How often your hound gets a dental

Good afternoon,

just looking for some advice.  Toffee had his first dental since he came to us three years ago.  He had two front teeth extracted, vet said he had seven others that he would’ve pulled if he didn’t know we do frequent followups and daily brushing.  My question is the vet said he probably will need yearly dental cleanings.  Is that something anyone else has experienced?  Seems like a lot of anesthesia to me but what do I know?  Toff is fine by the way, drunk but doing ok.  

That does seem a lot although it also depends on how good Toffee's teeth were when you got him. Grace's were in good shape when I got her and although they had gone a little discoloured despite daily brushing and an plaque off additive in her food, the vet never mentioned giving her a dental clean during her three monthly check-ups.

Grace had a dental clean at the adoption agency and another three years later which was done at the same time as a tooth extraction when she had partially knocked a tooth out chasing a squirrel and colliding with a fence post. If she hadn't been so enthusiastic at chasing the tree rat then I don't think she wouldn't have had the dental cleaning done then either.

Grace (Ardera Coleen) b. 18 June 2014 - Gotcha Day 10 June 2018 - Going grey gracefully
Guinness (Antigua Rum) b. 3 September 2017 - Gotcha Day 18 March 2022 - A gentleman most of the time

It really depends on the dog.

I've had greyhounds I could give a full dental to every 6 months, and some that had a dental when they were in the adoption kennel and then not again for years.  With the three we currently have, we are in the process of running everyone through for one, Lilly after 4 or five years, Felicity after 3 years, and Andi after 2 years.  We give a dental chew after meals, and they do get lots of crunchy treats to help with keeping their teeth clean, but I do no brushing separately from that, or add anything into their water.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Rumble had about 30 teeth taken out before I got him, and was supposed to have the rest out before I consulted different vets who recommended I keep what was left, which were very dirty and worn to stumps in some cases. 

I clean his teeth every other day (he thinks toothpaste is treats so he's very willing!) and use a seaweed supplement in his food that's supposed to remove plaque. His remaining teeth still look dirty and to me seem to have a lot of build up near the gum no matter what I do, but I'm always told by the vets that they look fine. :dunno So he's never had a "dental" per se, but I do try to clean them very often myself.

I think I would factor in how old the dog is, and whether or not the dog is any pain from the teeth (if you can tell). And if the dog has got very smelly breath which might indicate a dire need for professional cleaning.
Buddy is 11 and had four teeth extracted almost two years ago. We brush almost daily and he also gets dental gel on a toy and one dental stick after his evening meal. Although he hasn’t seen the vet much in the last two years due to covid, there has been no suggestion that he needs intervention from them to keep his teeth clean. If I were in your shoes I would try and keep on top of it myself and save my pennies for other (more pressing) vet bills!

Buddy Molly 🌈 5/11/10-10/10/23

Thanks for the responses.  Toff is 8 and has been with us 3 years.  He gets his teeth brushed 5 out of 7 days and like some of the above responses thinks it’s a treat so is down for it.  He was pulling away from having his front teeth brushed and it turned out the two pulled were in front.  I started brushing his teeth when his breath started reeking, and it improved almost immediately.  We also use an additive to his food.  Beyond the expense of cleaning, I’m more concerned about yearly anesthesia but guess I’ll see how it goes. Thanks again for your help.

Edited by Toffeesdad

if your dog's teeth were polished after the dental and you give the dog natural items to clean their teeth with a dental should last. i serve raw marrow bones, now cow cheeks(not rawhide and cleans teeth really well) and dry food. yup, it's not that necessary to soak food, there are contrasting opinions, but if it works for you it works. some dogs tolerate bully sticks well, mine haven't in the past, so  i don't go there. part of the GH tooth problem is genetics(like people), diet and teeth that are not polished. 

• 3 weeks later...

A pet shop near me offers an anesthesia free dental clinic once a month.  Does that do the job? I give raw chicken feet or wings every other day or so, and plaque off on food, but do not brush.  Some discoloration/buildup near gum line...

GT-Sig-2-09.jpg

Visit My Website Visit My Etsy Store Visit My eBay Store Part of all proceeds benefit Greyhound adoption