Dewclaws?

Guest warpsfalcon

Do your greys still have their dewclaws?  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Do your greys still have their dewclaws?

• No, they were removed at the farm (list owner if you know)
    • No, I had them removed (please explain why)
    • Yes, but I am thinking of having them removed (why?)
    • Yes, they're not a problem

Guest Celestes_Dad

Celeste had her dewclaws removed... and she came from a farm in Kansas.... My wife knows the name of the breeder - I forget her name all the time..

Her signature for her greys is giving them ICU names...

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SillyDog

Both mine still have theirs. Prancer doesn't have tattoos & I don't know where he came from. Carly is JG Carlotta. So far, knock on wood, neither has had a problem with the claws.

Carly will skin the stopper pads if she runs fast & curvy, though. Prancer is 10 and does not run fast and curvy anymore....except inside where he can't really get up enough momentum to skin the stopper, plus he's not as fast as Carly to begin with.

Guest LynnM

Joplin *had* his when I got him. He's torn them both out so many times while coursing and free running that neither grow back any more.

Lynn

Blue came with no sign of dewclaws, can' even see scars where they would normally be, as he was a stray & never raced (no tattoos) he must have had them removed shortly after birth or been born without...he was about 10mo. old when i got him, had been at the rescue centre since he was about 6mo. old...

i need to amend my earlier post, a. now have millie as well as blue, millie has her dewclaws. blue went to the doctor to have a lump removed on his 'wrist' and we discovered he has vestigal dew claws under the skin which never developed further, but they ARE there, if they havent bothered him in 5 years, probably won't.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Gogh4It

I'm trying to remember who has them & who doesn't...I know Snowy & Jack don't...they're both from the same owner. Lets see, Pegasus, Banker, Gogh, Pipi, Dear, BuyCut & I think Gabby all have them....Pegasus chews his nails off his dews.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest cosmicmouse

All three of mine and my foster have their dew calws. I work with a group and have never seen a dog without them. I have never heard of greys havig thier claws removed and my grandad is bookmaker on the tracks and he said that its not really done in the UK. I am surprised so many in the US have them removed.

• 2 months later...
Guest KelseysLackey

Kelsey came to us with both dew claws intact, but at some point a few years back, one of them disappeared. One day it was there and the next it was gone! The area was red, but there was no real bleeding and no sign of any real trauma. Kelsey has never been really active, and at the time this happened, I was with her for all her walks. It remains a mystery to this day. . . .

Guest DutchCheddar
Dutch didn't have dew claws when we got him. He was a "Koerner Kennels" dog from Kansas.

huh... I wonder if that's SOP Sequoia (Dutch Cheddar) grew up on the Koerner's farm as well...( I spoke with Mrs. Koerner a while back and she's a doll)...and, she too, hasn't got her dewclaws (thank God).

Guest ntrede2go

Bailey had his removed, he is a Dutch Koerner dog as well. (Mr. Koerner is also a very nice person, I got a lovely note from him when I sent away for ownership transfer). Romeo has his front dews, but they have never been a problem, other than a little tougher to cut down.

• 1 year later...

Sterling came to me without them but Kelsey still has both of hers. Unfortunately she has caught them 3 times already. The vet just trims it and wraps. I do worry about it.

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Guest FrostyBottoms

Frosty doesn't have them and Vinny does...I wish Vinny didn't have them, but I don't think I would put him through the torture of removing them now....

Oba's were removed. Dita and Best have theirs. I thought it was a bit odd because Dita and Oba came from the same farm.

Lexi the pointeresque mutt (1999), Homer the chi mix (2010) and Lacey the ? (2009). Always remembering Dita, Best, Oba, Bubba, and the others at the bridge.

• 1 year later...