Dewclaws?

Guest warpsfalcon

Do your greys still have their dewclaws?  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Do your greys still have their dewclaws?

• No, they were removed at the farm (list owner if you know)
    • No, I had them removed (please explain why)
    • Yes, but I am thinking of having them removed (why?)
    • Yes, they're not a problem

Morgan came to us without the dewclaws. Her owner was Phil Pruett.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Naples has her dewclaws, and aside from a broken nail once in a blue moon, we've never had a problem. *knock wood*

Gunnnar came to us w/out his dewclaws.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Girlie and Maggie both arrived with dew claws intact. Although, early on Maggie tore one dew claw twice in three weeks while running - which tore the skin behind it a bit, and the first time ripped the sheath right off the claw. Our vet said she was keeping what was left of it so clean, no treatment or action (like pulling it out - ouch!) was necessary, thank goodness. She's had no further trouble with it since the claw regrew and it healed up.

Pharaoh has both his dew-claws. I try to keep the short with no snags so he doesn't catch them on anything. :)

pharaoh.jpg

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> LE 62663

</span></span>

<span style='font-size:10pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:blue'> RE 126E

</span></span>

When I was into showing and and breeding Shelties, we always removed rear dewclaws (not all pups are born with them, in that breed, anyway). Removal of front dewclaws was a breeder's preference.

As to the question if it hurts. Well, sure it does. They should be removed by 3 days of age and it is relatively easy unless they are large dewclaws.

As many of us assisted in the whelping process, we found it was easy to remove them at birth once established the pup was stable. In most cases, just took a pinch with some hemostats, a clip of the skin with scissors and some Quck stop, if needed. Very quick, very little stress on the pup or the mom.

Actually, it was often an indication to us if we saw other Shelties (of questionable breeding) or got those in rescue with rear dewclaws. Usually a good indication of poor or uneducated breeding practices.

Given my druthers, wish the Greys had they all removed also if they serve no usefull purpose. JMHO :)

Stella came to us with no dewclaws.

My inlaws have had their lab/mix into the vet several times for getting dewclaw caught and torn, finally the vet removed them.

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Sidney's were removed, Perry still has his. No problems. Sometimes I file their nails with an emery board, to make sure they don't snag on anything. :)

Kathryn, “Broadway” BW’s Broadway: Shaggy Bessie x Jimbo Red Rose, & "Ellie" Noah's Smelldog: Castor Troy x Mulberry Jade. My Angels "Sidney" Rainier Rapper: Rainier Ranger x Rainier Rapport (09/03/2001-2/26/2012); "Pistol" Tiowa Pistol: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-8/02/2011); “Perry" Tiowa Perry: Rapido Rambo x My Roz (11/19/1998-6/09/2010); "Jackie" Mjp's Jackie: Joey Flint x Social Robin (6/12/1997-6/20/2008)

• 1 month later...

Cindy raced and still has her dewclaws, but recently broke one when she went on her evening tear around the house. It was sort of snapped in the middle with half of it hanging off, so we had to clip the part that was hanging. Not pleasant. This is the first time we've ever had problems with them, so at this point, we're not considering removal.

Jolt had his removed at the farm and they only cut half of one off, so he has a little peice of toenail that grows real slow and brittle. I just keep it trimmed.

Cee Cee came to us at 9 weeks old, they spayed her but did not remove her dew claws. She has already torn one while running. They are not real attractive, but I would not remove them unless they become a problem.

I have a Great Pyreneese that has big double dew claws on each back leg and they are just plain gross looking! They don't bother him and it is common to leave them on Pyr's, so I am just going to leave them alone. They are HUGE! It takes some good nail clippers and some hand strenght to cut them!

Noma

Guest Fool4Greys

I have 4 Greyhounds, only the youngest had her dewclaws removed by the breeder. She is 2 yrs old and the rest are all seniors.

I noticed on my fosters that the young ones do not have the dewclaws where the ones do.

Laura

Raxley's were removed at the farm by his owner Marc Randle in Kansas.

That's interesting, because Marc was the owner of SM and Angel, and they both have their dew claws. Festus doesn't, his owner was Helen Stout.

Tami, Nikki & Gypsy (non-greyhounds, but still pretty good dogs.) Deeply missing Sunscreen Man, Angel (Back on the Job), Switzler Festus and Joe (Indio Starr)

Guest WebErika

Both of ours have theirs and they aren't a problem (knock on wood) ... ours also came from the UK and it's illegal to have cats declawed, so I would assume, like the poster way above, that it's also not practised on greys over there.

Anyone else from the UK with more info?

Wren didn't have them when I got her, Tyler did. Tyler chews on his when he gets bored. :unsure

Deanna with galgo Willow, greyhound Finn, and DH Brian
Remembering Marcus (11/16/93 - 11/16/05), Tyler (2/3/01 - 11/6/06), Frazzle (7/2/94 - 7/23/07), Carrie (5/8/96 - 2/24/09), Blitz (3/28/97 - 6/10/11), Symbra (12/30/02 - 7/16/13), Scarlett (10/10/02 - 08/31/13), Wren (5/25/01 - 5/19/14),  Rooster (3/7/07 - 8/28/18), Q (2008 - 8/31/19), and Momma Mia (2002 - 12/9/19).

Guest GreyStaatsmann

Does anyone know the purpose for dewclaws?

I would like to have Chloe's removed because one seems very sensitive to grinding. :( Nail is actually thicker at the tip than the base. Will see what Doc has to say first.

• 2 years later...
Guest Kipsmom

Kip doesn't have his, they were removed at the farm but I don't know the owner.

Blue had hers, but they gave her no problems.

Nate has his removed.

Chloe, Benson and Polly all have theirs. I voted no problem despite Polly pulling out her nail shortly after she came home.

As someone had mentioned, I also think they help support the leg and the dogs do use them when running and turning.

I have noticed that more people running amateur racing events wrap their dogs' dew claws. This protects the dew claw but also protects the pads when stopping.

I would not consider removing an adults dogs dew claw unless there was an issue anymore than I would consider removing one of their other toes. It is not a simple procedure on an adult dog.

Kim, (PW's) Nate Dogg and Chloe (TJ Zorabell) - always in our hearts, (Racey) Benson and Polly (Racey Pauline)

allpups.jpg

NaturallyGrey Email List

Our current grey, Belen, came to us with no dewclaws,

and we couldn't be more pleased.

Our previous grey, still had his, but only ever injured them twice.

Also, one of the times he injured himself, they were wrapped (not very well, apparently).

In my mind, twice hardly necessitated surgery for removal,

but it sure is nice to not have an option for that potential pain & suffering.

Cheers,

-C

IPB Image