Is This A Common Greyhound Trait?

Guest rmaccara

Do one or more of your Grey's have a problem with poisonous flatulence?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Does your dog toot?

• Yes - constantly
    • Sometimes - but it doesn
    • No never - and neither do I!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toby was really gassy when he first came home with us. Even his fur had a skunky smell to it.

I tried a couple of different foods to alleviate the gas problem, and when I hit on the right one, the gas was eliminated completely and the pudding poops firmed up nicely as well.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Generally, my five aren't real gassy. Every once in a while, one of them will drop a bomb that can clear the room but not very often.

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest Fluffy

Badger's gaseousness varies based on his stress level and what he's been fed. On the day I got him, on the drive home from the kennel, we pretty much had to roll down the windows and stick our heads out to breathe. He still gets farty in cars, even though he loves riding in them. Nowadays he gets a large tablespoon of yogurt with every meal, and that seems to have cut down on the odor a lot. He still farts - sometimes he'll let out one so loud that he'll whip his head around and stare at his own behind! - but with the yogurt on board, it usually doesn't smell.

Well, unless I slipped him some of the frozen, whole-kernel corn I like to snack on in the summer. Then, all bets are off!

For what it's worth, I started him on Kirkland and had to switch him off because of poop issues

Guest 4dogscrazy

For what it's worth Rob, I've never had a dog do well on lamb. I had a Rotty who could eat garbage, rocks, dirt, trees (not sticks!), toys, plastic, furniture, my clothes, and about a million other things I have put out of my mind, but not lamb. Stinky stinky paint peeling farties and really gross poopies. I'm sure there are some dogs that do well on it, but none of mine ever have. Good luck and congratulations on your new baby!

Edited by 4dogscrazy

We had toxic farts and softish poops until we found a food that suited them (i.e not chicken/turkey based) and then you could hear a pffft of a fart quite regularly but it didn't smell and the poops were firm. I had to switch food a few months back to fit my budget and they do seem to have smellier farts now :( but i'll cut treats out and try some yoghurt first to see if that improves things.

Travelling seems to cause windyness, even with the good food they'd often get smelly farts after a road trip.

Guest iconsmum

We've only had Remy for one week, so she's still getting used to her food. We're feeding her Kirkland Lamb kibble (from Costco), and just today started giving a tablespoon of plain yogurt.

We're not sure what she was fed in prison, but I would suspect it was dry food and not what she had while racing.

I appreciate all your answers and comments!

Thanks,

Rob

This is not advice, it's just my experience:

all my dogs have come to me with horrible gassy tummies and all have been stink-free : ) within 18 hours of being changed to raw, even as they're still settling in. I think there must be a firm connection because even when they're under occasional stress, gas isn't even a minor issue.

Yup, things were quite stinky here until we switched to raw. Now we're all good!

My red head was brutal! I sort of miss it now, not the stink but when ever he released the noise would scare him and he took off runnning it was a roit. But as posted above as soon as we switch his diet everything cleared up- once in a great while but not nearly as bad.

Guest Flysmom

The boys rarely toot and if they do we don't smell anything. Our 5month old Pug puppy however could clear a room... :lol

Guest tbrodzel

When we first adopted Brynna she had the worst gas I have ever smelled in my whole life. :wacko: You never heard it, just smelled it. Her poop was really smelly too.

Then the vet found out she had Ghiardia (sp) and since it has been cleared up and her diet has changed she is a new dog. I never smell her gas anymore and only hear it when she stretches occasionally. :lol:

If your dog is clearing the room then the dog is being fed something that doesn't agree with the tummy/digestive system.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest rmaccara

I'm happy to report now that Remy rarely toots anymore, and when she does they're not of the room clearing variety!

She gets a good tablespoon of raw pumpkin before her morning kibble, and yogurt with her evening kibble.

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!

Guest amethyst

My dog was gassy when I first brought her home. Now just occasionally. She gets yogurt ( and fruit) about twice a week and I think that helps.

