Is This A Common Greyhound Trait?

Guest rmaccara

Do one or more of your Grey's have a problem with poisonous flatulence?  

299 members have voted

1. 1. Does your dog toot?

• Yes - constantly
    • Sometimes - but it doesn
    • No never - and neither do I!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FNACOURT

One of my Greys is very sensitive to grains. I have to feed him Grain free food otherwise, he will clear a room with his gas! I have also found that if the Grain free food contains "Peas", he will pass a lot of gas. So far, Taste of the Wild, Pacific Stream, agrees with him the best. The other flavors contain peas and give him gas. Giving him an Acidophilus pill with each meal has also helped.

• 8 months later...
Guest Lady_Catherine

Bessie had a few "clear the room" moments when we first had her. I'm not sure if it was her old food, the stress, or her hookworms, but WOW. It was BAD. Sarah the Wonder Dog (our dachshund spaniel) had had some bad gas here and there, but not often, and not like Bessie's!

Now we've switched her food to grain free and give her a spoon of yogurt, and she's settling in. She is far less gassy, but who knows which of the things we have done was the helper?

396053_10100145723925302_163285981_n.jpg

Well I chose never because my hounds rarely pass gas, aside from the occasional air that escapes when Z stretches :lol but if I'm being honest, I do. :P

I would say excessive gas is a sign that the food isn't sitting right. My fosters often pass nasty gas, but my raw fed dogs do not. And frankly, I do it less when I'm eating an appropriate diet for myself too. :)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest GenetJen

Ha! My boy (Auggie) farts constantly...wakes himself up. In 7 years, I don't think I've ever heard Maya once. (She's a lady!)

Guest cashie

Cash has also been known to clear out a room. We switched his food to Blue Buffalo and it was 10 times worse! Switched again to Nutro Natural Choice and it decreased a lot! We now feed him chicken, raw hamburger and potatoes mixed in with his regular food (and occasionally some spinach but don't tell him!) He is still a little gassy at times but its not NEARLY as smelly.

Its actually quite comical-he toots, it scares him, and then he gives you an incredulous look like you were the one that did it!

Guest Celestrina

Its actually quite comical-he toots, it scares him, and then he gives you an incredulous look like you were the one that did it!

You know what they say - he who denied it supplied it.

Guest jmckeone

Kona can really drop some bombs, im pretty sure its related to her new food. They say it can take 6-8 weeks for them to adjust....I hope not!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CharlEYp

At least twice a day and usually when i'm eating of sitting on the floor! lol i was told the kibble we feed can cause it but it's not too toxic, no worse than my bf's! lol

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest cruzNhounds

My boy can peel the paint off the walls.....my girl never stinks! Go figure! She is such a diva!

:spoot

Dusty was the same way, maybe it's a guy thing? :dunno

my girls don't toot too much that I know of, but you know when they do cuz you need to get a room deodorizer in or open the windows. Its usually when they have grumbly stomachs. They are no where near as bad a friend's grey who the girls have play dates with, he can peel the paint off the wall at times and even worse when you are stuck in the van with him and its cold outside or soo hot that it won't help to open the windows! But I love him anyways!

Kathy, Bo (SK's Bozo), and Angels Storm (Greys Big Storm), Grace (Rise to Glory) and Sky(Greys Sky Dove),

My dog believes I go to work for their food and treats.

I gave Bobby half a hard boiled egg with his breakfast this morning, big mistake, we are sharing the sofa and he has bottom at my end so you imagine why I say it was a big mistake.

Opie only does when his tummy is upset (as in the last few days!) He stinks up the whole house! When he does this, I know something is wrong.

VERY cute name ~~ absolutely love it; I bet he's one happy-go-lucky little guy! I know I'm showing my age ~~ with Andy Griffith whistling in my head, lol.

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Only my kibble fed dogs "toot" and it stinks. My raw fed dogs don't. They have NO bad breath, none. It's wonderful but the kibble eating dogs, it's another story!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

• 2 weeks later...

We braced ourselves for the worst when Carlos came into our lives, especially since he was on antibiotics from tail surgery, and had a very upset stomach. Then I thought that something was wrong with him, because he WASN'T farting (and when he did, it just smelled like tortilla chips). Now he is used to his home and food, and still, no farts. We are so lucky.

vU6RQ.jpg

Nube dropped CONSTANT devastating farts on the home cooked he got for the 2 months he fought cancer. Larry frequently toots and they're pretty bad too. It must be more of a GH thing, our other 3 non-gh's never were this bad :lol

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

• 1 year later...
Guest Lillypad

My hound... Very, Very, Very Rarely. I would have checked the "Never" box.... but since you added... "Neither do I", that would be a lie, cause personally I "toot" often. I like to believe she does not have gas because she is RAW feed, can't say the same for myself... LOL