Is This A Common Greyhound Trait?

Guest rmaccara

Do one or more of your Grey's have a problem with poisonous flatulence?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Does your dog toot?

• Yes - constantly
    • Sometimes - but it doesn
    • No never - and neither do I!

Guest rmaccara

Being rather new to the Wonderful World of Greyhounds, I've come to the conclusion that we seriously did not consider the relative un-smelly environment that we've become accustomed to! Once Remy dropped into our lives, it becomes absolutely unbearable sometimes. It gets so bad, that Remy gets up and walks out of the room when she toots!

Is this normal, or just part of getting used to her new home?

Edit for spelling...

Edited by rmaccara

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Claire rarely toots - ever. Carl only really seems to toot when he has eaten something out of the ordinary or if I've changed his dog food. I think I might be a rare and lucky one. Maybe constant and lethal tooting just doesn't run in their family :lol

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Hahaha, Myka was very gassy when she first arrived at my house. It's become much better as she's adjusted to her 'off track' food. Though I took her to the office today and she was a little tooty, I think because she was so excited. :P Kind of like how a little kid starts laughing really hard and then farts.

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

It seems typical of new Greys. Either they take a while to adjust to their food or in some cases they are sensitive to the food they are getting. You may need to try others. Particular grains or even grains in general may be a problem. Also, probiotics can really help.

For years I had long haired, heavily shedding dogs and the one just prior to adopting a Grey had lots of GI issues sometimes creating terrible gas problems. We loved him & missed him but not the smell. :sick So next I adopt my little girlie Grey. And they say Greys have little to no body odor & shed only minimally. I thought, this is going to be wonderful. I get my big dog with an easy going personality & my BF gets low shedding & low odor. It's his due for all he's put up with from my dogs. BF drives us in his car to the kennel to pick up my petite flower of a Grey. My dainty, delicate, little lady was shedding profuse amounts of her kennel coat as she gets into his car. A few miles down the road the most horrible smell wafts forward from the back seat. :yikes My BF's pained expression will always stay with me. All he could manage to say, in a bit of a breathless whisper was, "Not again."

Now my girl is gas free for the most part though too many treats with grains can cause the stinkies. She also sheds very little. Gas, it is the Greyhounds smelly little secret but it isn't forever once you find the right food.

Guest KennelMom

A little gas can be normal...just like people. But it shouldn't really be untolerable...that would point to some sort of GI upset or unrest. If it persists after a month or so on a new food, I'd consider maybe that food doesn't agree with the dog...but you have to give new dogs a chance to settle in. Excessive bad gas can also be a symptom of giardia, which can flair up in times of stress.

Opie only does when his tummy is upset (as in the last few days!) He stinks up the whole house! When he does this, I know something is wrong.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

My daughter brought Goose home from North Carolina the week of Thanksgiving. We live in Maryland. It is a 6.5 hour drive. She and her boyfriend loaded this extremely nervous grey into the back of her Jeep Cherokee. They had been on the road for less than 15 minutes, when the stench rolled up front from the back. Apparently, the air clouded up! It was so bad that they had to drive the entire way home with the windows rolled down and her boyfriend's head hanging out the window. Fortunately, after a couple days at home, he was fine. Otherwise, we get reminders once in a while, but nothing that peels paint!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Guest 4dogscrazy

I have three hounds, and the only time they stink is when their food is not agreeing with them! We've made a lot of changes trying to find the right food, Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream is the only thing that keeps them all happy at the same time and with solid poops. Note the other flavors of TOTW did NOT agree with them. :puke I do agree though that stress will bring it on, like just coming home in the beginning. If it's been a month, and I think thats what you said, I'd try another food. I think two weeks is long enough for the tummy to settle down on a new food. Good luck!

Our boys have serious gas issues on kibble and the only helpful supplement was digestive enzymes. So much so that we ran out once and knew within 24 hours this product was worth it's weight in gold. We eventually switched to raw and that has cleared up every issue we've had.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest wmlcml6

My friend Anne's 90+ lb grey used to have some gassy issues, and she would give him a tablespoon of 100% pumpkin (not pie filling) with his food in the morning, and a tablespoon of yogurt in the evening meal. This seemed to help a lot.

Wendy's emissions peeled all the paint off the walls the first couple of months. Then we switched to a (mostly) grain-free diet and added Fotiflora to her meals once daily. Now, we rarely get a toot.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest rmaccara

We've only had Remy for one week, so she's still getting used to her food. We're feeding her Kirkland Lamb kibble (from Costco), and just today started giving a tablespoon of plain yogurt.

We're not sure what she was fed in prison, but I would suspect it was dry food and not what she had while racing.

I appreciate all your answers and comments!

Thanks,

Rob

It seems to be worse with stress. When we first brought Argus home, he had never been in a car or in a house. He was terribly stressed. On the 3-hour drive, we were locked in a car with gaseous emissions so bad that we coughed and our eyes watered, even with the windows rolled down. It was absolutely horrible. His gas problem eventually improved as he relaxed and settled into the household, and got better when we switched foods.

All of mine occasionally let off a stinky one, but it isn't constant. I think as your hound settles into her new environment and you find the right food for her, you'll find that her gas is a lot less frequent (and less lethal).

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest caelanarcher

Aaron used to have terrible, eye-watering, paint-stripping Farts of Doom. This made for a verrrrrrry long car trip when we visited my parents 200 miles away, with all the windows open.

After we switched him to Kirkland food, though, the farts have absolutely disappeared. It's a miracle!

Guest selori

Our former greyhound had horrible smelly gas when he was nervous. For example, while waiting for the vet in the exam room, or when barricaded out of the dining room during Christmas dinner.

His gas was frequent and deadly for the first few months, but he had terrible separation anxiety, so he was often nervous. Eventually, his gas became a rare occurance, but then it would catch us off guard (like in the middle of the night)!!

Guest cheltzey

Lando has the worst gas. It's TERRIBLE. However, he also has giardia, so I'm sure that's part of the problem. We've treated it once, but symptoms are back, so I plan on calling the vet to ask for more meds instead of another expensive stool sample. But good luck with the gas. It's the worst at night for us--so much for sweet dreams!

Guest Longdog

Willie and Whizzy have been with us a week and we have them on a higher grade science plan kibble (they were on the cheaper racing kibble n kennels). The are taking a little time to adjust. the kennels fed them at lunchtime just once a day, I am feeding 2 (sometimes 3) smaller meals a day at regular times. They are gassy on cooked meat such as chicken but raw beef and raw chicken they seem fine on.

Seldom. My dogs get an acidophiles pill and yogurt in their food.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Have never had an issue, even when dogs first came home.

Might be one or two fragrance incidents if dog is sick or we feed something that doesn't agree, but those are few and far between.

We don't give yogurt, pumpkin, or probiotics.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest caliebsmom

Calieb has been quite gassy since coming home. He has only been with us for a week so I'm hoping it's a combination of getting used to his new family and his new food.