Dewclaws?

Guest warpsfalcon

Do your greys still have their dewclaws?  

392 members have voted

1. 1. Do your greys still have their dewclaws?

• No, they were removed at the farm (list owner if you know)
    • No, I had them removed (please explain why)
    • Yes, but I am thinking of having them removed (why?)
    • Yes, they're not a problem

Guest Ashley
Sadie still has hers on her back paws, but they cause no problems :)

I have never known a dog to have dewclaws on the back paws before. Surely this must be pretty rare?

:lol I just came online to fix that. I don't know what I was smoking that day, but alas, they are on her front paws, not back. My bad!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EMcElfresh

Gordon still has his - and they've never been an issue - even when he's tearin' it up around the park :dunno I call them his "thumbs" :D

Edited by EMcElfresh

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hlpnhounds

Logan does not have his dews. Our present foster does but hers sit nice and tight against her leg.

Posh has dew claws that look like thumbs. They stick almost straight out from her legs. I plan to have them removed if she ever has to go under anesthesia for anything else but am not planning to put her under just for that.

I didn't answer the poll because of my 3, two have dew claws and one does not. MoMo, who came from Bill and Cathie Lambert's wonderful farm/kennel had her dew claws removed as a pup. Piper and Spirit still have theirs.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest Rogersmom

Roger was an Oops Puppy. I do not think he has his dewclaws. If they were removed, I do not know where it was done. Given I got him at 7 1/2 weeks, I voted that they were removed at the farm. Not being really sure what they look like, I do not think he has them. Roger came from a farm in Kansas. I do not know who the owner was. He was born July 29, 2008.

Edited by Rogersmom

My girl's dew claws were removed prior to her retirement. (Yay!) She ran a full racing career. Both of my other Greys dew claws are in tact. My boy ripped one of his while running/playing outside; then, the E.R. visit (hearing him scream and cry from the back patient room as they "short clipped" it), and $250.00 later, it grew back for another potential rip! I wish they were all removed, but I understand it's like an amputation of bone.

Guest redreed

Tiger Shark's had been removed but Jocko has his. Until I got Jock, I assumed (that'll teach me) that they were always removed. I was really surprised that he had them. Tiger's owner was Jack Jones.

Guest RocketDog

My current foster (who gets adopted tonight!!) had hers removed, but whomever did them did a poor job of it and left part of one behind. It actually grows this creepy little half-nail, too. I just clipped it down to the skin (no quick that I could find, it just looks like a little twig) and I'll make sure to show her new family that it's there so it doesn't get forgotten.

Logan does not have his dews. Our present foster does but hers sit nice and tight against her leg.

Posh has dew claws that look like thumbs. They stick almost straight out from her legs. I plan to have them removed if she ever has to go under anesthesia for anything else but am not planning to put her under just for that.

Kieran did not have her dew claws when she came to us - I assume they were done when she was a puppy, which is when they should be done, in my opinion! Otis' back ones were done but he still had his front ones and they were similar to what you are describing. He caught one on something a few months ago and ripped the nail partly off. The vet trimmed the nail right off but said it would grow back, which it did. Because his dew claws did stick out like thumbs, I had her remove them when he went in for his dental a few weeks ago. She and I agreed that we didn't want to put him under anaesthetic just for dew claws, especially when he was due for a dental this fall. He doesn't miss them at all!