Dewclaws?

Guest warpsfalcon

Do your greys still have their dewclaws?  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Do your greys still have their dewclaws?

• No, they were removed at the farm (list owner if you know)
    • No, I had them removed (please explain why)
    • Yes, but I am thinking of having them removed (why?)
    • Yes, they're not a problem

Guest warpsfalcon

I did a search and didn't find too much so I thought in the spirit of surveys that I would start a poll. The options are( hopefully) self-explanatory. If your grey still has their dewclaws and you don't have plans for them then there isn't really reason to explain.

One of my greys had his dewclaws removed at the farm. My other two both have their dewclaws; one of them is kind of clumsy and my vet recommended removing them and the other one is fine. If you had your grey's removed please let us know why and if you are thinking about it I would likewise like to see the reasoning. Thanks!

-Jeff

P.S. I hope this is the right forum, if not would a mod please move it.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i voted removed but thats not quite right...

true came to me with one dewclaw removed and one intact.

she caught the dewclaw she had on something and it hurt her and she proceeded to CHEW IT OFF.

now its growing back slowly...

im not sure if the owner removed both but one was not totalyl removed and it grew back, or if true was born with only oone or what...

Davie still has his dewclaws, but he is constantly getting them caught and torn. However, removing dewclaws is NOT the done thing here in the UK. You would be highly unlikely to find a vet that would do it.

They just keep repairing his injuries!

Guest EllenEveAndBaz

I'm glad both of mine's were already removed when I got them. I like them not having the dewclaws to get caught in things. If they weren't already removed, I'd probably ask to have them cut off if the dog was having to be anesthesized already for a dental or something.

I was not too sure which option to select. Cleo has her dews and has not hurt them....yet. I have heard so much about them getting ripped or torn. This is the reason I was considering their removal. If we do, It would only be when she eventually has to be under for a dental.

Ace still has hers and they're not a problem. One of the dogs at the kennel has no dew claws and it looks like they were removed as opposed to being born without them...he's very tall and lanky...my guess is they were a problem.

If, in the future, I adopt a dog and it has dew claws that look like they'll be a problem (if they're angled out almost perpendicular to the leg :blink: I've seen a couple of dogs with dew claws like that) I will ask that they be removed when the dog is under for it's spay/neuter and dental. I'll pay the extra bucks if it means saving a dog from ripping it's toenail out while running or having it get caught in a blankie.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest 6hounds4Iggies

We have five hound...four still have theirs and only one does not. Bruno came from the Ballard kennels in Oklahoma. I would prefer that they be removed but so far none of the others have had a problem. :unsure

Debbie

I voted "yes, they were removed". We have three dogs, and only one dewclaw--and a distorted one at that. The vet says it looks like they tried to removed it and "botched it up". It's already been snagged/pulled off/dangling three times in two years; the vet was supposed to remove it during Buddy's dental a year ago, but forgot.

Rascal and Ruby are dewclawless, thank heavens!

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

Patrick has his, with no problems, but with future dogs I'd consider removal if there were problems.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest ProudGreyMom

I didn't have an option there to vote. Jake still has all of his dew claws but Andy came to me with his removed. I believe this was done at the Plainfield track in CT.

Guest greybeliever

Both of mine came to me minus dewclaws so I am assuming that they were removed at the farm. My female's owner was Riggin Racing & my male's owner was Phil Pruett.

2 dogs, 4 dewclaws, no big problems. Have cracked a nail down to the quick, not a big deal since not a weight-bearing toe. And right now, B. has a cut from the cat incident that sort of goes around and under his dewclaw. Kinda hard to examine, but.

Have more problems with stopper pad -- we're always scalping those and leaving little trails of blood around.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest warpsfalcon
Have more problems with stopper pad -- we're always scalping those and leaving little trails of blood around.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I wrap my dogs with vet-wrap when I know they're going to be out playing hard to keep it from happening. So far it's been quite successful, I just need to remember to do it :)

Anyone else take preventative measures?

-Jeff

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I have six and two were removed at the farm, one I had them removed when she went in for her spay and the other three still have them.

Some farmers remove them when the pups are born. Some farmers believe that that dew claw helps support the dogs leg when they race. I, myself, am for having them removed when they are born. There is less injury to deal with at the tracks and your not torn to pieces when you go play with the puppies out in the pens if they don't have dew claws.

The way I see it is if the dogs have them and they don't cause problems then you might as well leave them. If they cause problems have them removed on there next visit.

I wish that all pups had them removed shortly after there born. Less problems to have it done when they are very young, less damage to the dog when they get older, less damage to the people that handle them.

Heather & the hounds

Guest FullMetalFrank

Iberia did not have them, don't know if they were removed (probably) or if he was born without? Frank still has his, I'd prefer he didn't but so far we've had no trouble. They just look like an injury waiting to happen, though! I keep the nails clipped short as I can.

Guest Designer

Both of mine have thiers. Fox caught his on something and had to have it clipped at the vet but not removed. The vet said that they could be removed if it happened a lot but that unlike other dogs greys had them for a "reason" they needed them. I don't know why unless maybe it helps them make sharp turns?

Guest Ferrevergrey

I didn't vote because my dogs aren't greyhounds. Since Kristi was born to be a hunting dog, she had hers removed when she was a couple days old. My lurcher, though, never had his removed as a baby, and we ended up having to pay to have them removed a couple years ago because they kept catching on things and where very painful!

Psi no probably removed at farm

Cassie yes but cause her no problem

Does anyone know if it hurts them when they are removed as puppys? Cause if it didnt cause trama I would say remove all as puppys but if it hurts them or does cause "running" issues they are just something (like the whip "happy tail" that gets cut all the time) I'll deal with.

Edited by jamngrey

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Blue came with no sign of dewclaws, can' even see scars where they would normally be, as he was a stray & never raced (no tattoos) he must have had them removed shortly after birth or been born without...he was about 10mo. old when i got him, had been at the rescue centre since he was about 6mo. old...

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.