Is This A Common Greyhound Trait?

Guest rmaccara

Do one or more of your Grey's have a problem with poisonous flatulence?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Does your dog toot?

• Yes - constantly
    • Sometimes - but it doesn
    • No never - and neither do I!

Oh yeah!!! Definitely depends on what food I feed him, esp canned. Been having some problems getting out Grey to eat lately so picked up some Blue canned food. The one I gave him yesterday is mainly fish. Well, he ate it twice yesterday and I finally just brought the can of Febreeze in the bedroom. :rolleyes:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TBSFlame

Barney died several years ago at nearly 14. No matter what we fed him, he always had gas but never "tooted". He exploded! His farts were so.......emphatic, that he scared the heck out of himself. He'd be sound asleep, and he'd let out one of those explosions, and he'd instantly jump from his bed, and run out of the room. He'd come back a few minutes later to look for the source of the noise, sniffing and searching. He never figured it out, and nearly til the day he died he'd scare himself silly with his own "toots".

God we miss that guy, and the mirth he created for us.

:lol :lol :lol

Guest BonnieW

Draco was only off the track a few weeks when he came to live with us and he would clear the room and often. Last for a few weeks and doesn't happen much now. I didn't really do anything special other than give him plain yogurt. I love him dearly, but I sure don't miss that smell ;)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Celestrina

Barney died several years ago at nearly 14. No matter what we fed him, he always had gas but never "tooted". He exploded! His farts were so.......emphatic, that he scared the heck out of himself. He'd be sound asleep, and he'd let out one of those explosions, and he'd instantly jump from his bed, and run out of the room. He'd come back a few minutes later to look for the source of the noise, sniffing and searching. He never figured it out, and nearly til the day he died he'd scare himself silly with his own "toots".

God we miss that guy, and the mirth he created for us.

:lol :lol :lol

I literally LOL'd at that post.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest katethegreyt

My girl was positively unbearable when she first came home. However, they had been feeding pretty low quality food at the adoption place, so she got an immediate switch to Taste of the Wild (Pacific Stream right now). After about the first week, she was fine, and now she only does it occasionally and usually only if she's excited for some reason or has had some different food (bites of some of our dinner or something).

Have hope! Haha.

Guest KungPaoKat

This thread made me laugh. Every now and then, Monroe can peel paint. There have been several times I had to check the room for poop because it smelled so bad! And yes, I've woken in the middle of the night a few times to a stench so bad I swear I could see it hovering like a fog in the air!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bluefawn

Penny lets some stinkers fly when she is really stressed or when she gets something like pizza "bones", potatoes, or other "people" table food/scraps. Larry does this (usually behind my back) and I wish he wouldn't. My other hounds were like that - if they were given anything other than their kibble, the gas wars were on! The only things that don't make Penny unusually gassy are mostly fruits like when I share an apple, orange, pear, or part of a cantaloupe with her.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest HookemsMom

We live in a pretty rural area so sometimes have a consistant food can be hard. When we first got Hook he could clear the room for sure. Now he rarely toots but occasoinally you will hear the Pfffttt..., and my husband and I brace ourselves for the smelly onslaught. I do also give him about a 1/4 cup of bran on his food in the morning which has definately helped with gas and poop quality.

• 2 weeks later...

We've had gas, no gas, some gas, gas that could melt your hair right off, and gas we heard but never smelled.

The food they eat is the first place to look, of course, once you've ruled out parasites, which can take a few rounds.

We've had decent luck with a chicken based high quality kibble, but the best we've had was while on a totally vegan diet, based mostly on sprouted beans (cooked and ground, with veggies, cooked and fresh, plus enzymes). We moved to a vegan kibble, and they did quite well on that too, until the price drove us back to the chicken kibble. :( Now, their fur is greasy and I'm seeing dandruff where I never did before. :(

But, the gas isn't bad, as long as they get a half-dose of enzymes. That's a self-defense supplement! :lol

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Guest queenme2

We had to drive almost two hours to house to bring Nina home and you see us all wondering " What the hell have we gotten in to?" After a month of Kibble making matter worse, I told my husband that she just can't at plain Kibble and may have to cook for her. He thought I was off my rocker. But it made all the difference and the gas went away. Then about five months later I was sick and there wasn't any homemade food, I told husband he would have to make a batch. But being a man he decided he knew best and bought a HUGE bag of kibble. Later that evening I could here him scolding Nina saying " Can u just turn ur butt off !!??" Next day he cooked her something LOL

Sammi, if given anything pork, becomes a weapon of biological warfare. :ph34r

She doesn't just peel the paint. It vaporizes... along with your eyeballs and the little hairs inside your nasal passages.

So... she doesn't even get pizza crust if there is a sliver of pepperoni on it. My dad learned, painfully, that pepperoni has pork in it. She woke him out of a dead sleep with her gas attack :eek

• 5 months later...
Guest IndyHound

Beckett will and the only time he seems to notice is when its a particularity loud one. other wise he tends to act as though he didn't do anything. And if someone reacts to the smell he'll look around innocently. By the way look at your greys diet. Ive noticed that anything with lamb will make the gas 100 times worse.

It was worse at first, but it's gotten better since Allstun has gotten used to us. Or maybe it hasn't, and we've just gotten used to him. Whichever, the problem does seem to get better with time. Unless he has something to eat that he's not familiar with - then I suddenly notice it again! :lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest EliseA89

I am literally sitting here reading this thread and laughing my butt off! It has to be because I can relate to all the comments like "melting you hair off, stripping paint, windows down in the car, and can't you turn your butt off?!" :lol

My Tommy can have some horrible gas, but usually its because he has had a new treat or something. I have had him for a year now and we still haven't found a diet that solves this, although he was a very worried hound when I got him for some time and as he has settled in he has become much better. I do notice that his stools are rarely firm, usually soft so I am still looking for a food to rid this problem. I would also like to get him back on the forti flora, that was very helpful when I first brought him home.

Guest KatJon

Rhythm has been gassy and has diarrhea but he is new to our house and we are switching food, so I'm hoping it goes away within a few weeks. The smell is awful! Especially in the car :eek

maddie is not so much gassy anymore- she is more of a a burper. and a big one.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest mnblewis1

One of my greys (no longer with us :( ) used to stink bad. He about killed us. We tried switching food but nothing worked. My other two didn't stink at all. I was at an adoption event a couple of months ago and the adoptable I was holding had some serious stink going on. I was embarrased to hold him!

Jimmie has been here about 3 months now and he sleeps with me nightly - usually with the "business end" aimed strategically at my head. So I've been very aware of any digestive issues that he may be experiencing and so far there have only been a couple that woke me up -and thankfully they were brief. Seems that the Kirkland kibble and cooked veggies/meat are just what they need. Neither he nor my girl have any gas like previous hounds of mine have had - once I found the right kibble it all worked out blush.gif

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

Guest greymaroon

Kind of like how a little kid starts laughing really hard and then farts.

Hahaha, that was GREAT! I know exactly what you mean! Especially when they're too young to care, and they just get a kick out of the laugh-fart chain of causation...that has got to be one of the cutest things ever! :lol:lol