Milky Way's gas is usually food related. He and our bulldog eat totally different foods , occasionally if we run out of his food(which does not cause any toots) and he eats a bit of hers it's like RUN FOR THE HILLS fart.gif.

The worst tooting experience of my life was when I picked up a foster a couple years back. That dog could have been used as a Weapon of Mass Destruction, the entire 1.5 hour ride home was a true test of wits as even with the windows rolled down(had they been rolled up we literally would have died) it was noxious. Within a few days the old boy's tummy settled and things were all good.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Guest Che_mar_Cody

In the beginning yes, really bad. Now it's just when I / Nitemare (on this board) give him something that he's not used to.

My boy can NEVER do scooby snacks.

• 3 months later...
Guest robandtammy

Brook's ride home from the farm was toxic. Travelling for 2 hours in a car with 4 adults gagging even with the windows down on the highway was quite the spectacle. Nowadays, she gets gassy and noxious when she's excited or has been in the car - I'm guessing her insides get a little more shaken up. This past weekend, she was room-clearing-deadly for an entire day. We had not been anywhere, she was asleep in the sofa most of the day. I have no idea where it came from...besides her rear:) I was honestly getting concerned later in the evening. Brook is little (54lbs) but can make grown men gag. I am going to seek out some probiotics like has been recommended here to see if that makes any difference. I am (oddly) reassured that we aren't the only ones with a stinky hound, though.

Guest avadogner

I recommend going grain free or invest in a gas mask. Augie has had terrible GI issues since coming home last month but it's getting better since we dewormed x2, added probiotics and changed to grain free. We do Blue Buffalo Salmon Grain Free. It's pricey but it was worth it's weight in gold when he stopped having such paint peeling gas. It was so bad BOTH hounds would leave the room after Augie pooted. Thunderstorms, Tornado weather and SA always yeild massive gas. Try being in our closed den "safe place" for 4 hours of constant tornado warnings. Poor dude was killing me. I know it stinks literally but these sweet, sensitive dogs come with not so sweet, sensitive colons.

-ava and augie's mum

Guest sophiesmum

Its funny that a few of you have mentioned stress or excitement. Sophie only seems to fart in the company of visitors! We try to explain ir but it just seems like a lame excuse!

Guest Profgumby

I'm sorry anyone has to endure paint peelers and there is always a cause to them. And I apologize in advance for the following...

Why are dog fart threads always so entertaining? Is it a I feel your pain, or that we have all been there?

• 3 weeks later...

Barney died several years ago at nearly 14. No matter what we fed him, he always had gas but never "tooted". He exploded! His farts were so.......emphatic, that he scared the heck out of himself. He'd be sound asleep, and he'd let out one of those explosions, and he'd instantly jump from his bed, and run out of the room. He'd come back a few minutes later to look for the source of the noise, sniffing and searching. He never figured it out, and nearly til the day he died he'd scare himself silly with his own "toots".

God we miss that guy, and the mirth he created for us.

STILL MISSED: TEDDY"Ted Sarandis" 8/18/92-7/3/2001..WILLOW 2/21/95-10/12/05..MAGIC "Special Dark" 9/20/93-10/3/2002..STEELY "Sport Connection" 8/1/90-7/2/04.. BARNEY "Pa's Sad Eyes"8/1/93-5/9/07..ALLIE 6/96-10/17/08...MR. BRITT "Cedarun Brett" 8/1/02-7/15/11..HARPER"Dashin Along"1/11/01-3/12/12..CAVAN "Pat C Cavan" 12/29/98-6/19/12..WHISPER"Ecstatic Events" 7/11/01-10/7/13..Lilly"Mimosa Maria"4/27/02-6/23/14..NELLIE"Afteraracenellie"5/21/2000-7/7/2014...SANTOS"Galgo" 2000-7/10/15..MOLLY"JWC Molivia Girl"3/18/02-3/6/16..

NewLogo.gif