Injection Question and Milo CLL Pupdate

After his roller coaster down about six weeks ago, Milo has slowly been coming up again.  I don't know whether it was the chronic lymphatic leukemia (CLL) or the rear end weakness, or both, or something else ... .  I am just so happy he is feeling pretty good again, right now.  We had to shorten his walks for a while and his appetite was not good, and now he is back to enjoying full mile walks even in what passes for heat here.  He's eating slightly smaller portions enthusiastically, as long as they have seal-of-approval toppers.   His pertinent complete blood count numbers went down a little during the slump.  Platelets were lowish, and red blood cell numbers had gone down from normal sighthound to just normal dog range.  I don't anticipate doing another blood count again.  It is what it is, and we can't do anything about it.  

His third Librela shot for arthritis is coming up again.  I botched the last one and had to buy another.  I've given shots to humans before and figured this would be no problem, but I can't tell when I've pierced the skin with that tiny needle.  There is just no resistance at all.  Milo's fur is on the long side for a greyhound, so it's hard to determine visually.  Last time we figured out I poked the needle through the entire fold (both sides) of the neck scruff I was holding and injected the Librela on top of the fur on the other side of the fold, without realizing it.  Anybody have any tips?  The vet's office will gladly do it, but Milo has developed a dislike of having his neck scruff grabbed and I don't want him associating the vet's office with that.  

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

I am so happy to hear Milo is feeling more like his old self :beatheart

I am afraid I am no help with the shots, the last time I gave anyone a shot was the insulin injections for my diabetic cat 20+ years ago

Not sure if this helps but is how I was shown to give fluids.  Was pull up/scruff the skin if you think of the scruffed skin as a tunnel insert the needle same direction you would drive through the tunnel so you do not end up going passed the scruff.  Hope it helps only did fluids once so I am sure you will get better help from experienced shot givers.

• Like 2

Great advice above; that's how they teach you with cats and insulin. Don't feel bad; it's such a common thing to happen that they call it a "fur shot" on the feline diabetes board. If you smell that telltale band-aid insulin smell, you know you did it.

Happy to hear that Milo is doing so well. :beatheart 

53827132849_248d9686fd_o.jpg

Rachel with Doolin Doodle Dooooo, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our gorgeous, gutsy girlhounds
 Sweep and Willa:heart

Glad Milo has perked up! We just went through a similar thing - our Oakley also has CLL and kind of crashed although her relevant numbers weren’t bad. She mostly stopped eating and lost 5 lbs on an already skinny frame. The last blood test revealed she had some kind of infection, they couldn’t tell where, plus swollen liver and spleen. After 1 day of antibiotics, and some gabapentin, she recovered her appetite and has become her old self. We have now finished the antibiotics. She is 9 and on Librela as well. So far so good…fingers crossed here for both our dogs!

Go, Oakley go!  Her experience is making me re-think my no-bloodwork decision.  Could they feel the swollen liver and spleen, or did that require some sort of imaging?  

Tunnel concept sounds very helpful for shots.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

No help with the technique as such but Buds used to have his injection anywhere between the neck scruff and shoulder blades. He would always have his harness on so often the injection would be really quite low down. Maybe that will help a bit if it’s the pulling of the neck that he dislikes?

Also, very glad to hear how well he is doing!

Edited by MerseyGrey
Well wishing!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

14 hours ago, EllenEveBaz said:

Go, Oakley go!  Her experience is making me re-think my no-bloodwork decision.  Could they feel the swollen liver and spleen, or did that require some sort of imaging?  

Tunnel concept sounds very helpful for shots.

Yes, she had an ultrasound, but the vets knew something was up as she was tender in the abdomen upon palpitation. But we haven’t received treatment for the mildly swollen organs (plus biopsies which were not ’suspicious’) beyond the antibiotic and gabapentin. It’s that kind of vet…one thing leads to another investigation…
The regular blood tests are probably the most valuable for a snapshot of what’s going on. We are going ahead with treatment when her numbers get bad, all going well. But we have also learned over the years that just because you CAN treat something doesn’t mean you should. We are watching her closely for any sign she’s resigned from the struggle. Best of luck with your boy.

Edited by spottydog

For fluids, I was taught to pull up some skin (maybe an inch wide) and aim for the indentation at the bottom at a slight (very slight) downward angle. When I adopted a diabetic kitty, the tech suggested pulling back on the plunger slightly after I thought the needle was in--if it is, there will be resistance, if the needle is not in or all the way through, there will be little resistance and air will enter the syringe. 

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Success (I'm pretty sure) with the tunnel shot!  I got mixed up with when to pull back on the plunger -- didn't try it till after I gave the shot and got all worried because there was no resistance.   No wet fur felt.  Hound placated with peanut butter.  

• Like 1

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg