done, just in case the TPLO surgery does actually turn out to be necessary, rather than the less radical op) and then the operation itself will take place some time next week - probably Wednesday but believe me, I shall let you know :rolleyes:

I am not even going to start bleating about how this is The Sprout and how I'm not at all best pleased at the thought of him having anything at all wrong with any part of him and how I may not be very happy on the day he has to have aneasthetics and...all that... :rolleyes:

Here's my heart dog :beatheart He may be thirteen and a half but he still loves to run and run and run and to play and play and play :wub:

5789b0f8ea67106b7e3c54bcfbe3d893.jpg

62b81a34dd07495cfabbcff5c76e3fb4.jpg

47b70c481aa2a92e68703b8250d40c32.jpg

a13f527823e7140334ffe474360a1b38.jpg

Your good thoughts for Sprout would be most welcome :wub:

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Sprout! If he can survive living with Duffy and Darcy and Ella, surgery should be no problem for him! Best wishes to Sprout.

Melissa, Penelope (LC's Wild Rose)

Missing sweet Bell (EMK Bolivar Bell). I'll never forget you.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."

- Mark Twain

{image removed, taller than 150px}

I love Sprout! If he can survive living with Duffy and Darcy and Ella, surgery should be no problem for him! Best wishes to Sprout.

I second that! You're Sprout is a trooper. I'm sure he'll come through like a champ. Give him kisses for us! :wub:

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Count me among the stunned...Sprout's 13?! Love him...and your whole pack! Big Hugs :grouphug & Good Thoughts :wub: coming your way from Iowa!

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Hugs to Sprout. And you.

I'm sure he'll do just fine. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest Lori

I always have good thoughts for Sprout! :wub: I'm sure the surgery will go fine and he will be back to normal and maybe even a bit better. :)

And here are some hugs for Bev, who I know is freaking out a bit. :grouphug:grouphug:grouphug

Guest MomofSweetPotatoes

Sending good thoughts for Sprout (I too had no idea he was 13 either!)

Is the other surgery TTA (Tibial Tuberosity Advancement )? My neighbors Rotti had that done and was cruising around in 4 weeks (slowly) and back to snuff in 7.

Edited by MomofSweetPotatoes