Mark Has Crossed Over The Rainbow Bridge

Guest gralover

Guest gralover

I wanted to update you on Mark. He started to rally since Christmas-was eating more and actually looked like he might have gained a pound or two-a few ribs seemed a little less noticeable! He did a few of the things he used to enjoy doing-even spent some time outdoors with my husband while husband was working in the "barn"-like he always liked to do! But last night, when he laid on his bed on his side, we found blood coming from his mouth. He wouldn't let us touch there much to try to find out what was going on. The bleeding stopped when he kept his head upright. This morning at 5:30 AM, however, I awoke to a greyhound toe pushing into my face-Mark then snuggled up his head to mine on my pillow! When I got out a flashlight to check for any more bleeding-indeed there was more! As long as he kept his head upright, it seemed to stop. As soon as our vet's office opened, we called-unfortunately our vet wasn't working this weekend but his office faxed over Mark's records to the covering vet-who is actually involved with the Greyhound Placement Service in our state. The vet drew some blood and took temp-102-could not get reading of any platelets in bloodwork. We had pretty much decided on the way to the vet that it was probably time to let Mark go, but the vet's comment, "he's dying" completely convinced me I had to let Mark go now. It was so hard to say goodbye, but right before Mark received the needle, he laid his head down in my lap and seemed to be at complete peace! On the ride to the vet, for the first time in quite a while, he actually stuck his nose out the window for a few minutes-I guess he needed to feel the wind on his face one more time! I am going through some serious greyhound withdrawal right now-Mark was such a great hugger-and liked to give "kisses" too! He was truly my best friend-he was always there for me when I was sad, or when I was mad too! He stuck by us almost all of the time-even nights like the 4th of July when his brother was hiding indoors from the noise of fireworks around, Mark would rather stand outdoors with us and tolerate the noise than to be without us. The yellow lab with us now (my father-in-law's dog who moved in with us a few months before my father-in-law did) just doesn't know how to do such things! I pray it will not be long before another grey will be here-I know I can't ever replace Mark, but my husband and I can't see our home without one-he had a greyhound when we met over 22 years ago and we have never been without one-they are way too special! I want to thank all of you wonderful people - you have all meant a lot to me through such a difficult time, and I have learned a lot from all of you! I am so greytful to have learned about GreyTalk and I look forward to continuing communication with all of you through this site! Blessings to all of you and your greys (and other dogs, cats, etc, too) for a safe and Happy New Year! Hugs from me and Mark to all!!!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Tenderhearts

I am so so sorry to read of your loss of Mark. He was obviously a very special boy, and much loved and cherished. I will always be grateful for my bridge boy Bart as he was my introduction to the world of greyhounds, and like you, I can't bear the thought of life without a greyhound in it. The heavens will have a bright new star in the skies tonight. God bless you, and may he hold your aching hearts in his hands :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

Guest PhillyPups

Tears streaming here for you. What a wonderful tribute to your beloved Mark, and what a beautiful letting go, letting him feel the wind in his face, and finally with his head on your lap knowing he was truly loved, you gave him the ultimate gift of love.

:bighug to you cause I sure know you need a few now.

Fly with the angels Mark.

Godspeed Mark! I am so sorry for your loss f_yellowf_yellowf_yellow

Missing my sweet girl Scout. My snuggler, my chow-hound, my kissy girl.
It never thunders at the Bridge, and your food bowl is ALWAYS filled.

So strange not living in Atty World. I was a love struck handmaiden to your every whim.

I'm very sorry it was time for Mark to go. :( Your tribute to him is lovely and honors his specialness in such a sweet way. May you be comforted by your happy memories of Mark. He will live on forever in your heart and no doubt will send another hound your way when the time is right. :grouphug Godspeed, precious one... :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

God speed Mark and bless your mom and dad.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I am very sorry for your loss. However, I am also very happy that Mark had such an incredibly loving and wonderful home. You gave him the greatest gift possible. :angel:angelwings :angelwings :angel

Drake - Fortified Power x Cajun Oriel

Janney - Ronco x Sol Happy

Waiting at the bridge: Sirocco - (Reko Sirocco) - Trojan Episode x Reko Princess; Nikki - (MPS Sharai) - Devilish Episode x MPS Daisy Queen;
Yukon - (Yak Back) - Epic Prince x Barts Cinnamon

Guest DundeeToddsMom

I am so sorry for your loss.

Godspeed Mark, run a lap with my Angels Sweet Dundee and Bubba.

Send your mom & dad a special grey when they are ready

I am so sorry for your loss. Sometimes they stay until we are ready to let them go. He was waiting until you knew it was time. Take comfort in knowing your sweet Mark is at peace, pain free and running once again with the wind.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds