Are corns ever just a "one and done"? Updated with pic

I think Willa has a corn on her front left foot. I don't see a distinct border yet but there are some telltale signs, like limping on rough surfaces and a hard-feeling spot in the pad. Miss Jan graciously sent us a boot to try and I've joined the Greyhounds with Corns FB group. We're doing Bag Balm and colloidal silver. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a greyhound with a corn that resolved and never came back, or it's always a lifelong affliction. (Give me some hope, people! :lol)

Edited by ramonaghan

52596614938_aefa4e9757_o.jpg

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly
 Sweep:heart

The flexor tendoctomy operation seems to be the flavour of the month as a cure. Guinness had it done before I adopted him and that toe has remained corn free since although he has one on his other front foot so might consider having it done to that toe too.

Grace on the other hand has suffered with corns for over 5 years often having 3 on each of her front feet. I have tried everything apart from the flexor tendoctomy operation as she wouldn't have any operational toes left and nothing really works so I just manage the condition by taking her in the car to the park for walks.

I believe some dogs are lucky in that once it comes out it doesn't come back or they grow out of it. I hope Willa is one of the lucky ones.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

Petunia had them constantly and I think that Kate also had them if I'm remembering correctly. 

I think there's a thread somewhere talking about using the Burt's Bees Hand Salve to soften them. I know that's what Miss Petunia had rubbed into her pads every night for her "corns spa treatment."

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

I use the "Duck" tape method.  And, it must be Duck tape brand or it doesn't work.  The corn softens and can easily be scraped out even with my fingernail.  But, alas, it does return, but my dog does get a few weeks of relief.  I have been lucky, in that, my corn dogs have only had one each to contend with.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

On 1/28/2023 at 10:46 AM, ramonaghan said:

I think Willa has a corn on her front left foot. I don't see a distinct border yet but there are some telltale signs, like limping on rough surfaces and a hard-feeling spot in the pad. Miss Jan graciously sent us a boot to try and I've joined the Greyhounds with Corns FB group. We're doing Bag Balm and colloidal silver. I'm just wondering if anyone has ever had a greyhound with a corn that resolved and never came back, or it's always a lifelong affliction. (Give me some hope, people! :lol)

We got the flexor tenotomy done and yes the operated toes never have had corns come back. But her opposing toes did get some corns. Overall though she is so much more comfortable after the surgery than before. 7 corn toes total, never went away, always came back, until the FT procedure. 

Thanks for the replies! For now we're still mostly in "watch and wait" mode, but I have Duck tape and boots handy if and when this thing starts to emerge. I definitely feel "something" if I squeeze the pad, but I can't get clear margins on it. We'll keep up the paw balm and if we're at the vet anytime soon, I'll get their opinion. They see a lot of greys and thus a lot of corns.

Edited by ramonaghan

Rachel with littermates Doolin and Willa, boss cat Tootie, and feline squatters Crumpet and Fezziwig.
Missing gentlemen kitties MudHenry, and Richard and our beautiful, feisty, silly

10 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

Thanks for the replies! For now we're still mostly in "watch and wait" mode, but I have Duck tape and boots handy if and when this thing starts to emerge. I definitely feel "something" if I squeeze the pad, but I can't get clear margins on it. We'll keep up the paw balm and if we're at the vet anytime soon, I'll get their opinion. They see a lot of greys and thus a lot of corns.

My biggest concern with the FT surgery was anesthesia but besides that the healing was super easy for my girl! It did take a few months for the corns to fully fall out from the deep roots but once they did it was an amazing change in her walking abilities. She was very hobbled by corns before surgery. Her pads after surgery were finally soft and normal. 

I must have forgotten to hit post several days ago.  Just FYI

Very very very occasionally you will see a corn resolve after being removed, but unless you address the underlying ligament issue causing the altered gait they will almost always come back.

In the FB group you'll see mention of the Flexor Tenotomy surgery.  This minor surgical procedure basically cuts the toe tendon to the corn toe, releasing the tension causing the corn - basically artificially creating a sprung toe.  This will (usually) cure the corn for good, though it doesn't stop corns from popping up on adjacent toes or other feet.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

My last greyhound Jack was a corn dog.  He was older when he got the corns, I tried colloidal silver, soaks, boots, bag balm, nail polish and duct tape.  For me the best solution was Burt's Bees Hand salve to soften then a dental root elevator (bought from amazon) to get the corns out when ready.  It was a constant process, luckily Jack was cooperative with corn maintenance.  If I had another dog with corns I would not hesitate to use the tenotomy surgery.  I joined the FB group, it provided great advice and support.  Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks of colloidal silver, I think this booger's starting to emerge. There was no border before. What say the experts?

52681670879_dcfbcf8e72_z.jpg

Edited by ramonaghan

• ramonaghan changed the title to Are corns ever just a "one and done"? Updated with pic

Annnd, there’s your corn. Good job!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

9 hours ago, FiveRoooooers said:

Annnd, there’s your corn. Good job!

:ding <_< 
Thank you for confirming. 

Oh, someone on the Facebook group mentioned the nails: we're working on them. This girl's quicks are *right there* and I have quicked her every time I cut her nails. We've just started dremeling instead and I'm hoping that helps them recede. 

21 hours ago, ramonaghan said:

After a couple of weeks of colloidal silver, I think this booger's starting to emerge. There was no border before. What say the experts?

52681670879_dcfbcf8e72_z.jpg

Yep definitely a corn! For my girl, the smaller ones seemed to be deeper and more painful for her than the big ones. It was a constant affliction until the flexor tenotomy, which took me years to work up the courage to do for her. I’m sorry you have a corn baby also. 

15 hours ago, greyhoundparty said:

Yep definitely a corn! For my girl, the smaller ones seemed to be deeper and more painful for her than the big ones. It was a constant affliction until the flexor tenotomy, which took me years to work up the courage to do for her. I’m sorry you have a corn baby also. 

Thank you. We see the vet later this month, so we'll see what he says. :goodluck 

3 minutes ago, greyhoundparty said:

Our corn kids are just trying to help feed the family with their constant grain production :D

:lol Gives a new meaning to "frito feet."